Help needed for portrait lens..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binzento

Oct 29, 2004
Hi seniors. I need some help. Can you all provide me some insights on what lens to get for portrait shooting? I'm using a nikon D5000. I have people suggesting to me the 50mm f/1.4 lens, but this lens can't auto focus. So other than this lens what other lens are there i can get? Also are there any lens out there that are more favorable for portrait shooting which is able to auto focus?

Look for af-s or af-i lenses, or you can get the sigma, which has a built-in motor.

How comfortable are you being with being up close to the shooting subject? Secondly, how comfortable will be shooting subject be with a big dslr and lens shoved in their face?
Budget?

The 50mm is highly regarded on a crop body as it is 85mm equiv on FF/35mm film. Personally I have the 50 1.4 (after having the 1.8) and if the shooting subject is unknown to me, i find it a bit too up close and personal (since i do a lot of street candids).

If you are somewhat shy like myself, the 85mm 1.8 (1.4 if money isn't a problem) gives you the option of being a little be further away from the subject. Plus, the shoot subject may feel more at ease without a big lens in their face.

I've been using a 70-200 for certain portraits. It really depends on your budget and what other uses you can make out of the selected lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.