Help Needed: Different Colour Cast n Tint

Status
Not open for further replies.

swishbrade

May 31, 2007
Singapore
Guys

Really need some help. I tweaked a portrait pic on Lightroom (monitor is Spyder calibrated), exported it and posted it on the forum. Viewed with the same monitor, the tweaked picture was rosy but the exported jpeg picture posted on the forum had a slight green tint to it. The people looked a little ill.

Then compared same exported picture on Microsoft Photo Editor and the one in the forum (using the same monitor) and even then, I could see the green tint on the portrait picture posted on the forum.

Comparing the tweaked but unexported picture from Lightroom and the picture on Microsoft Photo Editor, the one on Microsoft Photo Editor had a stronger green tint.

What wrong brothers? Can help?

Thanks!

John

Guys

Really need some help. I tweaked a portrait pic on Lightroom (monitor is Spyder calibrated), exported it and posted it on the forum. Viewed with the same monitor, the tweaked picture was rosy but the exported jpeg picture posted on the forum had a slight green tint to it. The people looked a little ill.

Then compared same exported picture on Microsoft Photo Editor and the one in the forum (using the same monitor) and even then, I could see the green tint on the portrait picture posted on the forum.

Comparing the tweaked but unexported picture from Lightroom and the picture on Microsoft Photo Editor, the one on Microsoft Photo Editor had a stronger green tint.

What wrong brothers? Can help?

Thanks!

John
Internet browsers are not colour managed applications. Therefore no matter how accurate was Spyder in creating monitor profile, browsers like Internet Explorer and FireFox 2 just ignore that profile. If this is really annoying, there are few things you can do:

- In Photoshop convert to monitor profile just before saving into JPEG. Edit -> Convert Profile; in Destination Space choose the profile that was created by Spider, in Intent make sure "Relative Colorimetric" is selected, then either Save As JPEG or Save for Web. This should make a picture to look identical in both Photoshop and IE on your computer. The only problem is that all other Internet users might see green/blue/pink/yellow tint, depending on their monitors' profiles.

- Get a Mac. It has a colour managed browser. This will work for you, but other Internet users who don't use Apple might still see green/blue/pink/yellow tint, depending on how good or bad their monitors are.

- Wait for FireFox 3. Reportedly it will be colour managed. This will work for you, but other Internet users who don't have Mac or FireFox might still see green/blue/pink/yellow tint.

- Complain to Microsoft. They might consider including colour managed IE into the next Windows OS. If they would, you can expect that by 2015 80% of computers will be colour managed, and only 20% of Internet users (half a billion people?) will still see green/blue/pink/yellow tint.

Internet browsers are not colour managed applications. Therefore no matter how accurate was Spyder in creating monitor profile, browsers like Internet Explorer and FireFox 2 just ignore that profile. If this is really annoying, there are few things you can do:

- In Photoshop convert to monitor profile just before saving into JPEG. Edit -> Convert Profile; in Destination Space choose the profile that was created by Spider, in Intent make sure "Relative Colorimetric" is selected, then either Save As JPEG or Save for Web. This should make a picture to look identical in both Photoshop and IE on your computer. The only problem is that all other Internet users might see green/blue/pink/yellow tint, depending on their monitors' profiles.

- Get a Mac. It has a colour managed browser. This will work for you, but other Internet users who don't use Apple might still see green/blue/pink/yellow tint, depending on how good or bad their monitors are.

- Wait for FireFox 3. Reportedly it will be colour managed. This will work for you, but other Internet users who don't have Mac or FireFox might still see green/blue/pink/yellow tint.

- Complain to Microsoft. They might consider including colour managed IE into the next Windows OS. If they would, you can expect that by 2015 80% of computers will be colour managed, and only 20% of Internet users (half a billion people?) will still see green/blue/pink/yellow tint.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Hitz! I guess the green/blue/pink/yellow tint on another person's PC is just something that is quite unavoidable.... :(

Please allow me to test your recommendations here. Here are pics with and without conversion in colour profile:

_MG_0084-51-Edit-Edit-1.jpg

_MG_0084-51-Edit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.