Help needed for ROM shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackie

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
hi..

my sis had ask for me to be the photographer for her ROM end of May.. but this is gonna be my virgin attempt... so need some help and tips from you guys..

i'm using a TTL flash with a 28-80 lens. this shld be enuff rite??

and for shooting outdoor, which shld be the way to use fill flash?
Direct, 60 deg with bounce card parallel, or 90 deg with bounce card at 45..

for slides, is Velvia 50 suitable for human potrait?
for film, the best bet would be Reala 100?

dunno if i miss out anything.. pls feel free to enlighten me..

thanks in advance..

Hi Hackie,

I'm not expert in this area, but I would think the lens + flash that you mentioned is good enough. And yes, for outdoor photography it is recommended to use fill flash, especially under harsh lighting condition like a strong sun. Normally if the sun is very harsh and bright, use fill flash with about -1EV flash compensation (*not* exposure compensation). For overcast condition, use fill flash with about -2EV. For indoor shoots with low and (near) white ceiling, bounce flash with Stofen Omnibounce is good.

And no! Don't use Velvia 50 for human! Unless you want your sis or bro in law to look like oranges. I'm not too sure what slide is the best, but I've tried provia 100F on human and they looks ok.

Have fun! :)

Provia 100f is ok for human. Never touch elitechrome.. hehe.. unless you want them to turn carrot(Orange man).

p.s: why not make this an outing and maybe clubsnap can send 100 photographer for them.. heheheheh...then the marrage become bigger than zoe tay.

Oh yah I forgot to mention, as far as possible try to use Nikon SB series of flashes. No other 3rd party flash can beat the accuracy of 3D-matrix TTL flashes...

Originally posted by ziploc
Hi Hackie,

I'm not expert in this area, but I would think the lens + flash that you mentioned is good enough. And yes, for outdoor photography it is recommended to use fill flash, especially under harsh lighting condition like a strong sun. Normally if the sun is very harsh and bright, use fill flash with about -1EV flash compensation (*not* exposure compensation). For overcast condition, use fill flash with about -2EV. For indoor shoots with low and (near) white ceiling, bounce flash with Stofen Omnibounce is good.

And no! Don't use Velvia 50 for human! Unless you want your sis or bro in law to look like oranges. I'm not too sure what slide is the best, but I've tried provia 100F on human and they looks ok.

Have fun! :)

sad to say, my flash can't be programmed.. full auto!! :(
maybe using of diffuser will help?

and provia 100F will have a slight bluish cast rite?

Originally posted by Klause
Provia 100f is ok for human. Never touch elitechrome.. hehe.. unless you want them to turn carrot(Orange man).

p.s: why not make this an outing and maybe clubsnap can send 100 photographer for them.. heheheheh...then the marrage become bigger than zoe tay.

:confused:

i think they'll go blind with all the continunous flashing.. :confused:

Originally posted by hackie

sad to say, my flash can't be programmed.. full auto!! :(
maybe using of diffuser will help?

and provia 100F will have a slight bluish cast rite?

Yeah the diffuser will help in a way. 100F in outdoor, the bluish cast is not that prominant!

Originally posted by ziploc
Oh yah I forgot to mention, as far as possible try to use Nikon SB series of flashes. No other 3rd party flash can beat the accuracy of 3D-matrix TTL flashes...

i'm using the Sigma EF500 Std... so far so good...
cheap cheap.. dun expect too much... :D

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Yeah the diffuser will help in a way. 100F in outdoor, the bluish cast is not that prominant!

there's bound to be a mix of indoor/outdoor shots...

is there slide film tat's balanced?? :D

hi..

my sis had ask for me to be the photographer for her ROM end of May.. but this is gonna be my virgin attempt... so need some help and tips from you guys..

thanks in advance..

I'd recommend negative portriat films like Fuji NPC/NPS160 or NPH400. It gives very good skin tones and has a good contrast (not too high). Try not to use saturated slide films like Velvia and E100VS, etc as they may give oversaturated skin tones.

For fill flash, set flash exposure compensation between 1-2 stops - you have to experiment beforehand. A SBxx series flash is highly recommended. Doesn't really matter if you bounce it or not as you don't want the flash to be the dominant/primary light source.

Alternatively, if you need a photographer to do it, you know who to find. :D

Regards
CK

thanks ckiang...

will let u noe if i think i can't handle it... ;)

but of cos i must try out mah... so tat i can venture out to freelance too... :D

thanks ckiang...

will let u noe if i think i can't handle it... ;)

but of cos i must try out mah... so tat i can venture out to freelance too... :D

Give it a go, it's quite fun to do actually. And what better ways to practice than your family/friend's ROMs and weddings. ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Give it a go, it's quite fun to do actually. And what better ways to practice than your family/friend's ROMs and weddings. ;p

Regards
CK

ya.. at least wldn't kena so bad if i screw it up... :D

i shot for my fren once b4 didn't turn out too well keke...
inside the room the light's very orangy. juz some info for u.

hi..

thanks in advance..

Hi,

Print: I will go for Kodak Portra VC 160 or 400, depending on weather and location.

Slide: I will go for Fuji Astia.

28mm may not be wide enough indoors.

Bounce if it have a nice ceiling, but i like to combine bounce and diffuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.