Help! Need S9000 settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST1100

Jun 18, 2003
Singapore, Bedok
What are the correct print settings for Lyson Professional Photo Satin (265gsm) paper on Canon S9000?

Can't seem to get it right... wasting expensive paper.

hi,

what is ur setting so far and what has been the result?

i've tried, in order:

Glossy Photo Paper, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity 0
Photo Paper Pro, Print Quality 2, ICM, Intensity 0
High Gloss Photo Film, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity 0
Matte Photo Paper, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity 0
Photo Paper Plus Glossy, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity 0
High Resolution Paper, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity 0
Plain Paper, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity 0
Photo Paper Plus Glossy, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity +5
Photo Paper Plus Glossy, Print Quality 1, ICM, Intensity -5
Matte Photo Paper, Print Quality 1, no ICM, Type: None, Intensity 0
Matte Photo Paper, Print Quality 1, no ICM, Type: Auto, Intensity 0

None of the settings were quite right. Can see pixel on the paper even with naked eye. The pictures used for testing have been printed OK before on other papers.

i am no expert, but got some experience with S9000 on diff papers(glossy to matt to lustre). hope can help.
what's the output you are getting? greenish cast?
you having problems with the intensity of the print?

you can try converting ur pic to CMYK first, then on PS, click to "view", "proof setup" and then activate "simulate white paper". Compare this to the print you get. How does your print match up to ut original prints? print a copy in this manner than compare to your monitor again. how does it match up?
reason why i do the above step is because it helps me to visualisse the output -> pretty close in my experience.

cheers!

Thanx beachbum.

i'm using PS 5.0 LE. i don't think it has proofing features.

What settings do you use with lustre paper? And what lustre paper do you use? AFAIK, Canon does not make one.

The problem i have is pixelation at all settings i've tried. i'm beginning to wonder if it's just the texture of the paper i'm using. i'm ruling that out bcoz it only seems to occur in green and yellow. Reds/Pinks are perfectly smooth, even under a loupe.

The colour matching w the monitor is very close; not an issue. i guess if i don't mind some pixelating, i can live with Matte or High Gloss setting. It's just that the paper's a bit too pricey to waste.

using lustre aka pearl paper from Ilford.
i don't get the problem of pixelation that you mentioned.
but i do get banding problem - can see the horizontal marks left by the print head. do u have this problem? if so, how to solve it?

i don't get banding except on very 'wrong' settings - i got banding on 'plain paper' setting.

BTW, how much is that paper you mentioned, and where can i get it locally? The Lyson paper i got is $36 for 20, CP.

i realized that maybe i was too particular. It's not really fair to scrutinise a print under a loupe. i've settled on either matte or high gloss film setting.

Anyway, i emailed Lyson, and this was their reply. So i'm sticking to High Gloss Film. Thanx for the help, guys.

From Lyson:
===================

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

The settings we would normally use would be:-

High Res/Quality Gloss Film or
Premium Quality Gloss Paper

See which gives you the best results out of thos two. These setting would be
generally recommended if you were using the Lyson Fotonic or Quad Black
inks with that paper, but should be OK with the Canon inks too.

Thanks again. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

With Regards,
Stephen Martinson
Product Manager - Digital Photo & Fine Art

===================

Ilford Smooth Pearl is available at Ruby Photo. $19 for 25sheets of A4. A3 price should be roughly double.

yeah yeah, get banding when using "plain paper" setting. but then, i was using plain paper and din want to waste a lot of ink.
thanks

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Ilford Smooth Pearl is available at Ruby Photo. $19 for 25sheets of A4. A3 price should be roughly double.

That's quite cheap. i will try it. Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.