Help needed from the wedding gurus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

startrails

Dec 9, 2008
Bedok, Singapore
I thought this was the best place to post this.

A friend of mine is getting married next year, and has engaged a primary photographer to cover AD and pre-wedding shoots, both in outdoor and studio shots. But he said the photographer won't be covering the ROM shots.

So he has asked me to help cover the ROM portion. Now the real problem:

I am clueless about what goes on during ROMs. I've never attended one and I don't know what to take or what moments to look out for. When I think ROM, I think fort canning, someone saying vows and the "I do" moment. Other than that, it's a blank for me.

I've some experience in shooting events for my squadron, and am still learning. He asking me to take his big day.. it's an honour, but I don't know if I'm up to it given my current knowledge of weddings.:dunno:

Can anyone help?

I am clueless about what goes on during ROMs. I've never attended one and I don't know what to take or what moments to look out for. When I think ROM, I think fort canning, someone saying vows and the "I do" moment. Other than that, it's a blank for me.

It is not a shame to admit that one is simply not able to do it (yet). Better than to ruin a friend's wedding with lousy results and disappoint the families. If you search under "Services Offered' you might find somebody with experience (but also a price tag).

he's having just the ROM?

rom's pretty simple. the whole procedure takes like 15mins max. (simple one)

some church one takes longer.

just the ROM:
paster/authorised marriage authority
bride
groom
1 parent from each side
sits down on a rectangular table in this manner:
2wcl1ti.jpg

so its gonna be cramp. and there will be flowers and feather pens and everything. so before the whole thing. you better arrange the items in your favour and pick spots to stand.

procedure goes Something like this:
groom signs,
bride signs,
parent signs,
other parent signs,
paster signs.

bride and groom turns around pastor comes forward and asks them to recite the vows. then put on ring.

sometimes, some churches might have their own holy ceremonies before and/or after. the pastor might give speech and sing praise to god and the couple.

agar agar is lidat. i think. been through a few only

It is not a shame to admit that one is simply not able to do it (yet). Better than to ruin a friend's wedding with lousy results and disappoint the families. If you search under "Services Offered' you might find somebody with experience (but also a price tag).

Yup I initially didn't want to. I told him that I'm just a hobbyist and not really up to taking his big day. But he said he'd seen some of my photos of the events put up in base and he's quite impressed, that's why he asked me.

Moreover, he's maxed out with his cash with all the other wedding stuff. I'm not being paid for the shoot though. He's a close friend that's why I did not have the heart to say no.

he's having just the ROM?

rom's pretty simple. the whole procedure takes like 15mins max. (simple one)

some church one takes longer.

just the ROM:
paster/authorised marriage authority
bride
groom
1 parent from each side
sits down on a rectangular table in this manner:
2wcl1ti.jpg

so its gonna be cramp. and there will be flowers and feather pens and everything. so before the whole thing. you better arrange the items in your favour and pick spots to stand.

procedure goes Something like this:
groom signs,
bride signs,
parent signs,
other parent signs,
paster signs.

bride and groom turns around pastor comes forward and asks them to recite the vows. then put on ring.

sometimes, some churches might have their own holy ceremonies before and/or after. the pastor might give speech and sing praise to god and the couple.

agar agar is lidat. i think. been through a few only

haha bro thanks for the explanation and the diagram. Appreciate it very much.:thumbsup:

He's not having a church one. Having a chinese ROM. Anything special to look out for?

Last edited:
Chinese ROM?/? What do you mean by that??? First check where is the ROM gonna be. Normally would just be at Fort Canning Registra there. If elsewhere, maybe you might wanna go recce the place first and get used to your shooting angles for the actual day. I've done ROMs at Fort canning and also elsewhere b4 and both are very different.

Just take note to look out for when they are signing, taking their vows, putting the rings on and when they kiss. If they are going too fast, just direct them to slow down abit. You dun wan to miss the special moments.

GOOD LUCK!!!:thumbsup:

Chinese ROM?/? What do you mean by that??? First check where is the ROM gonna be. Normally would just be at Fort Canning Registra there. If elsewhere, maybe you might wanna go recce the place first and get used to your shooting angles for the actual day. I've done ROMs at Fort canning and also elsewhere b4 and both are very different.

Just take note to look out for when they are signing, taking their vows, putting the rings on and when they kiss. If they are going too fast, just direct them to slow down abit. You dun wan to miss the special moments.

GOOD LUCK!!!:thumbsup:

I dunno.. Haha maybe there's a a chinese element involved in the ROM or something. Like I said, I was clueless.

Definitely I'll make a trip down to recce the place. And thanks for the moments I ought to look out for, bro! :thumbsup:

It's not fair of your friend to expect you to cover his ROM for free, and yet definitely deliver good quality photos.
To be prepared involves a fair bit of work before the actual event, something that requires your time.

Just make sure you're doing this for the right reasons (ie he's your good friend and you really want to do this for him)
and not because he asked you to and has somehow pressured you into agreeing.

startrails said:
I dunno.. Haha maybe there's a a chinese element involved in the ROM or something. Like I said, I was clueless.

Definitely I'll make a trip down to recce the place. And thanks for the moments I ought to look out for, bro!

Your equipment (based on your signature) looks more than adequate for covering the ROM.
Are you confident to use it well?

1) Know your equipment well, and how to use it best in different situations

2) Have some idea of what the location includes

3) Have some idea of the sequence of events and what kind of photos to take at each particular time.

If you're ok with all 3, I think you're good to go! :thumbsup:

Talk to your friend early to discuss what is going to happen, and what he wants.

It's not fair of your friend to expect you to cover his ROM for free, and yet definitely deliver good quality photos.
To be prepared involves a fair bit of work before the actual event, something that requires your time.

Just make sure you're doing this for the right reasons (ie he's your good friend and you really want to do this for him)
and not because he asked you to and has somehow pressured you into agreeing.

Haha bro, no worries, he hasn't pressured me. I've told him I'll try my best and he said he'll accept whatever photos that comes his way.;)

Your equipment (based on your signature) looks more than adequate for covering the ROM.

3) Have some idea of the sequence of events and what kind of photos to take at each particular time.

Talk to your friend early to discuss what is going to happen, and what he wants.

I've been fiddling with my equipment, done numerous photoshoots of RSAF exercises and events, but this is the first time I'm handling something so personal. Tech wise I guess I know where I stand..

Nervous yes, but I guess with preparation confidence will grow.:D

Thanks for the advice, bro!:thumbsup:

the important thing is not to be kan cheong...
It's amazing how too much stress can screw up a normally steady person.

if I'm on your shoe, I'll be practicing right away. maybe i'll be scared a bit at first (scared of photos not turning out well), but hey practice makes perfect! ;)

just to share: i had a chance to shoot (casual shoot) my officemate's ROM also. the back of the couple's table is a window and it's too bright. i got an instant silhouette effect unintentionally. the thing is, you can check the place in advance to anticipate any problem that may arise. hth

the important thing is not to be kan cheong...
It's amazing how too much stress can screw up a normally steady person.

haha yes bro. actually i think i'll just go there and enjoy myself! it's my first ROM photoshoot and i guess i should forgive myself if things don't turn out good, right? but if it goes well, and if i do enjoy the shoot, i might start freelancing haha, earn back the $$ spent on gear... :bsmilie:

but of course, hafta work, don't wanna be a GWC..

if I'm on your shoe, I'll be practicing right away. maybe i'll be scared a bit at first (scared of photos not turning out well), but hey practice makes perfect! ;)

just to share: i had a chance to shoot (casual shoot) my officemate's ROM also. the back of the couple's table is a window and it's too bright. i got an instant silhouette effect unintentionally. the thing is, you can check the place in advance to anticipate any problem that may arise. hth

That should be nice. Sometimes during my squadron photoshoots i get unintentional effects... some of them were pleasant surprises!

I guess it's all the same with every photoshoot, have to check out the place in advance, and running thru the sequences and everything..

Guess it's good to be prepared and have a mental picture of what's gonna happen and what angle/image u wanna capture..

thanks bros for the encouragement! i'll see if i can post up any worthy pictures for you guys to comment! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You will need the following to ensure a smooth shooting experience bro:

• Knows your equipment in and out (knows where and when to change settings)
  • Know the location (which will let u know what equipment is required, which are the better angles, etc)
  • Know the procedures (which will let u know where to be when the moment comes)
You might want to discuss this with your friend. Good luck! :)

nakashimamika said:

• Know the location (which will let u know what equipment is required, which are the better angles, etc)

Already stated earlier!! :) hahaha

ZerocoolAstra said:

From the ROM I've attended. here is a few of the Highlights!

Before to solemnization,
Can shoot the couples, family photos, couple rings, flowers.

During solemnization,
Can shoot part where they take their oath when looking at each other.
JP when making his speech
Couples putting on the ring for the other half
Couple kissing after putting on the ring
Hand shake with JP
Parents signing on the dotted line.
Crowd behind the couple

After Solemnization
Group photos with JP and the ROM cert.
Group functions coverage if any.

I think its pretty sum up the whole ROM :)

Haha, thanks bros for the advice!:thumbsup:

I'll hafta head down to the location to familiarize and obtain settings... and yes, also to discuss procedures during ROM.. any special sub events he wanna do or smth..

Before to solemnization,

During solemnization,
Hand shake with JP
Crowd behind the couple

After Solemnization

Sounds like great stuff. :thumbsup:

I can mentally picture what I want to capture already, but of course, have to see location first.

Every ROM is different, but it essentially is about the same as you've mentioned?

Haha, thanks bros for the advice!:thumbsup:

I'll hafta head down to the location to familiarize and obtain settings... and yes, also to discuss procedures during ROM.. any special sub events he wanna do or smth..

Sounds like great stuff. :thumbsup:

I can mentally picture what I want to capture already, but of course, have to see location first.

Every ROM is different, but it essentially is about the same as you've mentioned?

Yes, what I summaries are theessentials, of coz if its a outdoor function. You might have the couple walk down the isle to the JP :)

Before to solemnization,

During solemnization,
Hand shake with JP
Crowd behind the couple

After Solemnization

Yeah this is a real detailed coverage of a normal ROM. You might wanna consider looking at the wedding section to see roughly what sort of angles to look out for

Thanks to all chief(s) who replied!

I roughly know what to expect now, with your help. I'll try my best.

Thanks again!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.