help needed: focusing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sound-of-rev

Sep 15, 2003
22387776.jpg

1/250s f/3.5 at 13.4mm iso100

looking at the pic above, how to focus on every letter? The 'C' seems out of foucs.
I tried manually focusing on the CIV part, but the end will get out of focus, ie. "IC" will get out of focus.

I also tried standing further away from the logo and zoom in, still can't focus on every letter.
Any ways to focus clearly on every letter?

looks like your point of focus is on 'V' while 'CI' are nearer to you and the last 'C' farthest from you

i do not know what distance between subject and focal plane, what f stop you were using, what focal lenght u were shooting at so cant comment more.

the dof seems shallow and my general comment would be to stop down the lens until dof covers the entire word

ed9119 said:
looks like your point of focus is on 'V' while 'CI' are nearer to you and the last 'C' farthest from you

i do not know what distance between subject and focal plane, what f stop you were using, what focal lenght u were shooting at so cant comment more.

the dof seems shallow and my general comment would be to stop down the lens until dof covers the entire word
thanks dude for replying. I added the f stop and focal length above.
it's 1/250s f/3.5 at 13.4mm iso100 .

what do you mean by " stop down the lens until dof covers the entire word" ?

sound-of-rev said:
thanks dude for replying. I added the f stop and focal length above.
it's 1/250s f/3.5 at 13.4mm iso100 .

what do you mean by " stop down the lens until dof covers the entire word" ?

Stoping down means that you should close the aperture smaller,eg: f5.6 0r f8 or f11.

are you using digicam or 35mm film cameras? with 35mm, if your camera has a D.O.F. preview,you can know approximately how sharp your fore and aft is.

For me, i will focus on the "C" and probably go to f11 or f16. your focal length used will also affect the D.O.F

Its becos of the nature of the shot that you took. First thing is the shallow DOF that you took. You probably focused on the V if I am not wrong. Try focusing on the first C. The letters should then all be in focus.

Seach the forum. Someone had the same problem as you did. Its not exactly a problem its just the nature of the lens. Its somehting to do with the hyperfocal length.

andylee said:
Stoping down means that you should close the aperture smaller,eg: f5.6 0r f8 or f11.

are you using digicam or 35mm film cameras? with 35mm, if your camera has a D.O.F. preview,you can know approximately how sharp your fore and aft is.

For me, i will focus on the "C" and probably go to f11 or f16. your focal length used will also affect the D.O.F

I'm using f717. If i use bigger aperture, the background will be clearer or more in focus right?

Possible to have a larger aperture and yet a shallow DOF?

coke21 said:
Its becos of the nature of the shot that you took. First thing is the shallow DOF that you took. You probably focused on the V if I am not wrong. Try focusing on the first C. The letters should then all be in focus.

Seach the forum. Someone had the same problem as you did. Its not exactly a problem its just the nature of the lens. Its somehting to do with the hyperfocal length.

I tried focusing on the first C, in the end the last 2 letters became out of focus, so to be fair to every letters, i focus on the V which is in the center. :p

sound-of-rev said:
I'm using f717. If i use bigger aperture, the background will be clearer or more in focus right?

Possible to have a larger aperture and yet a shallow DOF?

you can do that if you are using wide angle lens, so you see, the wider the focal length, the greater the depth will be.

sound-of-rev said:
I tried focusing on the first C, in the end the last 2 letters became out of focus, so to be fair to every letters, i focus on the V which is in the center. :p

In this case fairness won't work for the shot. Try focusing on the I then.
go read the link. I should give you an idea what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.