Help needed: My ACER laptop will not play DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

I am facing a problem here. I have just discovered that my ACER laptop (TM 4151LMi) will not play DVDs anymore. I used to view DVDs on my laptop but I've not been doing it for quite a few months already. But when I tried to play a DVD (original disc), it refused to play, no matter which software that I used. (be it Power DVD, Windows Media Player nor Real Player).

I have captured some screen shots hoping that someone here in Kopitiam will be able to help me to resolve this problem.

1. Real Player:
Real_Player_Error.JPG

2. Windows Media Player: (same error message appears no matter which display setting that I select)
Windows_Media_Player_Error.JPG

3. Power DVD (does not run at all!)
Power_DVD.JPG

TIA to all. :)

I have been told that the new discs (DVD) are 'multi-coated'. Older players cannot play them. I am having the same problem.

hi can u play it with videolan?

Oh! I was not aware of this. How old is your system?

im using 4151lmi oso...it support dual layer dvd..so it support most dvd in the market...it mite b ur dvd writer has spoiled...u can try playing vcd or data dvd...see if tat works or nt...my dvd writer now oso gt prob...it cant write onto any media...but still able to read...

When did you get your laptop? From experience, Acer laptop's dvd drives often run into problems. These dvd drives are from third party suppliers and often encounter problems.

My acer 5580 aspire had its dvd drive die 3 times in 1 month..... and 4th time died 3 days after servicing..... tah boleh tahan. At Acer.... they no questions asked, straight away change drive... makes u wonder how common the problem is.

im using 4151lmi oso...it support dual layer dvd..so it support most dvd in the market...it mite b ur dvd writer has spoiled...u can try playing vcd or data dvd...see if tat works or nt...my dvd writer now oso gt prob...it cant write onto any media...but still able to read...

I will try to play a VCD tonight. (laptop at home, now in office) As for writing, I do notice that the DVD writer is having difficulty to write on CD, but can still write on DVD.

When did you get your laptop? From experience, Acer laptop's dvd drives often run into problems. These dvd drives are from third party suppliers and often encounter problems.

My acer 5580 aspire had its dvd drive die 3 times in 1 month..... and 4th time died 3 days after servicing..... tah boleh tahan. At Acer.... they no questions asked, straight away change drive... makes u wonder how common the problem is.

aeskywan, I got my laptop for a few years already. (at least 3 yrs. old) Thanks for the info. :)

u probably need to find the model of DVD player and reinstall the drivers. but there is a risk that the DVD player wldnt work anymore

No problem, you are welcome. For your issue, most likely its a driver issue. Can try searching online and maybe you can find the driver. Failing which sigh its back to the service center.

No problem, you are welcome. For your issue, most likely its a driver issue. Can try searching online and maybe you can find the driver. Failing which sigh its back to the service center.

Would not want to go back to the service center for 2 reasons - distance and cost of repairing. Will try to reload the driver...

I can understand your pain.... I went to the service centre 4 times in 1 and half months...... JURONG!!! Lucky my boss let me take off from work to go.

Oh! I was not aware of this. How old is your system?

I am tempted to turn this into an Acer Bashing Session. I have had my own fair share of Acer disappointment and strongly discourage people fr even giving them a chance.

My Acer is 3 years old.

For instance, i load 10 disc, only 5 can play. I dont think its a software driver thingy. Please advice as i am not technically incline.

I am tempted to turn this into an Acer Bashing Session. I have had my own fair share of Acer disappointment and strongly discourage people fr even giving them a chance.

My Acer is 3 years old.

For instance, i load 10 disc, only 5 can play. I dont think its a software driver thingy. Please advice as i am not technically incline.

JacePhoto, please do not hesitate to post your disappointment with Acer. Share with us here! But my Acer has worked fine for me except for this problem.

hahah....4151...very prone to hinge breaking...haha...i ve changed 5-6 hinges in 3 yrs...lol...partly due to i open n close the laptop quite often...lol...other than tat this is a gd laptop...i can disassemble the whole laptop easily...fan is very easy to access to do cleaning...so far my previous acer serice exp at there is fast n efficient...no ques ask...jus change...lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.