Help needed. negatives came out blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleven

Nov 26, 2009
hi . hope some one can enlighten me. i just got myself a 2nd hand slr. tested with a roll of film and sent to develop the photos.

to my horror, the whole roll of negative is completely blank. so clear, that it seems like you didnt take any pictures at all.

what happened? did i buy a faulty camera:dunno:

so sad. my aaron kwok photos gone:cry:

Last edited:
Are there DX patterns on the edge of the film? If there are not, chances are the film has already been exposed to light.

Open up the back of the cam and try taking some shots. Does the shutter open? If it doesn't ... then the shutter probably jammed and thus the blank shots.

alternatively, you might not have put the film in properly... i know the first time i used a film cam in like 7 years, i forgot to wind the first bit onto the spool after i put the teeth on the spool, but instead closed the back before winding... turns out the film didnt catch properly and when i developed it i got a perfectly clean set of negatives too...

moral of the story: wind film a few rounds round the spool before closing the back... or be damn embarassed when the AHMA at the photoshop shows you the blank roll..

could be due to several reasons.

1. the slr light meter is spoilt/haywire resulting in severe exposure error.

2. film not loaded properly meaning when you turn the winder the film is not advancing and you happily take 36 exposures and rewind it back resulting in no exposure at all.

3. shutter failed to open after pressing the shutter button. (to check this open the back of the slr and depress the shutter button at different speeds to check if the shutter curtain will open.)

As asked earlier, can you see the edge markings -- frame number, film type etc? If you can't and the film is totally clear, them it's probably a developing error.

If the markings are there, and only your frames are clear, then it's either camera or user error. Could be the shutter. If you're not experienced with film, then another possible cause would be improper loading i.e. your film didn't actually go through the camera. It happens a lot ;)

can see number..
open cover...shutter cannot depress. close cover..can hear shutter sound
hmm..dont think the film was not installed properly.

mostly is the film does not load properly.

do you notice the film rewind level turning whenever you advance the film?

Last edited:
blank as in overexposure or underexposure??

if its an slr should be able to open shutter when the back is open... try standard settings (iso200, 1/50)... if it cannot open at such a normal level, then you wasted your money :/

alternatively, check if the mirror lock-up function is on. sometimes it can get stuck if the wrong switch is pushed, and the shutter won't open unless you pull the film lever all the way. best is bring to a shop or to fatigue if it doesnt work... or get another cam/get your money back

everything was normal. can hear the spool picking up the film when loaded and indicator shown 1st frame. when finished 36 frames, camera auto rewind itself. when the film is not loaded properlt, error message will appear..like i tried now with 2nd roll of film.

in that case its likely to be a shutter problem. smart camera you have there ^^

erh...where is the mirror lock?? i dont think there is nor see any on the manual :dunno:
its a nikon f80. i read somewhere there's no mirror locks on nikon? maybe read wrong.

hmm..ya..open cover really cannot depress shutter. close cover...can hear metallic ringing of the curtains. told seller the problem. she just say its a working camera that she sold to me. knn

erh...where is the mirror lock?? i dont think there is nor see any on the manual :dunno:
its a nikon f80. i read somewhere there's no mirror locks on nikon? maybe read wrong.

hmm..ya..open cover really cannot depress shutter. close cover...can hear metallic ringing of the curtains. told seller the problem. she just say its a working camera that she sold to me. knn
If you can shoot till end of roll and able to do auto rewind, means the roll are loaded properly.

you can do a self test and checking of the shutter,
dismount the lens, look thru the lens mount and fire the shutter, if the shutter is working, you should able to see the film pressure plate when shutter open, test it at various shutter speed.

and also open the camera film door, you should able to see a small metal pin like either at the top or bottom along the sponge seals, depress it and you can fire the shutter without closing the door.

hope this help.

thanks everyone. yup shutter not working ..verified by photoshop uncle.
now seller no response:cry:

err...camera without lens also refuse to be depressed.
film door...no sponge seals no pins

prob would cost almost as much to replace the shutter as the cam itself..

all the best on contacting the seller then..

seller is a member here by the way;(

seller refuse to pay me back. fancy trying to con a noob by saying her camera condition is good working condition. can i expose her here? cos she said before she have other photography items to sell off. hard earn money down the drain:bheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.