help needed - Canon 10-22mm lens, Sigma 10-22mm lens and Tokina 11-16mm

alexela

Dec 21, 2010
had read on Canon 10-22mm lens, Sigma 10-22mm lens and Tokina 11-16mm but, i still cant decided on which lens to get. helppppp !!

had read on Canon 10-22mm lens, Sigma 10-22mm lens and Tokina 11-16mm but, i still cant decided on which lens to get. helppppp !!

Tokina 11-16mm for the better price and constant wide aperture. A good, sharp lens.
Incidentally I also own the EF-S 10-22mm. But to me, the wider constant 2.8 of the Tokina is more important.

tokina 11-16mm

i think there is no sigma 10-22, i presume you are refering to sigma 10-20.

of all the 3 wide angle lens, you can narrow down the choice to canon or tokina as sigma 10-22 is only average. Tokina, on the other hand, is well know for its F2.8, but do you really need a fast lens for landscape, only you can answer this question. For me, i usually set to F8-F11 for landscape, so i do not need fast lens. Both sigma and tokina are 3rd party lens, hence possible of front and back focusing problem.

Canon 10-22 has nice colour, great sharpness and well control flare and distortion. 22mm on crop is like 35mm for full format, hence it is also very good as a general lens too. Hence, Canon is my choice.

My vote goes for the sigma 10-20 F4-5.6. Best bang for the buck. Feels rock solid in terms of built over the other 2 rivals. Canon 10-22 was out due to budget constraint.

Between Toki 11-16 and Sigma 10-20, the sharpness looks comparable. Having visited the forums and flickr discussion groups for these 2 lens, some pics appear soft while some are pin sharp. Tough call.

So I ended up with the sigma and it has served me well. I do not need f2.8 for landscape shots. Plus the difference in price left me with some change for a good filter.

There are a few threads for these lenses in the sigma/tamron/tokina equipment. You should take a look.

Last edited: