Help needed: my cf card

TheZard

Jul 11, 2006
Need your help guys

I put in my 4GB Sandisk xtreme III card into my card reader connected to my laptop, i viewed my photos using Windows Explorer, Thumbnails option, as i wanted to delete & sort out some photos. However, I was too into the whole thing, while Window Explorer was loading the photos for preview on Thumbnails, i pulled out the card. I inserted another card, which i can read. But when i went back to my 4GB card, the data inside could not be read.

I panic & tried to plug into another computer, same card reader but it was garbage. I pulled into my camera & can't read the files. I then do a Scandisk under My Computer & it was fixed but it was all in FOUND.000 folder & its not the original 'condition', no DCIM directory.

I did a Properties check & it showed some data occupied but I can't access it.

What can I do now?

Need your help guys

I put in my 4GB Sandisk xtreme III card into my card reader connected to my laptop, i viewed my photos using Windows Explorer, Thumbnails option, as i wanted to delete & sort out some photos. However, I was too into the whole thing, while Window Explorer was loading the photos for preview on Thumbnails, i pulled out the card. I inserted another card, which i can read. But when i went back to my 4GB card, the data inside could not be read.

I panic & tried to plug into another computer, same card reader but it was garbage. I pulled into my camera & can't read the files. I then do a Scandisk under My Computer & it was fixed but it was all in FOUND.000 folder & its not the original 'condition', no DCIM directory.

I did a Properties check & it showed some data occupied but I can't access it.

What can I do now?

When you want to remove any USB key or Memory card, you can't simply pull out the card as it may cause data corruption. You need to click on the icon located at the bottom right of PC screen which when you place you mouse arrow over it, it will display as "safety remove hardware". Click on this icon to disable the memory card access first before you unplug the memory card.

Data Recovery Program like "R-Studio" can recover corrupted data on the CF Card but this program is not cheap.

Search for "recover data from memory card" and read. Chances are that the data can be recovered. After recovery please copy all data to computer and reformat the entire memory card to re-create the file system and remove the corruptions you have caused.
Hope you have learned now that pulling out a USB device in use is not a good idea.

thanks

learnt it the hard way, really absent minded ...