Help needed in shooting fashion show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmon888

Nov 4, 2008
Tampines
Hi all just wanted to seek help to all fellow CSers out there, I am participating in an outdoor fashion shoot but have no experience at all. Just wanted to ask how can i achieve sharp photos on the said event. I'll be using a Nikon D80 with sb800 and a 80-200mm f/2.8 lens. Just wanted to know the right ISO, aperture and shutterspeed if I am to shoot in manual mode

By the way the event will be held outdoors at about 9 in the evening

Do they have a proper photographer's stand that is right at the tip of the catwalk? 80-200 might be too long though on a APS-C body... unless you just want to shoot half-body/ headshot.

since you are using a flash then the ISO can be anything, slower the better
will you be shooting handheld? if yes then you need a shutter speed fast enough to prevent camera shake, say at least 1/200s
aperture settings will depend on the amount of DOF you need

let the flash pump out enough light for your exposure.
this will get you sharp photos (providing you focus correctly)

to get nicer photos, you need to know how to control your flash
and that would depends on the ambient light and your surroundings

good luck and have fun :)

a monopod or tripod would let you lower your shutter speed

Maraming Salamat po (Thank you!!!) Sir Ortega. All my shoot will be handheld (my tripod is busted eh) sorry about the question I am really new in photography (though Ive been a member since 2008) but one last thing, In my flash how do i pump out more light? Is it in my camera setting like the slow rear etc etc or is it in my flash? (just acquired this flash, still exploring settings of the flash gun):D

It depends how strong the lights and what kind of lights the organizer will use. If different kinds of artifical lighting all at once then even experienced photographers will have difficulty.

what i recommend is go there early as usually the techs will run the light show program to test all the lights are working. Use that time to set your camera settings that best reflect what your eyes are seeing and use Raw if possible.

The rest is all trial and error since its your first fashion shoot. what you can do is observe and ask the other photographers who are free for tips. good luck.

depending on the flash model, there is a power control system which modifies your flash output. check the manual on how to use.

Last edited:
Hi all just wanted to seek help to all fellow CSers out there, I am participating in an outdoor fashion shoot but have no experience at all. Just wanted to ask how can i achieve sharp photos on the said event. I'll be using a Nikon D80 with sb800 and a 80-200mm f/2.8 lens. Just wanted to know the right ISO, aperture and shutterspeed if I am to shoot in manual mode

By the way the event will be held outdoors at about 9 in the evening

Go earlier and survey the lights used at the event, if there's spotlight to highlight the outfits, you might not even need to use flash at lower ISO with that lens. But it is also difficult to get sharp focus at wide open if you did not practice or shot such events before.

Try to find out where the models will be position, the choreography for the event. It is easier to get the sharpest images when the models are stationary. If you're using a flash, please control the power so that you do not over lit the outfits, test on white objects.

A good position is a must if you're the official, if you do not have an official stand, try to bring a ladder :).

Maraming Salamat po (Thank you!!!) Sir Ortega. All my shoot will be handheld (my tripod is busted eh) sorry about the question I am really new in photography (though Ive been a member since 2008) but one last thing, In my flash how do i pump out more light? Is it in my camera setting like the slow rear etc etc or is it in my flash? (just acquired this flash, still exploring settings of the flash gun):D

as mentioned above, it is always best if you know what lights are going to be used (you might not have to use your flash)
study the catwalk and the models, know where they will walk and where they will stop and pose before turning and walking again.

it is that split second or two, that you will get your sharpest shots.
maybe you can use your busted tripod as a monopod (this will be better than not having any support at all)

If it is a public event, do remember to fire away a few shots at each of the points you require. Its quite common to have other ppl's flash appearing in your shots, exposure problem due to ever changing lighting at the event, as well as awkward positioning of the model (I know its about the outfit, but if the model is in a strange pose, I'm sure the outfit won't look good as well), etc etc.

Hey guys! Thanks for all your input, I'll try my best to do what you all have told me.:D maybe I can post my photos after the shoot in critque corner for your CNC.
Thanks again...

Hey guys! Thanks for all your input, I'll try my best to do what you all have told me.:D maybe I can post my photos after the shoot in critque corner for your CNC.
Thanks again...
I don't think you can put photo(s) at the critque corner, there're guidelines for posting there, but you can put in the Ready Lights Action section though.

D80 use AF-C (Continuous Focusing). Just remember take a few shot of your subject when they're at the position you want.

When free go practice shooting those fashion events, and you'll be even be able to do it manual focus eventually :).

Status
Not open for further replies.