Help Needed : NZ Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomz

Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of going NZ, North Island for about 10 days coming end Dec. It's gonna be a free and easy one. Was thinking wat kinda of transport/accom is more economical.

1) Motorhome, complete with bed, stove, toilet & shower etc
2) Bugdet 1-1.3L car and motels @ watever location I hit

Since it's the summer in Dec and the peak season, kinda worried that adhoc accom at motels will be a prob.

Any advise would be most helpful.

toomz said:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of going NZ, North Island for about 10 days coming end Dec. It's gonna be a free and easy one. Was thinking wat kinda of transport/accom is more economical.

Since it's the summer in Dec and the peak season, kinda worried that adhoc accom at motels will be a prob.

A few points to note :
- can you get tix in the 1st place? ;p
- have you drive/operate a motorhome before? like everything
else, everyone has an opinion on it, some say easy, some say
not that easy yada yada
- motorhome/caravan park also can get full :)

I think 1st thing 1st would be to see if can get tix; then plan which areas in north NZ u r doing; some areas have more accom than others; then decide 1 or 2 ...
My $0.02 :)

..NuTs..

nuts said:
A few points to note :
not that easy yada yada

I think 1st thing 1st would be to see if can get tix; then plan which areas in north NZ u r doing; some areas have more accom than others; then decide 1 or 2 ...
My $0.02 :)

..NuTs..

hehe .. if really no tix then go another time lor :D

Have not driven/operated a motorhome before, well that adds to the excitement.
It's going be a 2 berth kinda motorhome for just 2 pax, manual trans not a prob for me.

I did some research on motorhome/caravan park, basically it's not compulsory to park at motorhome/caravan park. As long as it's not illegal parking and safe no porb. But gotta make a trip to motorhome/caravan park every few days to top up the water tank and empty the toilet.

One advantage is that I can be anywhere early in the morning to catch the sunrise hehe ..

toomz said:
hehe .. if really no tix then go another time lor :D

Have not driven/operated a motorhome before, well that adds to the excitement.
It's going be a 2 berth kinda motorhome for just 2 pax, manual trans not a prob for me.

I did some research on motorhome/caravan park, basically it's not compulsory to park at motorhome/caravan park. As long as it's not illegal parking and safe no porb. But gotta make a trip to motorhome/caravan park every few days to top up the water tank and empty the toilet.

One advantage is that I can be anywhere early in the morning to catch the sunrise hehe ..

tix is very ex around this time. this is the super peak season. book asap.

north island have more accomodation, but during this time I don't think it will be easy. As long as you are not picky you probably can still make do......... motorhome more flexible, but you can't drive as fast and you also need to book the motorhome.

toomz said:
Hi guys,

First off: My experience with NZ was in the winter of 2002, so you'd have to use it as a guide... All prices quoted in NZ currency (2002 market prices)

I spent a total of 3 weeks in NZ, two in the south and one week in the north.

Transport: You would probably expect to pay about 60-70 dollars a day for a 1-1.3L car. Budget Car Rental probably provides the best bang for the buck. You may find cheaper options from small car companies but they're rather restrictive with regards to drop-off; which means you're either required to bring the car back to where you rented it, or pay a hefty sum as pick up charges. Petrol aint cheap; just a little bit cheaper than Singapore. Fill up the tank in the cities as the prices in the rural areas are more pricey (but than again, there ain't much rural areas in the North as compared to the South).

Motor homes aint cheap. You would probably be looking to pay at least 110 for a small two person one. I am under the impression that you're allowed to park only in dedicated motor parks but you'd really need to check up on that.

Accomodations: Accomodations in the north are relatively more pricey than those of the south. I stayed exclusively in motels when i was in the south and paid about $100 for a motel for 4. Fully furnished with kitchen. Average price of a motel in the north ranged from $120-$140. Accomodations were a plenty during the winter session... I actually drove around till about 8pm before starting to look for accomodations so as to get cheaper rates. But i really don't suggest that you do the same in summer.

Auckland and Wellington: Forget about motels. Hotels cost a bomb. Your best bet is hostels but they don't come cheap. Starting from $30 per person.

Last but not least: I hated the North, especially given that i headed north from the south... It was an (agri)cultural shock...

Hope the above helps.

nuts said:
A few points to note :
not that easy yada yada

..NuTs..

yah, think twice if you want to drive a motorhome as it is a big vehicle. I heard from my friend ( and saw on TV) because of the size/profile of the motorhome, it is very susceptible to toppling from crosswinds, especially in open countries like NZ. You have to drive real slow.

Also, I've called a few agents and they all said tickets to NZ sold out for december, they weren't even interested in when and which part I wanted to go.

tert said:
First off: My experience with NZ was in the winter of 2002, so you'd have to use it as a guide... All prices quoted in NZ currency (2002 market prices)

I spent a total of 3 weeks in NZ, two in the south and one week in the north.

Transport: You would probably expect to pay about 60-70 dollars a day for a 1-1.3L car. Budget Car Rental probably provides the best bang for the buck. You may find cheaper options from small car companies but they're rather restrictive with regards to drop-off; which means you're either required to bring the car back to where you rented it, or pay a hefty sum as pick up charges. Petrol aint cheap; just a little bit cheaper than Singapore. Fill up the tank in the cities as the prices in the rural areas are more pricey (but than again, there ain't much rural areas in the North as compared to the South).

Motor homes aint cheap. You would probably be looking to pay at least 110 for a small two person one. I am under the impression that you're allowed to park only in dedicated motor parks but you'd really need to check up on that.

Accomodations: Accomodations in the north are relatively more pricey than those of the south. I stayed exclusively in motels when i was in the south and paid about $100 for a motel for 4. Fully furnished with kitchen. Average price of a motel in the north ranged from $120-$140. Accomodations were a plenty during the winter session... I actually drove around till about 8pm before starting to look for accomodations so as to get cheaper rates. But i really don't suggest that you do the same in summer.

Auckland and Wellington: Forget about motels. Hotels cost a bomb. Your best bet is hostels but they don't come cheap. Starting from $30 per person.

Last but not least: I hated the North, especially given that i headed north from the south... It was an (agri)cultural shock...

Hope the above helps.

Geez, my impression was that north was cheaper hehe.
From wat u said, it seems that u prefered the south island more.
Care to share with us why? :)

James_T said:
yah, think twice if you want to drive a motorhome as it is a big vehicle. I heard from my friend ( and saw on TV) because of the size/profile of the motorhome, it is very susceptible to toppling from crosswinds, especially in open countries like NZ. You have to drive real slow.

Also, I've called a few agents and they all said tickets to NZ sold out for december, they weren't even interested in when and which part I wanted to go.

Totally agree with the due care required when driving motorhome.

Since it's the peak season and summer in Dec, I presume the place would be packed with tourists and locals. Geez, I think better postpone it to mar/apr.
It'll be autumn i think and prices of tix/rentals/accom will be cheaper hehe :D

toomz said:
Totally agree with the due care required when driving motorhome.

Since it's the peak season and summer in Dec, I presume the place would be packed with tourists and locals. Geez, I think better postpone it to mar/apr.
It'll be autumn i think and prices of tix/rentals/accom will be cheaper hehe :D

Don't know about autumn but winter in NZ is very beautiful. There's probably only a few things you'd need to look out for when the season gets colder:

1) Generally less flowers
2) Slippery roads due to ice
3) Cold waters so its not as nice for kayaking, swimming with dolphins and stuff

Albeit, going in winter has its benefits. Most of all is the availability of value for money accomodations. Its also easier to get day tours like bush walking trips and trips to the sounds.

toomz said:
Geez, my impression was that north was cheaper hehe.
From wat u said, it seems that u prefered the south island more.
Care to share with us why?

I went to the north after two great weeks in the south, seeing vast spaces with nothing but beautiful mountains, seas and of course sheeps. I arrived into the North via Wellington through Picton. The transition was too great... Wellington is like Singapore's CBD (ok... its better than CBD but...). Din like the huge human traffic, motor traffic... Blaring loud music and of course, expensive accomodations.

The north is more expensive probably because its more developed. There are relatively as much people in the north as there are sheeps in the south. :bsmilie: More economic opportunities translating to higher prices... I must say the north do have its charms... Especially the outlying areas like the Bay of Islands and Coromandel.

But what spoilt it for me would be the stark difference that i was not able to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.