Help needed - Err CF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Sigh ... :cry:

I just took a bunch of photos today and after the shoot, I can even preview the shots on my camera.

Just use a card reader to access the card and to my horror, it requested that I need to format my card! I tried to read the card on my camera and to my horror it showed "Err CF"!

Are there any ways to retrieve the photos? :bheart:

yes...do not format the card, just try those rescure software that you can find them in the internet. I hit these problem before and only can get back some of the images. Later found out that actually is the card reader had corrupted my CF card. Best of luck to you.
You can try PCI Filerecovery or Imagerecall.

well, if u format the CF , you still can recover the card.

a friend of mine had the same problem. When the card is in the camera, the camera couldnt read the card, and a format prompt come up. Formatted the card, then use a recovery s/w and walaaaa, all the picture recovered.

sigg said:
well, if u format the CF , you still can recover the card.

a friend of mine had the same problem. When the card is in the camera, the camera couldnt read the card, and a format prompt come up. Formatted the card, then use a recovery s/w and walaaaa, all the picture recovered.

Serious? :S i formatted before cos i heard the same info... but mine really got lost *sob*...

aniways, uncle adam, here's a link that might help! --: http://www.recovermydigitalphotos.com/?gclid=CLqEm4qUuIYCFQtRCwodkjcyPg

ParkertR said:
Serious? :S i formatted before cos i heard the same info... but mine really got lost *sob*...

aniways, uncle adam, here's a link that might help! --: http://www.recovermydigitalphotos.com/?gclid=CLqEm4qUuIYCFQtRCwodkjcyPg

yea parker, i am serious though he is using SD :)

he was so thankful. well no choice i guess since the card cannot be read and had to be formatted. Until now I am still curious how the files are stored in the memory card...need to take up PhD course :bsmilie:

From what I found, CF storage, like any other FAT volume, "erases" files by replacing the first letter of the filename with an invalid character in the file allocation table; its space is marked as free, and new files will eventually overwrite the space which was used by the deleted files. To recover your photographs, use any FAT16/32 undeletion tool. On a Windows machine, R-Studio FAT is an excellent solution that combines drive imaging with low-level recovery... :D

Adam Goi said:
Does that mean I need to format it first before I use the recovery software?

Thanks!
Depend on what kind of format. If full format you might not able to recovery anything. Fast format may not destroy the data.

But if you want to try recovery program, do not format!

Regards,
Arto.

Urgh ... can only recovery the first few files ... :cry:

Just to confirm; if I format the card does it mean the recovery software can't do anything?

Thanks again ... haiz ...

Adam Goi said:
Praise God! Formatting the card did the trick! :cheergal:

Thanks for all the input guys! :thumbsup:

Good for you, at least my advice works :)

On the PC!! I didn't expect that. I would have thought that you've done it on the camera.
Anyway, thanks for the info Bro.

I read Adam's thread on recovering his files... I am encountering a slightly different problem ::cry:

My SD card failed to load on the camera and on the PC.

How do I recover my photos? I cannot format it on the PC like Adam becuz the PC doesn't read the card, should I try formatting on the camera? Will my pics be lost?

Please help!!

Canon2006 said:
I read Adam's thread on recovering his files... I am encountering a slightly different problem ::cry:

My SD card failed to load on the camera and on the PC.

How do I recover my photos? I cannot format it on the PC like Adam becuz the PC doesn't read the card, should I try formatting on the camera? Will my pics be lost?

Please help!!

try in camera formatting. Keep your finger crossed and use any recover s/w...should work.
But dont blame me if it doesnt :bsmilie: . Seriously, I did it last time with in camera formatting and it works....good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.