Help needed for DSLR

Raptor2k7

Jul 8, 2010
hi guys, i need help

currently using a d5000

when i shoot with live view, sometimes the image doesn't get captured by the camera after i press down the shutter button(heard the shutter sound but the image doesn't get saved)...any reasons for this? thanks :)

P.S : another question - how to take pictures in a room with totally no light? my digicam can do it but not my dslr..

1. Might wanna check your memory card.
2. Use a flash.

hi guys, i need help

currently using a d5000

when i shoot with live view, sometimes the image doesn't get captured by the camera after i press down the shutter button(heard the shutter sound but the image doesn't get saved)...any reasons for this? thanks :)
For D5000, when you go into LV mode, the mirror flips up to expose the sensor.
When you squeeze the shutter release, the mirror first lowers, then the normal cycle of "mirror-up + shutter open/close + mirror-down" occurs.
So listen out for the whole sequence of sounds to tell if one of them did not function properly.

It's also entirely possible that memory card was either not inserted, or defective. Thus no data written to card. Thus no image when you playback.

You check on your PC also shows no image captured?

P.S : another question - how to take pictures in a room with totally no light? my digicam can do it but not my dslr..

Change to manual focus and switch on your flash...
BTW, how your digi cam focus when in total darkness?:dunno:

sony have this twilight model(fully auto) PnS that can focus on an object in the darkness(pitch black) and take the pic that produce bright image, if i'm only told about this i would also say it's bull sh*t, but i've test it myself on sony showroom, really mind boggling :bsmilie:

I think it is high time you sell your DSLR. ;)

Sounds like you have a winner of a digicam there. DSLR cannot even come close.

Last edited:

With auto focus, there is the focus assist beam. How do you do manual focus in total darkness? Care to share?

i mean in total darkness you also can see abit what, if not what photos you want to take?

Tried night macro? You either manual focus with a focus light (torch) or use auto focus.

A technique called Painting with Light...In fact it is even ideal if you are in an almost totally dark room:

1. Mount your DSLR on a tripod and set the ISO to 400 or 800.
2. Set the expousre so that you a shutter speed of at least 10 seconds.
3. Set your camera to self-timer and press the shutter release button.

Once the shutter is released begin to paint the subject with a flashlight or torchlight like a paintbrush. If your subject is human make sure it stays still!

You may need to experiment to get the image you like as you'll likely be painting at different speeds.

Have fun !