Help needed for shooting runway shots!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yipxh

Aug 4, 2008
Singapore
hi guys :)

i'll be down for some event this week; whereby i'd be shooting people walking down a runway.
so is there any tips for shooting these kinda runway thingy? :D

thanks in advance :D

hi guys :)

i'll be down for some event this week; whereby i'd be shooting people walking down a runway.
so is there any tips for shooting these kinda runway thingy? :D

thanks in advance :D
simple.

i take it you are not the only photographer. without knowing what equipment you have, the only option is lock on target, predict the subject`s course and fire the burst mode. in Auto..

i assume u are a distance away from the runway (unless it's a closed door event), so a zoom lens is definitely necessary.
so is an external flash gun.
tripod will be useful (hands get tired after some time) if u have enough space.

taking shots while model is walking and when posing will be good moments to take.
for fashion show, take not only the front, but also the back of the model's clothes. (esp for magazines which need to show off the dresses)

another interesting moment is when all the models walk out at the end of the show.

have fun !! ;)

sorry guys, its a closed door event.so i'd be the only one there to shoot and stuff.
i was thinking of using a 50mm lens to shoot the whole thing.
but come to think of it, i gotta move around and stuff.
so would a zoom lens be better?

If i were you, i'll hire a professional to do the job if this is gonna be an important event. Simply because this is not something u read online on how-to-shoot and apply it straight away. It takes some practice and i'd rather tag along and shoot as a 2nd photographer if i want some pictures.

most runway pictures i see have eye contact also. So it might be good to check with ur client and get some tips from the main photog if u're hiring one.

good luck! :)

sorry guys, its a closed door event.so i'd be the only one there to shoot and stuff.
if you are the only photographer, grab the location where almost 100% the subjects will look directly at you or have the choreographer instruct them to look at you when they walk pass as you can use your tripod for possibly sharper images. But take note that unless its a slow choreography, your camera better be able to clear the buffer quickly. Best to go to the rehearsal and take practice shots.

as above says, even a small event like this..best to have 2+ photographers.

If I were you, I would choose a zoom lens instead. Coz you may not get a second chance for event shots.... :)

If i were you, i'll hire a professional to do the job if this is gonna be an important event. Simply because this is not something u read online on how-to-shoot and apply it straight away. It takes some practice and i'd rather tag along and shoot as a 2nd photographer if i want some pictures.

most runway pictures i see have eye contact also. So it might be good to check with ur client and get some tips from the main photog if u're hiring one.

good luck! :)
okay :) thank you.so eye contact.alright :D

if you are the only photographer, grab the location where almost 100% the subjects will look directly at you or have the choreographer instruct them to look at you when they walk pass as you can use your tripod for possibly sharper images. But take note that unless its a slow choreography, your camera better be able to clear the buffer quickly. Best to go to the rehearsal and take practice shots.

as above says, even a small event like this..best to have 2+ photographers.

sure thing dood.thanks for ur advice:D
much appreciated

If I were you, I would choose a zoom lens instead. Coz you may not get a second chance for event shots.... :)

so i guess i'll test out with the zoom lens first and see how things goes.
thanks dood :D

what kind of runway? Airport or catwalk runway? :bsmilie:

Most Singapore catwalk runway got abysmal lightings. They always use a mix of lightings from tungsten to colour fluorescent which gives bad colour cast. And they don't believe in providing strong lightings for backdrops.

Some smart marcomm will suggest using smoke machine which renders your flash useless :angry: Worst still some will put gobo lighting! Imagine the company logo appearing on the model's face :bsmilie:

In any way, if the stage is not well lit, by using your flash, the background will look severely underexposed.

If talents instead of models are used, they don't pause long enough at the end of the runway for photographers so you need to be on your toes.

You need to bring along a battery pack for your flash, same goes for a portable storage for your CF cards. 'Coz you don't want to find yourself running out of flash power in the middle. Changing flash light battery will cost you to miss at least 2~3 models.

Usually pro will have battery pack or 2 flash gun with an assistant to help change batteries (CF card)

Go 1 or 2 hours early to reccee. talk to the person who engage you ( what type of shot they want), the lighting condition, the length of the walkway, any area to avoid and if can intro yourself to the models or talents, let them know YOU are the official photography. (this for making eye contact during the shoot).

PS: Bring a second photographer if you can.

what kind of runway? Airport or catwalk runway? :bsmilie:

Most Singapore catwalk runway got abysmal lightings. They always use a mix of lightings from tungsten to colour fluorescent which gives bad colour cast. And they don't believe in providing strong lightings for backdrops.

Some smart marcomm will suggest using smoke machine which renders your flash useless :angry: Worst still some will put gobo lighting! Imagine the company logo appearing on the model's face :bsmilie:

In any way, if the stage is not well lit, by using your flash, the background will look severely underexposed.

If talents instead of models are used, they don't pause long enough at the end of the runway for photographers so you need to be on your toes.

You need to bring along a battery pack for your flash, same goes for a portable storage for your CF cards. 'Coz you don't want to find yourself running out of flash power in the middle. Changing flash light battery will cost you to miss at least 2~3 models.

Usually pro will have battery pack or 2 flash gun with an assistant to help change batteries (CF card)

its a catway runway. i doubt there will be any smoke machs on set.so thats not a issue i guess? but lighting is obvious a major issue here. so i guess i'll head down earlier to check the stage out.

thanks alot! :D

Go 1 or 2 hours early to reccee. talk to the person who engage you ( what type of shot they want), the lighting condition, the length of the walkway, any area to avoid and if can intro yourself to the models or talents, let them know YOU are the official photography. (this for making eye contact during the shoot).

PS: Bring a second photographer if you can.

okay can.thanks alot for the advice:D

Bring LADDER! :)

Catwalk runway are sometimes so freaking high you end up like shooting up-skirt. Difficult to be at eye level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.