Help need on a lens purchase

marrrkyyy

Apr 23, 2010
Hi, noob here. Very noob. I have been using a Sony alpha 500 for about 6 months now. I've been sourcing out lenses for landscape photography.

I found the Sigma 12-24mm wide angle lens with a sony alpha mount. Is this a good lens?

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs?

Does 12-24mm mean i cannot zoom as much as compared to my kits lens of 18-55mm?

its a good lens, but its more for full frame users.

You can consider Tokina / Sony 11-16, Sigma 10-20 or Sigma 8-16.

Those lenses will be even wider than the 12-24.

Sounds like you have no idea about the basics on lenses and focal length.

I suggest you do not buy any lens until you know what you are doing. Buying lenses blindly without knowing how to use them will not give you nicer pictures.

The only way you can get nicer pictures is to upgrade your skills. And you have to start by understanding your camera first.

Good start here:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Hi, noob here. Very noob. I have been using a Sony alpha 500 for about 6 months now. I've been sourcing out lenses for landscape photography.
I found the Sigma 12-24mm wide angle lens with a sony alpha mount. Is this a good lens?
1) There is no 'landscape lens" - all lenses can be used to take such pictures. The focal length and field of view will be different for each lens and you need to select the one that fits your needs.
2) Whether a lens is good or not cannot be answered that simply. Google for "[lens type] review" and read through the results. Make yourself familiar with the basic terms.
3) For prices there is a Price Guide section. Please have a good look there. For 3rd party lenses you can also use the prices of other mounts as rough guide, they don't differ that much as long as the lens is the same (e.g. with or without stabilizer).
4) Please drop the idea of "zooming more or less". Lenses are defined by their focal length and (depending on sensor) resulting Field of View. The change from 12mm to 22mm will be much more visible than the change from 45mm to 55mm.

12-24 price u can go Cathay to ask , can't rem is it 900 .

As for the zoom reach I think it's pretty obvious looking at the focal length description heh

Ur 18-55 is already capable of shooting wide landscape pictures le , you got try before ?

Thanks guys.

i tried before. but i want to try a wider angle lens. so yeah.

sorry v v noob

Go to dyxum.com to read the reviews. Then buy the best based on what you can afford or what you are willing to pay. Cheers. :)

Thanks guys.

i tried before. but i want to try a wider angle lens. so yeah.

sorry v v noob

If want wider 12-24 , 16-35, and the Sony dt would be fine I think you need ard 1k to get these lens.

im planning to buy prime lens 85mm f1.8 for my portrait, any idea for cheapest prices?
im using now Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC Macro. Is this lens good for portrait? or landscape? or macro?
Please have the decency to follow the Terms of Service that you have agreed to:
1) Do not 'hijack' other people's thread. (This thread is about wide angle lens, which a 85mm clearly is not.)
2) Do your own search for the prices, shops are listed here multiple times.
3) Read reviews, read up about the basics of photography, then tell us (in a new thread!) what your 18-50 is lacking for taking portraits. Also: please state your camera type.
First posting and so far off. Lots of room for improvements.

Thanks guys. Ive tried firework and lightning shots, alot of night thats all.

I wanna know whats the differnece between a Sigma 10-20 and 12-24 wide angle lens.

is 600 plus a good offer for the 12-24 sony mount?

im planning to buy prime lens 85mm f1.8 for my portrait, any idea for cheapest prices?

im using now Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC Macro. Is this lens good for portrait? or landscape? or macro?

Why are you hijacking other user's threads? :nono:

Thanks guys. Ive tried firework and lightning shots, alot of night thats all.

I wanna know whats the differnece between a Sigma 10-20 and 12-24 wide angle lens.

is 600 plus a good offer for the 12-24 sony mount?

It's too bad you missed out on today's Alpha3 event. We had almost 100 Sony users gathered in one place, with dozens of lenses (and new camera bodies like A33 and A55...) that were there. Easy to share info and ask.

If you read up on the descriptions and reviews (easily available all over the web, on sites like dyxum.com) you would know the 10-20 is designed for crop sensor cameras while the 12-24 is designed for full frame.

And, by the very definition, the 12-24 gives you 2mm less on the wideangle and 4mm more on the telephoto range.

It's too bad you missed out on today's Alpha3 event. We had almost 100 Sony users gathered in one place, with dozens of lenses (and new camera bodies like A33 and A55...) that were there. Easy to share info and ask.

If you read up on the descriptions and reviews (easily available all over the web, on sites like dyxum.com) you would know the 10-20 is designed for crop sensor cameras while the 12-24 is designed for full frame.

And, by the very definition, the 12-24 gives you 2mm less on the wideangle and 4mm more on the telephoto range.

THANKS MAN! :D So if im now on like the kit lens 18-55. Would it be alright to upgrade to that 10-20 one?

THANKS MAN! :D So if im now on like the kit lens 18-55. Would it be alright to upgrade to that 10-20 one?

If you *really* need the extra wide-angle, why not? But why not try to rent/borrow lenses first? UWA lenses bring along distortion, vignetting, etc. You should know what you're getting yourself into.

Look at the distortion on the UWA lenses before deciding. I have the Sony 11-18mm and very happy with the lens.

18mm is wide enough...

if you really want something ultra wide, then you are sure to give on the zoom side...

ofcourse it won't be able to zoom as far as ur kit lens.. if thats what ur concerned about..

hi, it is decent.

cost wise, please call the shops.

theoretically, the answer to your question about zooming is "yes", cos 12-24 is effectively a 2x zoom, whereas 18-55 is >2x zoom.

but zoom ratio is an artifical, boh liao concept conceived by the wonderful camera companies of today to put some arbitrary number to wow consumers who don't know any better.

what you should be concerned about is whether the lens has the perspective that you wnat, and that has to do with field of view, and that in turn, depends on the focal length of the lens.