Help needed for tripod purchase :)

Edisonn

Jan 23, 2010
Hello,

I am considering buying a new tripod. I am spoilt for choices, so i am looking out for your individual takes on tripod.

Firstly, a brief introduction about myself. I am still a beginner and still learning from the very basics. I started photography last year, but didn't really have time to commit. In face of the ending A levels, i am soon able to indulge in photography hobby fulltime. :)

Back to topic, i have a tripod at home, but it was those 20 dollars kind i got from peninsula plaza when i am still very poor.. I am not implying that i've struck a windfall, but that because that lousy cranky tripod has pissed me off badly with its instability and 'unlockable' stand, i needed a better tripod since i am certain i am into photography.

I am considering ballhead tripods, but wasn't sure what are the pros and cons about it?

The Gain City below my house is selling a tripod that seems rather good. It costs 59 dollars and it has a rather robust build. It provides much versatility including 'spreading legs' and 'ballhead' to name a few. More importantly, i am impressed by its convenience as keeping that tripod is easy, and it could double up as a monopod. :D

But, i was drawn back from buying it on impulse and have decided to consult for advice. It is a brandless tripod, and being a newbie, i do not know how to differentiate good tripods. I only feel it feels robust and sturdy, it is portable. May i know how do you guys test if a tripod is good? The fact that it is brandless made me think whether it could last..

Those recognised brands of tripod like Vanguard are WAYYYY out of my budget. I am still a student and i don't have those bulky lens. I am interested to use tripod to take landscape and sunset photos.

Maybe those above seemed messy, let me just pose the question again.

Do you guys have any recommendations on tripod? Do you guys feel that a 59 dollars with so many features is worth buying albeit i am rather cynical of the durability? Or do you guys feel that i should save more and get those 'branded' tripods if credibility is one of my primary concerns?

Thanks. I recognized that it is quite a chunk but hope i get the idea past. :D

Is it possible to share your views on tripod? Thanks in advance :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Do a search on here for "tripod" We must have about 500 threads on this already.

TS, What is your budget? What is the maximum you are willing to spend?

Vanguard is not even one of the top brands for tripods. Just so so.

That also depends on how heavy is your set up and budget too!

thank you so much for that helpful response. However, i've helped myself by doing a search beforehand.
Those TS had really HIGH budgets like 500 dollars and i DID looked through some threads before deciding to risk getting flamed by starting one pseudo repetitive thread.

That also depends on how heavy is your set up and budget too!

I am rather poor leh. Maybe around 100? I don't have heavy lens.. my heaviest is only 1.3kg.

wow...you've done your homework then. Good luck on your purchase!

I am rather poor leh. Maybe around 100? I don't have heavy lens.. my heaviest is only 1.3kg.

oh sorry, about 1.6kg with my body and heaviest lens attached.

wow...you've done your homework then. Good luck on your purchase!

i did my homework but i couldn't find answer.. so i started a new thread lor.. hahahs

I'm not sure how robust that tripod you are talking about is. Are you comparing it with your old $20 tripod or the better ones? You can head down to TK or Benphoto to have a feel for Sirui and Benro and compare it with those. I'm only talking about the mid-level tripods and not the high-end ones here.

I've tried those tripods of about range ~100plus in different shops and thats roughly the feel.

Mass sales are good? Serious? Bad thing is i can't feel it personally..

I've tried those tripods of about range ~100plus in different shops and thats roughly the feel.

TK Foto is at 2nd floor Funan.

Not mass sales.

Go look at the T-1004x or T-1005x with G10 ballhead. Very good tripods, now selling for $160. 6 years warranty.

Yup mass sales sellers have really competitive prices and some of them actually have real shopfronts, so you can head down and have a look.

Not mass sales.

Go look at the T-1004x or T-1005x with G10 ballhead. Very good tripods, now selling for $160. 6 years warranty.

How do you define 'good'?

How do you define 'good'?

Stable, and pass the 2 finger tap test.

Able to hold my heaviest setup (3.5 kg) with no problems in stability.

Nice and smooth twist locks. Ability to fold as a travelling tripod. comes with very good quality bag. and the legs are thicker than the competition, which contributed to the stability.

Don't take my word for it. go there and try one out.

And trust me, Sirui wins Vanguard hands down in value.

Last edited:
thank you so much for that helpful response. However, i've helped myself by doing a search beforehand.
Those TS had really HIGH budgets like 500 dollars and i DID looked through some threads before deciding to risk getting flamed by starting one pseudo repetitive thread.

Stretch your budget a bit... Once you get close to 200 SGD you can get really good ones.

FYI, most of the threads that I've seen after doing the search are "I'm looking for cheap and good, may budget 200" kind of threads. Few that I've seen reach a $500 budget.

You may want to look at Sirui at TK. Or Manfrotto at Cathay.:)

Not mass sales.

u already got two models that may suit ya budget..... so rather than waste time thinking, go down test it with all ya gears, the guys are TK are very helpful, provided they are not too bz...