Help: Need advice on studio setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIXX

Jan 24, 2004
:dunno: I need some advices on the type of basic essentials that will be needed to set up a studio before I have a headstart to do my research. Mainly on the lightings. Lets say budgeting at $1000 - $2000. The whole setup should be flexible in usage and multi-tasking.

What should I get first with my budget and what can I get with my budget?

Thanks.... :dunno:

it depends on what you will be shooting mainly.

items you need/may need:
light(s)
light stands
softbox
reflectors
other lights accessories (not cheap)
backdrop(s), 1.5m or 3m
backdrop setup kit (auto pole or light stands)
extendable multi-plug
light meter
stands, clamps, poles, etc

seriously speaking, a budget of $2k is not enough if you are going for 2 lights setup (assuming 500W and above). esp if you are going to buy studio lights accessories, which will cost you a bomb. (eg. standard reflector $80, softbox $200-$800, etc)

fyi, i spent around $2800 for a 2 x 600W lights (2nd hand) setup with 1 x 1.5m backdrop only, incl all accessories and props, etc.

chyeo said:
seriously speaking, a budget of $2k is not enough if you are going for 2 lights setup (assuming 500W and above). esp if you are going to buy studio lights accessories, which will cost you a bomb. (eg. standard reflector $80, softbox $200-$800, etc)

fyi, i spent around $2800 for a 2 x 600W lights (2nd hand) setup with 1 x 1.5m backdrop only, incl all accessories and props, etc.

chyeo, is 2x600W a bit overkill for a home studio (say, HDB living room)? Have you any experience or comments on the Elinchrome 500 kit?

sfhuang said:
chyeo, is 2x600W a bit overkill for a home studio (say, HDB living room)? Have you any experience or comments on the Elinchrome 500 kit?

600W not overkill if you are into product shooting... even require 1000W or more in some cases.

i have been handling elinchrom 500W lights (about 3 of them) for quite some time. consistent results, nice colour temp (digital doesnt matter). worth buying.

Hi,

chyeo is right about the light power if you want to do product shoot at home. You need lots of power to shoot product.

For home HDB, the 500w lights is just nice if you shoot family, portraiture at home.

anyway, pixx if you want you should go to ruby photo and ask them to help you... they sell bowens which are cheaper (but not as consistent) and they have catalogues of all kinds of funny equipment you might need (and price list also)

chyeo said:
anyway, pixx if you want you should go to ruby photo and ask them to help you... they sell bowens which are cheaper (but not as consistent) and they have catalogues of all kinds of funny equipment you might need (and price list also)

Thanks chyeo, For a start, a pair of 500W lighting with reflectors and a backdrop should be sufficient right?? What will this roughly amount to?

This should not take up a lot of space right?

Thanks for sharing. :)

PIXX said:
Thanks chyeo, For a start, a pair of 500W lighting with reflectors and a backdrop should be sufficient right?? What will this roughly amount to?

This should not take up a lot of space right?

Thanks for sharing. :)

depends on whether you buying new or 2nd hand. here are some rough guides

bowens espirit 500w x 2
impact light stands x 2
60x60 softbox x 1
60x90 softbox x 1
2 standard reflectors (not disc reflectors) [not sure bout this though]
sync cord
power cables
$2100 from ruby photo

elinchrom classic 500w x 2
standard reflector x 1
silver umbrella x 1
umbrella reflector x 1
white umbrella x 2
manfrotto light stands x 2
$2000 from cathay photo

elinchrom style 600w x 2 [i using this]
standard reflectors x 2
snoot x 1
snoot grid x 1
60x60 softbox x 1
manfrotto light stands x 2
white umbrellas x 2
silver umbrella x 1
$2600 from cathay photo

backdrop get from ruby photo
3m plain paper ~$90
1.5m plain paper ~$50
special design papers a bit more ex, +$10-$40 more
cloth ones vary

mint 2nd hand [light tube not heavily used] should be ard 75% of retail price

when kept in carrier bag or case, wont take up a lot of space

when opened up, light stand base opens to ard 1 metre wide

You can visit my studio if any of you guys like I can brief you guys on my experince in setting up a studio and give tips too

basically here are some product reviews on those I have

Redwing soft box = quality not so good used abt 1 year tearing already :cry:

Bowens lights so far so good affordable n realiable (so far)

Impact light stands those $85 with spring mech is ok, those with out 1 yr spoil liaos

(pls note I use my eqpt daily)

Backdrops

CP selling $95 ea (9feet)

Ruby now $100 ea (9feet) ( somemore I support them so long liaos (I bought 8 so far ... ...)

WARNING !

Studio is fun but slowly you'll spend more then 20-30k (or more) upgrading your stuff its like cameras/lens collection will never finish/complete

Brett said:
You can visit my studio if any of you guys like I can brief you guys on my experince in setting up a studio and give tips too

basically here are some product reviews on those I have

Redwing soft box = quality not so good used abt 1 year tearing already :cry:

Bowens lights so far so good affordable n realiable (so far)

Impact light stands those $85 with spring mech is ok, those with out 1 yr spoil liaos

(pls note I use my eqpt daily)

Backdrops

CP selling $95 ea (9feet)

Ruby now $100 ea (9feet) ( somemore I support them so long liaos (I bought 8 so far ... ...)

WARNING !

Studio is fun but slowly you'll spend more then 20-30k (or more) upgrading your stuff its like cameras/lens collection will never finish/complete

Thanks Brett. That's very kind of you. Would like to get pointers from you and see your studio when my schedule is not so tight. Btw, is yours a home based or commercial studio? Do you rent it out? :bigeyes:

PIXX said:
Thanks Brett. That's very kind of you. Would like to get pointers from you and see your studio when my schedule is not so tight. Btw, is yours a home based or commercial studio? Do you rent it out? :bigeyes:

Brett have a commerical studio in North Bridge Road ;).......

blurblock said:
Brett have a commerical studio in North Bridge Road ;).......

It is along South Bridge Road, near the Indian temple.

I started from a home based studio I painted my walls black n stuf like that freeked out my parents LoL

Now I run a humble commercial studio in south bridge rd doing simple portraits and some fashion photography ~

Its not that expensive, but as you progress (skill wise) you'll find its 50% skill/concepts 50% amt of lights/eqpt you have/need

yea let me know if you'd like to visit - 97858606 or any one else for that matter,

I do rent it out for abt $30-40/hr depending on weekday/weekend drop me a line we'll talk further from there

Status
Not open for further replies.