help needed for photo printing

iceblade

Jul 20, 2005
Singapore
Hi,
i sent my photo for printing. For some reason all of them seems like under exposed by 0.5 stop. I try reducing lightroom exposure by 0.5 and what i have seen on screen matches the print result.

FYI, i printed in photo lab. even I adjusted my monitor brightness to the lowest setting, i could not emulate the print out.

I use mbp with Dell 2713HM as monitor. The photo exposure is consistent across my monitor, mbp retina screen, iPad, iPhone.

Soft proofing in LR does not allow me to adjust the exposure for printing (to my knowledge).

btw, the photo is BW if that makes difference. any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi, i sent my photo for printing. For some reason all of them seems like under exposed by 0.5 stop. I try reducing lightroom exposure by 0.5 and what i have seen on screen matches the print result. FYI, i printed in photo lab. even I adjusted my monitor brightness to the lowest setting, i could not emulate the print out. I use mbp with Dell 2713HM as monitor. The photo exposure is consistent across my monitor, mbp retina screen, iPad, iPhone. Soft proofing in LR does not allow me to adjust the exposure for printing (to my knowledge). btw, the photo is BW if that makes difference. any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure if it helps. Asian eyes tend to prefer slightly over exposed pictures. When I shoot for clients, most of them prefer over exposed by 0.5 - 1 stop. Western people prefer just right. If you looked at Steve McCurry's photo book, you will find that they are slightly under for Asian standard.

Having blabbing so much, what I am saying is the machine you sent out to is probably 'right' calibrated? You should 'over exposure' a bit to get the results you want.

Thanks for the reply. It will be inconvenience as 0.5 stop does make a lot of different on screen esp with highlight etc. perhaps I will have to make virtual copy and over expose it by 0.5 stop before printing. I will try that and also printing other photos to see that they are matched.

Any recommendation for printing lab?

Thanks.

Get a screen calibration device. Without neutral and defined reference it's pointless to talk about what you see. Eyes are easily deceived.

Yeah. I know Octarine. I cannot justify the cost of purchasing one. Thanks.

I usually stick to a printer who has been printing my photos for many years. After much trial and error, and $$, I am now familiar with their settings and papers.

If the print does not come out right, then further adjustments and reprints. Not the cheapest way but that's what happens even if you print them yourself. But being familiar with the printer reduces reprinting quite a bit.

Yeah. I know Octarine. I cannot justify the cost of purchasing one. Thanks.

I think it is a small price to pay considering the money reprinting and effort adjusting / editing your photo. Without a true point of reference these are probably time and money wasted. Just my 2 cents

Hi,
i sent my photo for printing. For some reason all of them seems like under exposed by 0.5 stop. I try reducing lightroom exposure by 0.5 and what i have seen on screen matches the print result.

FYI, i printed in photo lab. even I adjusted my monitor brightness to the lowest setting, i could not emulate the print out.

I use mbp with Dell 2713HM as monitor. The photo exposure is consistent across my monitor, mbp retina screen, iPad, iPhone.

Soft proofing in LR does not allow me to adjust the exposure for printing (to my knowledge).

btw, the photo is BW if that makes difference. any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

First, it's normal for prints to appear less bright compared to screens as screens are a backlit source.

Second, have you checked if the lab applied any 'enhancements'? Some places auto apply stuff.

If you're not willing to get a calibration device, then yeah, moving forward you can do what you said (create virtual copies for export with your preferred adjustments and try again), or you can also ask the lab to adjust for you). E.g., For the same photo, you can ask them to do 5 prints @ +0.1 to +0.5 exposure, assuming the first reference print had no adjustments, and see how that turns out. I would expect some trial and error before you find your preferred sweet spot.

Expensive is because you use it only once or twice and no more than that. It is the perceived value. I understand the purpose as I used it in the past when it was CRT. I don't remember I use it much once I got the Color I want. In the past I also printed with my own printer.

That's my logic. Each to his own. Besides I have just back to photography again now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expensive is because you use it only once or twice and no more than that. It is the perceived value.
Screens age and with aging comes color shift. This is not only a topic for CRT bus for LCD as well. Our eyes are not able to see it because it's a slow and gradual shift. That's why screen calibration need to be repeated, it is not a simple one-off task. The software will setup a reminder, you can chose the interval. At the end of each calibration cycle you will be shown an example image with the old and the new profile. See for yourself.
Also, keep in mind that sometimes graphics card drivers include calibration profiles. The next update can apply changes that you didn't expect. Screens come with preset figures for colors and white point. Where is your reference point then?
Your approach can work but I doubt you really save something, whether time or money.

Fair enough. :)

Perhaps After I get my mojo back will invest. Now I am having mental block. It is so Difficult

Just spotted this deal in my inbox. Remembered this recent thread.

FYI for those interested. Comes up to about US$105 with shipping. Amazon sells this for US$140 with free shipping, so that's approx S$50 savings.

GDVF6pa.png