Help Needed From Sifus and Experience Members

kpongmark

Feb 10, 2010
Hi All,

I just bought my first DSLR yesterday, Canon 550D w/ 24-70mm f2.8 Lens. I notice that some pictures I've taken so far has this mark or small spots. I have a Lens UV Protector Filter on. See the spots in the sky in pics.

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

Dear Masters, pls share with me your experience on this problem in the picture.

Is there a problem with lens? Camera? Filter?

Thank you all so much.

Try taking a similar picture with and without filter to see if problem is repeatable.

Usual postings of similar issues arise from ghosting which can be solved from filter removal or filter upgrading.

Do you really need a filter when shooting at night?

See the opaque spot center and slightly lower of the tree...

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Thank you.

Try taking a similar picture with and without filter to see if problem is repeatable.

Usual postings of similar issues arise from ghosting which can be solved from filter removal or filter upgrading.

Meaning the quality of the UV Protector may be the problem?

Do you really need a filter when shooting at night?

They actually call it a Protector, to protect the actual lens, rather than some filter to filter something.

Meaning the quality of the UV Protector may be the problem?

Lower quality filter does facilitate ghosting effect. It too happen to me for indoor shots too. After I upgrade to better filters like B+W or Nikon filters, the problem resolves itself.

What filter are you using?

What filter are you using?

Emolux UV Protector - $20

Lower quality filter does facilitate ghosting effect. It too happen to me for indoor shots too. After I upgrade to better filters like B+W or Nikon filters, the problem resolves itself.

Thanks Sifu Squid for sharing your invaluable experience. I'll upgrade my filter.

Do you physically see any spots on the filter? or on the front / rear elements on the lens? Why not try removing the filter and test a couple of shots.

Most likely the filter causing problems.

Get any of the high quality filters like

Hoya SHMC, Pro1 Digital or HD, B+W (make sure it's the 'MRC' version), Nikon protector, Canon protect (has GREAT multi-coating BTW, but very few people know about it) and if you feel like getting the best of the best, the Americans seem to like Heliopan, and I prefer Rodenstock HR UV. There are bound to be other very good filters around, but unless you're familiar with the individual product, it's probably best to stick with the listed models.

Reality check: under extreme conditions (v dark BG, bright lamps or spotlights with light going directly into the lens / oblique shooting angles with the sun high up but just outside of the frame etc), even the best or most expensive filters and even lenses will risk introducing ghosting or flare.

In the above situations, it would probably be best to just remove the filter when shooting.

Last edited:
Do you physically see any spots on the filter? or on the front / rear elements on the lens? Why not try removing the filter and test a couple of shots.

Yes Bro, it's a good idea, will try it tmr coz now batt is charging. Some very small spots on the filter surface though but not all shots have those white spots on the picture like what I've posted.

Do yourself a favor by dumping that filter in the nearest bin..

No need to waste lah ... can keep and put dots of facial oil from the nose, use hair gel or spray etc to make a nice soft-focus or fog filter that doesn't look like it was digitally created. :)

Almost forgot ... blast to the past - if you can get your hands on an Asahi Pentax Super Multi Coating (SMC) filter, it's quite impressive as well! I just got a brand new (old) piece and it's happily sitting on my Nikkor right now! :bsmilie:

Do yourself a favor by dumping that filter in the nearest bin..

LOL... Roger roger, Sifu Geekbrains...

Most likely the filter causing problems.

Get any of the high quality filters like

Hoya SHMC, Pro1 Digital or HD, B+W (make sure it's the 'MRC' version), Nikon protector, Canon protect (has GREAT multi-coating BTW, but very few people know about it) and if you feel like getting the best of the best, the Americans seem to like Heliopan, and I prefer Rodenstock HR UV. There are bound to be other very good filters around, but unless you're familiar with the individual product, it's probably best to stick with the listed models.

Reality check: under extreme conditions (v dark BG, bright lamps or spotlights with light going directly into the lens / oblique shooting angles with the sun high up but just outside of the frame etc), even the best or most expensive filters and even lenses will risk introducing ghosting or flare.

In the above situations, it would probably be best to just remove the filter when shooting.

No need to waste lah ... can keep and put dots of facial oil from the nose, use hair gel or spray etc to make a nice soft-focus or fog filter that doesn't look like it was digitally created. :)

Sifu Dream Merchant, thank you for all the info. It is super helpful. I still have lots to learn from you and all the Sifus. Thank you all again. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: