Help needed, 2mp or >3mp???

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cegnet

I am a newbie at digital camera, (had been using SLR all along)
Could someone be kind enough to help mi.

i heard pp saying that if u wan to print out hardcopy of ur pic, u needed at least 3Megapixel and above.

This is true?? If not, wat is the most reliable, cheapest digital camera around?
Thank :)

Originally posted by cegnet
I am a newbie at digital camera, (had been using SLR all along)
Could someone be kind enough to help mi.

i heard pp saying that if u wan to print out hardcopy of ur pic, u needed at least 3Megapixel and above.

This is true?? If not, wat is the most reliable, cheapest digital camera around?
Thank :)

3mp will be the coming low-end... the models wil generally be going 3mp...
meaning that if u're on a tight budget, 2mp cams will be cheaper.
and afaik, the low end cameras are never going to have any major features/functions improvements..
so any one will do....

as for hardcopy, the higher the better, as usual. sharper the more mp. but generally 2mp is good enough at 5R to "miss" the jaggies, and 3mp at S8R, for general detailed pics. if u shoot skies and tones the res dun matter that much...

cheapest reliable"st" one? imho think they all suck at this range... yeah imho :)

As a previous SLR user, u will definitely miss the control u have over your pics if u go for a 2-3 MP cam, as most have not enough manual settings for u to play around with. Furthermore, the feel and 'power' of the camera will also not be there.

If possible, try to go for 4 MP cams. It's a good compromise between pic quality, price & ease of use. Last time, 2 MP was the standard. Now it's 3 MP. I estimate by the end of this year, 4 MP will be what manufacturers aim for. My 2 MP cam bought almost two years ago is a little 'obsolete', compared to now.
But u gotta know what u plan to do with your pics. Online viewing, 2 MP is fine, but printing anything larger than 5R will need 3-4 MP & above. Forget about A4...

Also consider which media format u prefer. Compactflash is generally prefered for it's ruggedness, good MB to price ratio and wide availability. SD/MMC, XD, and the older Smartmedia are the other choices. Fujifilm & Olympus normally use Smartmedia or XD. There's one that can take 3 types though... the Oly C5050. Other brands normally go for compactflash. Sony? Heh heh... memory stick it is.

Check these out:

4 MP : Canon G3.
3 MP : Olympus C730UZ, Fujifilm Finepix S304, Nikon 3500, Pentax models(read some not so good reviews though)

U'll probably wanna switch back to SLR.

Or worse. Might join the DSLR. (Dark side)

:) Thz for all the advice. I will be using the digital camera for taking Pic for com viewing and may occasionally print out hardcopy(but will be less than 4R for sure).

If I wan a better pic think will be using back my trustly SLR.

Can someone advice mi which brand of digital camera(2mp) is the cheapest (mi on a really tight budget) and where can i get it?

Frankly, not many choices left for 2MP cams. Take a look at Fujifilm's A203, Finepix 2800 zoom. I used a A202 before, not bad the picture quality. Bright & sharp. Better than the Olympus C-120 which I also field tested.

Nikon 2500, a bit old, but still gives u good pics. Perhaps the 2000.

Canon A40, Ixus V2, Ixus 330 can consider too. If I remember corrrectly, my friend bought a A40 from Alan Photo(Sim Lim Sq) for a little less than $300.

i own a 2800z
it a not bad cam lor
P&S and got x6 optical for those hard reach areas
hehe

i saw before a101 pic quaiity not bad too for a cheapest and lowest end of fuj's one can take nite shhot not bad like those x/mas one

take a look at my album below lor
tat is my 2800z album :D

but if u dontmind get a a40 more functions lor
althgout is got x3 optical and pic quality is not bad too only got some soft areas but colors is great
as it's canon's trademark lor Color's

Thz , I have check out the spec of the few camera recommended.
I had zero down to a few, Fuji A202, A203, 2800 Canon A40, A200.
Fuji is using XD picture card and the rest are using Compactflash. May i know which is better?? and wat the pro and con?
I read from strait times tt mention tt when buying digital camera, it is best to buy one tt had long battery life, cos the power consumption is very high.
Does anyone know about the price of these camera??
Thz a million!:D :thumbsup:

Check this out: http://www.hardwarezone.com/classified/viewad.hwz?aid=189086&category=

Canon A200 selling for $200. Is it worth it?? Safe to buy 2nd hand..........:dunno: :confused:

Originally posted by cegnet
Thz , I have check out the spec of the few camera recommended.
I had zero down to a few, Fuji A202, A203, 2800 Canon A40, A200.
Fuji is using XD picture card and the rest are using Compactflash. May i know which is better?? and wat the pro and con?
I read from strait times tt mention tt when buying digital camera, it is best to buy one tt had long battery life, cos the power consumption is very high.
Does anyone know about the price of these camera??
Thz a million!:D :thumbsup:

Check this out: http://www.hardwarezone.com/classified/viewad.hwz?aid=189086&category=

Canon A200 selling for $200. Is it worth it?? Safe to buy 2nd hand..........:dunno: :confused:

You'll be losing out a lot for the a200 compared to other 2mp - 3mp range.

Not much manual functions to play with, and no optical zoom.

spend a bit more and get a a40...
the best budget camera i know with host of functionality

Originally posted by espn
U'll probably wanna switch back to SLR.

Or worse. Might join the DSLR. (Dark side)

hehehe.. you are evil..:devil: :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.