help needed on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithjhee

May 20, 2003
toa payoh
Visit site
Hi, i am intending to get PC133 256mb ram and a external ethernet modem. any advices which shop you recommend in funan or SLS? any PC shows coming up in Mar? may consider to get a LCD 17inch monitor and a external harddisk drive also..

tks..

keith

keithjhee said:
Hi, i am intending to get PC133 256mb ram and a external ethernet modem. any advices which shop you recommend in funan or SLS? any PC shows coming up in Mar? may consider to get a LCD 17inch monitor and a external harddisk drive also..

tks..

keith

Check with Hardware Zone. You will get more concrete answers there.

keithjhee said:

tks..

keith

u might not be able to get pc133 ram as its pretty old ....
the next nearest pc show should be in June...

spitfire said:
Shouldn't be a problem getting the RAM, but it might cost you a leg & hand.

spitfire said:
March have a IT show!!!!
not need to wait till June.

tks!!! today pop by funan..only few shops open..saw some pc133 sdram ram but not sure can use or not..fujitsu quotes me $200!!! found out from hardwarezone maybe just about $80-150max...this sunday shd be dropping by SLS to do some market research.. any recommedations? harddisk drive Iomega or Maxtor? any reliable shops in SLS? read too much on bad shops at SLS till i scare scare.. ;)

well.. Go for the reputable shops in SLS.
Get a friend who knows there to bring u to the shop...
can PM mi also!

I recommend Fuwell if you visit SLS. For HDD, I still prefer Western Digital but Seagates HDD has 5 years warranty while the rest are still at 3 years.

keithjhee said:
tks!!! today pop by funan..only few shops open..saw some pc133 sdram ram but not sure can use or not..fujitsu quotes me $200!!! found out from hardwarezone maybe just about $80-150max...this sunday shd be dropping by SLS to do some market research.. any recommedations? harddisk drive Iomega or Maxtor? any reliable shops in SLS? read too much on bad shops at SLS till i scare scare.. ;)
Can try Cybermind if you're going to Sim Lim Square. Their prices are competitive, you can take a look at the prices on their website...

http://www.cybermind.com.sg

I haven't built a PC for the past 2 years but when I do, I always use IBM hard disks - never had a problem and it runs quietly :)

Hope this helps.

Seagates tend to over heat so if your casing is not well ventilated it may be better to look at I think Western D - maxtor seem to run hotter based on the 2 units of hard disk - 1from western D the other from Maxtor. Note I am on my first replace on the maxtor after 1 month of light use.

keithjhee said:

tks..

keith

Dell was offering their ultra-sharp 17" LCD panel for $499 two weeks ago. have used their ultra-sharp panels on laptop and standalone, very good.

I've got a questions also, i bought a external hdd, but it can't work, in a sense on that when i plug in the USB, it says detected but when i go to "My Computer", I did not see the icon. Anyone can help?

Flyingpig said:
I've got a questions also, i bought a external hdd, but it can't work, in a sense on that when i plug in the USB, it says detected but when i go to "My Computer", I did not see the icon. Anyone can help?
Erm.... can give more details? For eg. Processor speed, RAM, Operating system, details of your external hard disk, are you connected to a network.. etc.

The info will help us help you :)

Flyingpig said:

are you by any chance connecting your external HDD to a notebook without using any external power for your HDD? from my understanding, some notebook's USB may not have sufficient "power" to run these external devices. You may need to connect your external HDD to the AC.

My Externall hdd is a 3.5inch one so it needs power supply. Mine is maxtor 40GB one, I don't know about the processor speed..When i plug in, it can be detected like what usually you plug in your cam or mp3player etc, but the icon doesn't show out.

i've screenshot this..detected but nothing came out in "my computer"..
edit

Hitman said:
I haven't built a PC for the past 2 years but when I do, I always use IBM hard disks - never had a problem and it runs quietly :)

IBM sold off their harddisk business to Hitachi.

Personally, I have 2-3 IBM harddisks that failed within a year. But these are all from a particular model that seemed to always have problems.

Flyingpig said:
My Externall hdd is a 3.5inch one so it needs power supply. Mine is maxtor 40GB one, I don't know about the processor speed..When i plug in, it can be detected like what usually you plug in your cam or mp3player etc, but the icon doesn't show out.

i've screenshot this..detected but nothing came out in "my computer"..
edit

Cannot see your screen shot. BTW, have you formatted your new harddisk?

keithjhee said:

if you have some budget, consider getting those portable storage (if u dun already have one) that are equipped with storage cards slots such as those sold at Eastgear . I personally owns a X's-Drive Pro VP300 which I find very useful both as an external HDD as well as a portable storage for backup during photography trips :)

wow! tks for all the tips here.. got a better pics in what n where i be looking for at SLS now.. as for portable storage from eastgear, i was considering those as a option also...

tks tks.. ;)

Jer said:
Cannot see your screen shot. BTW, have you formatted your new harddisk?
I did went back to the shop and ask, and they told me to formatted the HD before i can use, he told me to go control panal, admin tools, but i can't format it there, but i tried to plug in mp3player and i can choose to format as it is detected as storage.

Sorry hope it can be view now..
view

Status
Not open for further replies.