Help needed for buying a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rongie

Oct 8, 2006
hi guys.. i'm look for a DSLR budget around 1.4k ... can go slightly higher... Any suggestions on which DSLR i shld get? i'm new to DSLR,looking for a user-friendly camera. Thinking of
400D.. all suggestions are welcomed.. THANKS

I started with the 350D. Feel that its too "plasticque" and sold it. Joined the dark side - Nikon.

400D is a good camera for your budget. The Kit lens is quite useless (sorry for the harsh word).

Personally I prefer the Nikon D80 for its more robust body. Seriously think if you want the kit lens. Its not too bad. Canon L lenses prices are dropping. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that Canon seems to have more freebies to entice buyer also. Do get a battery grip as well. It gives you better resale value in future. Also make the body more stable (and looks a bit more pro). Do some research on the lenses as well and the study some photos taken by both camera. At the end of it all, it depends on your own personally preference.

You may have to top up a bit for flash. Canon EX580 and Nikon SB800 are the best choice.

yeah... i also like d80.. but its over my budget... i understand it is ard 2.2k rite?

yeah... i also like d80.. but its over my budget... i understand it is ard 2.2k rite?

$1950 with kit lens. If you get 400D with the lousy kit lens, you'll still have to top up. Need to invest in at least 1 good lens that suits your interest. If not, might as well buy a compact camera.

Search through the forum for comparison... This is a all time favourite post in theis section. I am sure you will get enough informations to make up your mind.

C or N is entirely up to yourself.... There are die hards at both ends and also those that stand in the middle...

Lens and accessories is a good thind to looked into.... Good Luck and enjoy

Can also consider Pentax.. ;)

Do consider the Pentax K100D kit which can be had for around S$1.1k. The Pentax is seriously under-rated here in SG for a budget kit. For the price, it has a body with Image Stabilisation, a decent kit lens (better than the canon's kit) and decent build quality (better than canon 3xxD). Do have a look at it while u are at the shop..

hi guys.. i'm look for a DSLR budget around 1.4k ... can go slightly higher... Any suggestions on which DSLR i shld get? i'm new to DSLR,looking for a user-friendly camera. Thinking of
400D.. all suggestions are welcomed.. THANKS

Try getting a 350D/300D with a 17-85 lens combo. That would be a good starting combo IMO.

One vote for D70s here.;p

Jz get my D70s last few weeks. My first DSLR. Considered D80 before but for non profesional like me it wont make much difference if I get a D70s and D80. Anyway D70s have less focus point.

A no-regret buy.:thumbsup: With the price of D80, I can get other accessories - 2GB card, camera bag, heavy tripod together D70s with kit. A value buy.:thumbsup: Can get familiar with the camera quite soon if you keep on clicking it for a few days. Very durable battery too.

Jz my opinion, if you ever like D70s.:heart:

400D and 350D are very gd cameras. If you are looking for a Canon Dslr, I think they will fit ur budget just right. U can get a 2nd hand 350D then spend the remaining of your money to get a gd lens. Can save more than u buy a new 400D.. Just my point of view..:)

thanks for all your help! jus a thought... wad u guys think abt olympus E 500? would u suggest i consider it?

thanks for all your help! jus a thought... wad u guys think abt olympus E 500? would u suggest i consider it?

Personally i wont recommend other than C or N.
Reason behind is availability of accessories, from main things like lens, batt, to those for specific uses like remote cords etc.. In the long run, if u intent to invest more, your cost will be less. :)

Going for olympus is good if their 2 kit lens package suits you. Their range of zuiko lens may seem limited (as compared to C or N lenses), but the 2 kit lenses are of good quality and relatively cheaper than C or N lenses of the same optical quality. However, I think olympus still loses out slightly in terms of noise at high ISO (due to the smaller sensor size). :)

I am a 350D user, got it with kit lens 18mm-55mm. The kit lens allows me to take decent photo as a beginner. It is good enough to kick start this hobby.

Sorry to be very frank to you, if you just starting to be interested in DSLR, always keep your budget in mind. Dun ever think of earning money from it from the first day you got it. Don't get diverted once you set your mind.

Once you are familiar with DSLR, you will know what you want to do, you can always switch to any camp, of course C and N is preferred in the long run. Also, you start to realize which direction you to head to... like taking macro, sports action..etc. Then you will know wat lenses you want to invest in.

So, you gotta weight it yourself, at the end of the day... it is your $... :)
Hope my 2 cents worth help you abit....:bsmilie:

I am a 350D user, got it with kit lens 18mm-55mm. The kit lens allows me to take decent photo as a beginner. It is good enough to kick start this hobby.

Well said .... :thumbsup:
I started with a D70 plus kit lens .... experimented with it for more than a year.
Lots of things to learn ... so must be patient.

THANKS guys... wad if i compare 400d and 350d... although i find the grip slightly cramped up..

THANKS guys... wad if i compare 400d and 350d... although i find the grip slightly cramped up..

Personally i find the canon 350d grip too small too, you might wanna consider adding the battery pack (plus grip) for a better hold. But to me, that makes it a bit heavy and tiring for prolonged use.. ;p

Imho.. if u wanna stick to budget and only wanna choose between C & N, pick N better cos buy C liao will wanna add grip, change kit lens etc... sure break budget..

Trust me... dun think about budgeting in photography.... it is almost certain you will spend to upgrade... just a matter of when? But of cos spend wisely....

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.