help needed.... On sensor thinging...

wannabes

Apr 9, 2010
as above, i need help on my sensor.... just bought a dslr recently, it seems like theres a dust and some hair line when i took out the lens and see it thru white paper.. Hmmm any advise? The dust is kinda affecting my photo quite alot..... Very big thank u first....

is on your lens or sensor? :dunno:

anyway the simple way to test is to attach your lens on your body... then set to AV mode to f22. then shoot on a clean white piece of paper.

if there is anything on your sensor, the picture will show it.

Have you tried using a blower to clean it? Don't suggest you to touch the sensor.

My SOP when I encounter hair or dust on the sensor, I remove the lens, with the front facing down (don't want more dust dropping in or going in), power up the camera, set the mirror to tilt up (through menu option of manual sensor cleaning), using the blower point inwards to the front of the camera (where the lens used to be), and start pumping the blower ... if it still persists, need to use a sensor cleaner kit which you can buy from most reputable CAMERA shop, not electronics shop (afraid they give you a lower quality product, thus scratching your sensor).

If all else fails, need to ask the service center to do a cleaning of the sensor, may involve some financial transaction.

HTH.

Cheers :)

Have you tried using a blower to clean it? Don't suggest you to touch the sensor.

My SOP when I encounter hair or dust on the sensor, I remove the lens, with the front facing down (don't want more dust dropping in or going in), power up the camera, set the mirror to tilt up (through menu option of manual sensor cleaning), using the blower point inwards to the front of the camera (where the lens used to be), and start pumping the blower ... if it still persists, need to use a sensor cleaner kit which you can buy from most reputable CAMERA shop, not electronics shop (afraid they give you a lower quality product, thus scratching your sensor).

If all else fails, need to ask the service center to do a cleaning of the sensor, may involve some financial transaction.

HTH.

Cheers :)

Actually the best way is still leave to service center to do the cleaning... ;p

Actually the best way is still leave to service center to do the cleaning... ;p
Of course la...

But that's like saying the best thing to do when you have a blown bulb at home is to call the electrician.
Some things can be DIY provided care is taken and all risks involved are understood.

ok already did. With some blower the dust is gone but theres still like ermmm some like thin hairline scratch? imean like back oh the iphone which is un avoidable tiny hairline... For the lens, its totally clean......

one more thing., when i mirror-up, the sensor is TOTALLY CLEAN! And when i the sensor is down, the back part or wad so eva is dirty.. Does that plays a part.???

Last edited:
Of course la...

But that's like saying the best thing to do when you have a blown bulb at home is to call the electrician.
Some things can be DIY provided care is taken and all risks involved are understood.

If free cleanup and I am real noob, then no harm calling the electrician :bsmilie:

Actually my standard answer is also to bring back to have the Pros clean it if still within warranty and they don't charge, blah blah... but in practise (don't tell anyone), I clean my own filter also. Note that you can only clean the filter in front of the sensor - not to be confused with those filter you stick in front of your lens, but your sensor is actually not exposed to the elements; instead there is normally an AA filter (anti aliasing) or in my case, an IR filter for my non-warrantied D70.

one more thing., when i mirror-up, the sensor is TOTALLY CLEAN! And when i the sensor is down, the back part or wad so eva is dirty.. Does that plays a part.???

Nope. But there's no such thing as a TOTALLY CLEAN sensor AA filter either.

I can't believe I actually understood that question!

Nope. But there's no such thing as a TOTALLY CLEAN sensor AA filter either.

I can't believe I actually understood that question!

Oh ok... But then any answer to my doubt? But the hairline thging doesnt effect the photos... Or is it its the focus lens?

If it doesn't affect ur pics, go out & shoot more instead of worrying about this kind of negligible problem.

If u really want to fix the problem, just go down to the camera service centre

If it doesn't affect ur pics, go out & shoot more instead of worrying about this kind of negligible problem.

If u really want to fix the problem, just go down to the camera service centre

Wow bro thanx really big help.. If im a pro like u i wudnt be so dumb to post it here. I noe u are a real pro. But dont go overboard. If theres an alternative ways to solve, y not ask round first before heading down to the centre. Might not noe something bad wud happen if i were to take photos. (duh like i said im a noob) aniwae its a newbies corner... So we dun need a sacarstic pros like u dat likes to show off

i didn't detect any sarcasm.
It's true...
dust in a DSLR is pretty much unavoidable. As long as it doesn't affect your photos, then worrying about it is giving yourself stress for nothing.

The viewfinder in my film SLR is full of specks here and there, but because the dirt is on the viewfinder prism and not on the film rail, each exposure is not affected. So, I decided to save myself the money and not bring it to the service centre... i felt it was unnecessary.

mirror up... then sensor down?
huh?
The mirror moves up and then down again with each exposure. The sensor DOES NOT MOVE at all...

Oh ok... But then any answer to my doubt? But the hairline thging doesnt effect the photos... Or is it its the focus lens?
if you see dust or hair on lens, or thru the viewfinder, can almost certain it won't affect the final photos, blow it away if can, if can't, just leave it at it is.

whether is dust or hair, only what it shows up on final photos that matter. and most of the time is ON the sensor itself. you can do self cleaning or send to service center. and Dream Merchant is correct, there is no 100% clean sensor, so as long it doesn't show up in your photos, don't be too concern about it, this is what horizon_grazer trying to tell you.

we are living a place where dust is everywhere, so dust on lens, viewfinder, or sensor is inevitable. learn to live with that, clean it when necessary.

is on your lens or sensor? :dunno:

anyway the simple way to test is to attach your lens on your body... then set to AV mode to f22. then shoot on a clean white piece of paper.

if there is anything on your sensor, the picture will show it.

did u try this TS?

did u try this TS?

Yep already tried no more dust left with some hairline or wadeva its called... Hmmm will try more shoots.. Aniwae thanx alot guys sorry 4 the misunderstanding... Might be some phobia hehe thanx again 4 the enlightg.... Just dat im new and really curious and take tings seriously

oso can question urself...r u reli looking at white paper? reli gt nothing absolutely on the paper? I think it u want a good look at ur lens, u shd check the lens with good lighting(afternoon+outdoor) and see if u can still see the dust n stuffs...

you can't see the dust that is on your sensor, really.

you would need a magnifying loupe and bright lights to tell for sure.

can you upload 100% crop of your hairline crack

what are you taking photo of, it might be on the thing itself.

Yep already tried no more dust left with some hairline or wadeva its called... Hmmm will try more shoots.. Aniwae thanx alot guys sorry 4 the misunderstanding... Might be some phobia hehe thanx again 4 the enlightg.... Just dat im new and really curious and take tings seriously
new and curious doesn't give you the right to be aggressive towards another CSer, especially when he was not being sarcastic in any way.
please exercise more restraint...