Help - Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mervin

Dec 26, 2004
Simei
Greetings all !

My wife's friend is getting married and she wants me to take pictures on her big day.

Problem - I have never taken any people pics before and don't know where to start !!!!

What lens to use, my shortness lens is a 70-200 f2.8 !

ANy tips in settings, type of lens, where to point my flash.....etc will be very much appreciated !

My present gear is my Canon 20D + 580 flash though I was thinking of buying a 17-40 lens (good reason to buy without me wife jumping ! hahahaha !!)

Thanks a million !

mervin said:
Greetings all !

My wife's friend is getting married and she wants me to take pictures on her big day.

Problem - I have never taken any people pics before and don't know where to start !!!!

ANy tips in settings, type of lens, where to point my flash.....etc will be very much appreciated !

My present gear is my Canon 20D + 580 flash though I was thinking of buying a 17-40 lens (good reason to buy without me wife jumping ! hahahaha !!)

Thanks a million !

Have you agreed to take it up? Wow. For someone who had never taken people pics, this is quite a huge challenge!
There are quite a number of threads that would answer your question when it comes to what to look out for, do a search on weddings. For lens, 17-40, 16-35, 24-70 are good. Though 24-70 may not be wide enough for some situations on a 20D. You also need to be confident of fielding the 580EX for people photography in terms of WB, exposure, ISO, bounce/no-bounce/diffusion.

Best of luck!

mervin said:
Greetings all !
Good morning to you too.

mervin said:

Congrats to her, and good luck to you.

mervin said:
Some people think that you have a expensive lens sure know how to take great pictures, don't you know how to take great pictures?

mervin said:
This is the fun part, you can do a search, almost every month have a few theards discuss about how to shoot weddings.

mervin said:
You are not alone, many people find this as a excuse to buy new equitment. btw, 17~40 is good for wedding.

mervin said:
Thanks a million !
Sorry, nothing much which I can offer. Have a good day to you.:)

I think the 17-40 will be good. Unless you're feeling like you wanna burn some extra cash, then go for the 16-35... ;)

My suggestion is to get another photographer experienced in wedding photography to join you in that day.

I did wedding once for someone. I swear I will never do one again! I have absolutely no idea what to photograph! But at least she had a professional for the day.

You might find that your friend may not remain a friend if you messed up the photos!

mervin said:
Greetings all !

Thanks a million !
wait..she wants you to take pictures..or she wants you as the official photographer?:confused:

student said:
My suggestion is to get another photographer experienced in wedding photography to join you in that day.

I did wedding once for someone. I swear I will never do one again! I have absolutely no idea what to photograph! But at least she had a professional for the day.

You might find that your friend may not remain a friend if you messed up the photos!
Very hard to turn down the request if it is from your relative and friends, sometime I wondering what are the main reasons wedding couple asking people around them to help in photograph the event, but one thing for sure if you charge money for you photography service, (don't bother are you good at wedding photography or not) no one will ask you for help out in wedding day photography again.

Good luck dude.. nothing to be worried about.. you have wonderful gear.. Just add a wide angle lens... 17-40 is good.. Maybe 10-22mm if you can get so that you will be able to take pictures of large groups..

maybe after this assignment, you will become a wedding photog..

Just one tip.. Don't take too many pictures of beautiful women, specially those who are not close to the bride or you wife.. otherwise you might loose all your photography gear and will never get her permission to use a camera again..

actually, I think a Kit Lens will do just fine...just dont shoot too much at 55mm end..at 18-35mm..its quite sharp at f5.6.flash will compensate...

Hahahaha !!!
I really don't know how I got myself into this, the only thing I shoot are birds (and I'm not even good at that !) and my most preferred lens is my 500f4.

The bride is a really close friend of my wife who were from the same "kampong" in LIM CHU KANG.

The groom is a very nice guy who help me prepare for my promotion interview which I managed to clear.

What can I say when he said that he really needs my help.......

Anyway thanks for all the input and let me try to talk myself out of this....

Wish me luck !

Thanks again

cheers

mervin said:
Hahahaha !!!
I really don't know how I got myself into this, the only thing I shoot are birds (and I'm not even good at that !) and my most preferred lens is my 500f4.

The bride is a really close friend of my wife who were from the same "kampong" in LIM CHU KANG.

The groom is a very nice guy who help me prepare for my promotion interview which I managed to clear.

What can I say when he said that he really needs my help.......

Anyway thanks for all the input and let me try to talk myself out of this....

Wish me luck !

Thanks again

cheers
You may find some talented photographers here to shoot the wedding and can consider sponsor some expenses for the couple since there are close to you and ever help you.

On that day, you may just wish to enjoy the event as a guest or take out camera to snap a few shots without any stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.