Help needed! new camera, white pixels

mbkr85

Dec 29, 2010
First of all, hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and photography in general.

I just bought the Canon 550d earlier on today. I have been testing it out around the house and now outside in low light conditions. When looking at the results I have found that each photo, when zoomed in enough, has a few white pixels in the same place every time.

Is this dust on the lens or is there a slight problem with the camera? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it's not against forum rules I can post some examples of what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Hi welcome to CS! Sounds like your LCD screen has defective pixels.

If your camera is still under valid warranty you can send it to CSC. Since you just bought it, you may be able to change it at the camera shop (some shops have a 7 day 1-to-1 exchange policy).

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for the speedy reply.

It's not on the LCD screen itself but when I import the photos on to my computer. Sorry, I should have specified.

maybe you should upload a picture to show us with the settings . . . :)

It is noise. I've seen it in the 7d raw file as well. It is especially obvious when your pic is very underexposed and you try to push it. Apply some NR and most of it will be gone.

Ok, I couldn't work out how to upload anything, usually because it's not allowed, but I created a flickr page and uploaded it there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57600355@N03/5301882778/

This photo is zoomed in at 200%.

I could put all the details of what settings I used but the pixels appear on all my photos, at different settings.

wow.. talk about "X" mas.
:D

hehe.. back to topic.. since it's under warranty, just go back to the shop or canon with your concern and ask them to check. rather than trying for all of us to guess and pinpoint the problem, go to canon/shop to see and check for you.

just my 2 cents worth

Looks like a hot pixel to me.

Do a simple test, cover the lens and view finder, and expose a black image. Set ISO 200, test for 1/60th, 0.5 sec, 1, 2, and 4 sec.

Is the white spot still there?

OK. After doing those tests, the pixel was still there, in each of them. It got brighter as the exposure time increased. Still in the same place, like a little x.

bring back to shop, see if can 1 on 1 since u just got it today only.

if not CSC.

Thanks guys for all the help and recommendations.

I phoned up the shop earlier on today and will be taking it in tomorrow so they can have a look at it. I will keep you informed of the developments.

Hope you get a 1-1 exchange. If not, head down to canon CSC.

I just bought the Canon 550d earlier on today. I have been testing it out around the house and now outside in low light conditions. When looking at the results I have found that each photo, when zoomed in enough, has a few white pixels in the same place every time.

Is this dust on the lens or is there a slight problem with the camera? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I think perhaps it's better for you visit CSC to rectify this issue as there's no pictures for us to look at.

My cousin faces this same problem as well during night shootings and she's also using 550D as well. It seems that everytime she pump up the ISO, this white spots will appear.

Once we were shooting the roof of Fo Ya Si at night and she saw these white spots. She ran to me and yelled:" Look!! My lens is haunted!!" :confused:

Last edited:
Hi its a hot pixel problem. Your best chance is to get it replaced by the shop. Hot pixels can be eliminated by Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Check your custom function.

I dont think CSC will replace it unless you really make a case. By default I have never seen a hot pixel when the camera was unboxed. However i did spot a defective LCD screen with 1 blue pixel.

chillicutter said:
I think perhaps it's better for you visit CSC to rectify this issue as there's no pictures for us to look at.

My cousin faces this same problem as well during night shootings and she's also using 550D as well. It seems that everytime she pump up the ISO, this white spots will appear.

Once we were shooting the roof of Fo Ya Si at night and she saw these white spots. She ran to me and yelled:" Look!! My lens is haunted!!" :confused:

He did put up a picture and it does look like a little x

Hey guys.

I took the camera in to the shop, they checked it out, and replaced it with a new one. The guy said it was a hot pixel and the camera was defective, so they tested a different camera and swapped it.

Once again, cheers for all the advice and help. Now I can start taking pictures and making time lapses, seeing as my intervalometer arrived today!

You guys are ace, have a great new year!

Hey guys.

I took the camera in to the shop, they checked it out, and replaced it with a new one. The guy said it was a hot pixel and the camera was defective, so they tested a different camera and swapped it.

Once again, cheers for all the advice and help. Now I can start taking pictures and making time lapses, seeing as my intervalometer arrived today!

You guys are ace, have a great new year!

gd news. :thumbsup:

happy new year. :D

Thanks in advance.

Wah, new to photography and already started pixel-peeping. :thumbsup:

Of course, I understand you are concerned when the camera is barely a month old and still covered by warranty: after all, nobody wants to buy a brand-new product and deal with defects.

That being said, i hope this pixel-peeping habbit of yours will go away after some time. In the end, a camera is merely a tool to take great pictures, and a handful of scattered dead pixels are unlikely to show themselves after you resize your images to usable dimensions. Unless you are into macro and night photography, that is.