Help my UV Filter is stuck!

Daevo

Jul 30, 2013
Singapore
Good Day all,

My UV filter is somehow stuck to my lens, I don't rmb hitting my lens or what, but somehow one side of the filter got sinked into the screw and no matter how hard i unscrew it cant move.. Does anyone have any tips? or any recommended camera repair shop i can go to? Thanks!

use a rubber band to wrap around the filter for extra grip when u try to take it out then try to find something that give u a good grip on the lens.

if nothing else works, u might have to sent it to a shop to cut the filter ring.
either camera hospital or any of the camera repair shops near to funan

use a rubber band to wrap around the filter for extra grip when u try to take it out then try to find something that give u a good grip on the lens.

that only works if the filter is mildly stuck. if it's really tight, you risk making things worse -- when you squeeze on the outside of the rim with your fingers, the pressure is uneven, and you risk deforming the filter and getting it stuck even worse.
A flat grippy rubber mat on top of the filter, then palm down on the mat, press down lightly to get grip and twist. The pressure is more even. Some place the mat on the table, and press the lens down on it. There is still the potential to do damage of course. Or use one of the many other solutions listed in Catchlight's links -- this is a pretty common problem.

If it is not too urgent, you can try to live with it till the camera "hospitals" are open, or the service service centres are open.

As you may be new to trouble shooting the equipment, what worries if you may incidentally damage the focusing gear. When you attempt to wrench out the filter, pls ensure that you switch the lens to M mode and not A mode, this is very important. The damage you can incidentally make on the focusing gear can set you back quite a bit when send for repair.

I encountered this issue once, and the remedy is NOT strength. In the end, someone told me to try to unscrew it normally with your normal strength and it miraculously worked. Before that I was trying with all my might for hours -.-

I've encountered this a couple of times when I go shooting in the early mornings. The tightness of the uv filter appears to be quite random. But revisiting primary school science, has led me to question of just a little bit of heat ( just by holding on to the metallic filter frame with warm hands) would do the trick. Shall try and report if successful the next time it happens.

Cheers.

Or you could just put a bit of lubricant on the threads to prevent binding? Perhaps a little graphite -- a pencil should work well

Hi TS

After all the suggestions and links, have you solved the "stuck filter" problem?