Help needed: Jerky video playback on com when shot from Canon 500D

twinkle419

Feb 6, 2010
I tried to shoot video using SD card class/speed 10 as the manual book states must be above class/speed 4 or else it might have problems during playback time. Video was shot in 1920x1280 (20 fps) and 1280x720 (30 fps).

However, when the video is played back on the computer in mov. format, it appears jerky n lags, even though it appears smooth during playback in the camera.

Is there any problem with the camera settings?

Can anyone help? Thanks!:)

Hi there,

Faced the same problem you did with video shot on Canon 500D too a few weeks ago...I found out when I inserted the video into an video editing software which informed me that the video playback on my laptop was jerky because my computer system (Dell Inspirion 700m) was too slow. After which the video editing software gave me an opinion to do some conversion to make it play smoothly.

When I played the video clips on a newer and faster laptop using windows media player on Windows 7, the video played quite smoothly. Haha suspect could be due to graphics card or RAM but have no way of testing if it is so ;p

Perhaps you could provide the specs of the computer on which you are viewing the video clips? In the mean time perhaps you can try viewing the video on another computer. In case you are going to use the video for editing the link to the software mentioned above is as follows (I used the 30-days free trial):

http://download.cnet.com/Magix-Movie-Edit-Pro/3000-13631_4-10476357.html?tag=mncol

My guess is your problem is probably related to the h264 avchd codec that is in the mov container. This is a heavily compressed codec. So your computer needs to be able to uncompress it fast enough to play the video file real-time.

I tried to play a similar file on my old PC which is a Dual Core 3.0Ghz, with 2GB RAM. It was very jerky as well. But when I played the same file on my new laptop i7 processor, it was very sharp and smooth : )

So either you change computer or you use another application to convert the video file to a more playable and editable format.

Oh... My laptop is
Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Is this very old to play the video? I tired to play on various computers & laptops, all give different outcome... I shall try to play on more laptops... Thanks!

If playback of the MOV files is important then you need a faster computer. But it is probably more practical to convert the files to a format that is easier to play back, then your existing computer might be powerful enough already.

Anyway it costs nothing except a few minutes of your time to try it out and see for yourself. You can download a free converter program like Super and use it to convert the Canon MOV files to mp4 or similar. And 720p is sufficient for viewing on most computer screens so you can make the files smaller as well. You don't really need 1080p unless you are viewing on a large screen.