Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Can anyone can give some tips please??
Maybe places I should go for the best shots etc
Going over NDP
Thanks
P

Have you settled your accomodation? If you have not, I stayed at "The Villa Siem Reap" which is a pretty cosy budget place to stay in, but a bit more expensive than other guesthouses. Check it out at www.thevillasiemreap.com ... Good thing is they also have tours and packages. Check out http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-siemreap-guide-stay.htm for other accomodation recommendations if you are not on a budget.

Transport wise, a Tutu costs $12USD per day (10 hours ) around Angkor area. Be prepared to eat some dust if you choose to travel by Tutu as the roads there are quite dusty, but I would say it is the best way to travel around Siem Reap. Cars (Toyota camrys) cost about $20-$25 per day in Angkor area. If you want to catch sunrise or go to the outlying temples, they cost a bit more. Make sure you ask for a English speaking driver as the drivers will know where to bring you and may even tell you stories..You might want to consider hiring an English speaking guide at $20-$25 USD per day, your guesthouse or hotel will be able to find a driver and registered guide for you. I had a guide on the first day of my temple tours, and he was able to give a intro to the history of the temples and cambodia, and point out all the good photo spots. So for advice on places to go, your guide or driver will be able to tell you best. Hope you have better weather this time round as when I went to Siemreap in June/July, the sky was perpetually cloudy and not so good for photo taking. :bsmilie: It rains everyday in the afternoon also. And when it rains, the town area in Siem Reap really floods. I am not able to recommend you any special places to take photos as the temples I went to are pretty standard ones.

Entry to the main temples in Angkor area requires a pass, $20USD for 1 day, $40USD for 3 days, $60USD for 5 days. You have some days before your trip, so the best thing you can do now is to buy/borrow a guidebook to read up before your trip. Guidebooks are also available in the temple areas, where the locals will peddle them. They are *ahem* ones, costing a few dollars each, but in quite good print quality (with colours somemore) and are indispensable if you are venturing on your own. Most of the prices are pretty much bargainable in SiemReap but one thing I always recall from one of the small pocket guides my guesthouse provided is that the few dollars you save from bargaining might be more important to the people there than to yourself.. So try not to bargain too much. There will be children "begging" you for money at the Temples (some beg, while some sell you stuffs) saying they have no money to go to school, While there are Ads in the local pocket guide saying the best way to help the children out of poverty is to donate to the Welfare organisations there, I couldn't help but buy (drinks or souveniers) from those kids. One thing I learnt from a fellow bro is to always stock up on biscuits or sweets to give the kids (oreos is a good idea.. and the kids will be very appreciative)
One thing to note though is once you give or buy something from a kid, the others will literally swarm to you.

Do not just visit temples in SR, but also spend some time to appreciate the people and their way of living there. You will have good photo opportunities taking photos of the people there too. You might also want to consider a boat trip to the Tonle Sap lake or the kampongs there. Depending on the season, the kampongs might not be accessible.

Hope it helps~ :)

looks like rongren's reply is quite informative. however, if you are not the adventurous type, you might want to hire a local guide to bring you around. most budget hotels have their own guide. check the service out. some may prove to be worthwhile.

i've been there and a bunch of us hired the hotel guide to bring us around. some of the places we went to may not be apparent if you are moving around on your own.

plenty of options are availabe. just choose what is best and suits your needs. also, bargain whenever possible.

Help me to buy KRAMA SCARF. US$2 for 5 pieces....! buy for 10 pieces...assorted nice funky modern colours........please..:) i buy u kopi..

Thanks for all the comments
They are very helpful
I will buy some scarfs if I find them, get a couple extra if I can
Cheers
P
PS: am staying at Aspara?

Greetings from Angkor friends

BTW I got a spare scarf, pm me if you are serious

AngjorsunrisesmII.jpg

thank you for the scarfs...Hope u have a great time there.

remember : bargain...more than 50%..the kids are super sales people!!..:)

ooh, hows the weather there right now? SUPER Hot?

Rainy, esp in early pm, humid but not boiling and too many Singaporeans.... ;)
I should have taken a pic of the buffet line, you can tell who is a SG....

oh ok... shall bring a raincoat then... or try to avoid shooting during that period of time... cheers!

Best to have some protection for the camera, I wouldn't worry about the drizzle for yourself ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.