Help needed in buying manual SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckcare.der

Apr 30, 2007
singapore
derrickh.multiply.com
I am thinking of buying a manual SLR to use. But not sure which to get as there are so many models and mounts.

Budget is around $250 or less. Preferably with a lens.

I know Minolta and Nikon produced quite abit of manual SLRs. But which are the better ones? And why are the better?

Please advise.

Thanks so much for reading. :)

I am thinking of buying a manual SLR to use. But not sure which to get as there are so many models and mounts.

I know Minolta and Nikon produced quite abit of manual SLRs. But which are the better ones? And why are the better?

Please advise.

Wah lao! $250 manual slr with lens!
If you can find, let me know... I want also! :eek:

Please advise.

i was looking at getting a manual slr earlier as well. what kind of features do u need? manual as in full manual with no af, metering, etc?

I think can get the nikon EM at that price.

hello!

good to hear that you're interested in old school photography! hahaha.

i own 2 minoltas, a XG1 & a SRT.

the XG1 is a little more high tech. it works with AV and a manual overwrite mode, however, the metering doesn't really work when in M, doesn't show how much over or under. so it's really a feeling camera. i've gotten quite used to it already. phew.

the SRT on the other hand is a purely mechanical camera. a beauty.

to be honest, i would look for a purely mechanical SLR, meaning, it doesn't need batteries to fire the shutter.

also, the 2 minoltas were hand me downs, the XG1 from my uncle and the SRT from my dad. i've done a CLA on the XG but not the SRT. waiting to save up enough cash to do it, ha.

oh. and lenses for old cameras are becoming quite 'rare' nowadays, so if you see anything that you think you'll want in the near future, just buy it first and regret later.

hope this helps.

PS i would recommend minolta, but if you already have a nikon set up, then get a nikon. then your SLR and DSLR can share lenses! HAHA. 2 for 1! as for prices, sorry. i'm really not in the know.

get a nikon f2 or a fm.;p

If you want a full manual SLR, the SRT series would be very suitable, otherwise the Dynax/Maxxumm series would offer you AF as well.

you want to fully mechanical SLR? manual focus, manual exposure only? go for Nikonmat FT, Nikon F, F2, FM, FM2
semi mechanical SLR? FE, FE2, EM, FA, F3

or else can just get a modern AF SLR, like F90, ,F100, F80, or F4, do manual focusing and manual exposure mode.

was thinking of a fully pure manual cam. meaning no AF, got to set aperture urself.

was thinking of SRT as well. but hows the image quality for SRT?

was thinking of a fully pure manual cam. meaning no AF, got to set aperture urself.

for film camera, body has nothing to do about the images quality, it is just only a box holding the film and the lens together.

what does matters are the lens and the film you are using.

anyone using canon FTB? hows handling and everything? :D

got one. it is ok.
but for the TS a Nikon FM2 is a good choice.
If he likes Canon and wants top end, then Canon F1-N is good.

I have seen very nice pictures from the SRTs. It's using the famous Minolta Rokkor lenses so quality wise, it's :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.