Help needed -- Electrical plugs in Japan: Which type??

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I'm traveling to Japan (Hokkaido+Tokyo) on Wednesday. Could someone kindly confirm what kind of plugs they use over there?

I found this website:
http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

What I'm confused is, it seems that Japan is using both Class A (2 prongs) and Class B (3 prongs) types. Does that mean to be safe I have to bring two different types of adaptors?

Moreover, I notice there are holes on the prongs of the plug. Can I use an adaptor without the holes?

Thanks!!!

Went all over to most prefectures, at least the ones I'd noticed all hotels & ryokans I'd stayed are using belongs to this type:

||

Just ensure that the charger has a label that says something like: 100/110V - 240V, 50-60Hz

I always use the Type A when I was in Japan. The holes at prongs of the power socket does not matter. (I actually did not take note of this!)

As Bro jsbn mentioned, most importantly your equipment is multi-voltage.

My travels include remote areas of Hokkaido too FYI. And their electrical prongs are those 2 lined ones: ||

Don't worry about the temperature. I let my camera hang out and it din kill 'em. In fact, I noticed that the ISO sensor noise at colder temperature seems to be much more controlled than it is here. Maybe its psychological.

Beautiful place, enjoy urself. And let urself go at Countdown Sapporo 2007 at Odori Park! ;)

Thanks guys... Actually I only have the Class A double prongs type. So will bring that.

I think most modern day chargers come with multiple voltages but thanks for the reminder. Will double check on that. Japan uses 100V I read.

But on my adaptor, there's a fine print saying 250V. That's irrelevant? I've used it in the US with no probs. I assume that doesn't harm the equipment?

jsbn,

U went free and easy? Mine's a few short days guided tour... So can't wait till end 2007 for any countdown!

Wanted to extend another 3 days after the tour but unsuccessful. All tours fully booked. :(

Not sure if we're going to Odori Park though.... Anyway, think it's freezing cold in Sapporo now!

Japan uses... 100V (or izzit 110V) can't remember clearly.

But so far all my chargers: Camera Battery Charger, AA Battery Charger, Handphone Charger, Laptop plugged into mains, all work well.

My only grouse is becos they use two-prongs, it doesn't feel as 'solid' like when u plug into our standard 3-prong head. But it stays in alright and stays in well. :)

Class A is fine, Type B looks like type A with the grounding.....it's backward compatible but you should notice that the right pin is smaller than the left...but I have no problem so far with those multipurpose plug that I brought :thumbsup:

jsbn,

U went free and easy? Mine's a few short days guided tour... So can't wait till end 2007 for any countdown!

Wanted to extend another 3 days after the tour but unsuccessful. All tours fully booked. :(

Not sure if we're going to Odori Park though.... Anyway, think it's freezing cold in Sapporo now!
Yupz. All F&Es. Heard enuff of horror stories to put me off tour packages for good.

Sapporo itself shld be ok with minimal wind chill and day ambient temperatures ranging from 0 to -3. Night shld see temperatures fall down to abt -8.

The biggest chill yet, is in Asahikawa (the coldest spot in Hokkaido). If u're going there, pile up a little on the warm clothes. :) I was going to Wakkanai on train and saw the weather forecast at Asahikawa in train this January and saw the ambient was -16 and I froze upon seeing the digits flash by.

Status
Not open for further replies.