Help: need to determine where broken wire goes in 430EX

darkness

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
Dear all, I have a problem and need some help. I did a mod on my 430EX to achieve 180 deg rotation clockwise but unfortunately broke a wire inside that resulted in the flash being stuck in full power mode all the time, whether in TTL or manual mode. I need to know where the broken wire goes so that I can solder it back to its rightful place. Is there anyone who has opened up his 430EX before and is willing to lend a helping hand to let me know where the wire is supposed to go? Thanks!

The mystery black wire:
TS940x940~8e45a486cc3a4fc4a20674652e9f2423

Closer look at the wire:
TS1600x1600~ccefc05278e142cc9cf806829a63bb23

The broken wire as seen from the other side of the PCB:
TS940x940~e35d5155ff934593a08febfb351347a0

That black line is fiber optics. There's no metal wire inside so soldering won't work. There is a special tool to cut fiber optics. You can try to remove the remaining piece in the connector and reinsert the long line coming from the flash head

Last edited:
May be dangerous to do self modification of such high voltage devices. If not done properly and the flash reassembled, it might:
• catch fire; or
• explode; or
• give user high voltage shock
• seriously damage your expensive DSLR electronics

Also not a good idea to buy second hand or used flashes that look as if the previous owner has "modified" or tampered with the electronic innards.

Last edited:
That black line is fiber optics. There's no metal wire inside so soldering won't work. There is a special tool to cut fiber optics. You can try to remove the remaining piece in the connector and reinsert the long line coming from the flash head

fatigue, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! You help me saved the need to buy another flash!! Turns out that there was nothing broken on the inside. The fibre optic was simply slotted over the optical sensor bracket. I was trying to trace the "wire" but could not find another broken solder point. After you prompted that it is a fibre optic, the answer became painfully obvious that the there was a "hole" in the bracket where the fibre optic should have went.

Thank you once again for your help!!