Help! My SB28 died!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanbloodbane

Mar 18, 2002
The SB28 simply refused to power up. Nope, definately not battery issue.

Any idea where could I get it serviced? Is it still Shriro?

Nikon Singapore is the place to go.

Nikon Singapore is at the same location as Shriro last time.

Thanks folks. The flash died after I used it on the S1 Pro. Hope its just a coincidence.

I thought you need a dx flash to be used on Nikon digital SLR? Not sure about S1Pro, but at least for D1/x/h...

S1 and the upcoming S2 wont be able to take advantage of the DX. But all Nikon DSLR supports it.

The S1 flash system is really primitive, gonna do manual setting even though I have paid 500+ (2 yrs back) for a SB28. *sigh*

Originally posted by cyanbloodbane
S1 and the upcoming S2 wont be able to take advantage of the DX. But all Nikon DSLR supports it.

The S1 flash system is really primitive, gonna do manual setting even though I have paid 500+ (2 yrs back) for a SB28. *sigh*

The S1 can support Non-TTL Auto and Standard TTL right? That's what I gather from the forums.

By the way, check check check the inside of the battery compartment. My SB28 died one fine day. When I sent to Nikon Service Centre, they said there's corrosion inside. When I looked inside the battery compartment, there's something wet inside. My rechargeables apparently has leaked inside.

PCB replacement cost me $260. ouch. Bad bad bad, coz I have a wedding coming up in 3 weeks when the flash is with Nikon. And it's near the Christmas holidays.

When it came back, I used it once and suffered hotshoe breakage. And I had a wedding to do the next day. Luckily my friend whom I am shooting had a SB25. Phew!

Always have backup equipment. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

The S1 can support Non-TTL Auto and Standard TTL right? That's what I gather from the forums.

It does but to got to manual zoom the SB28.

What irk me most is that while fill flash with F90x (w MF26) is a breeze, I find it tough with the S1. More often than not, the meter is out and I need to do a -2 ev.

Will be bringing the S1 for a check up soon. Any S1 user with similar complaints?

By the way, check check check the inside of the battery compartment. My SB28 died one fine day. When I sent to Nikon Service Centre, they said there's corrosion inside. When I looked inside the battery compartment, there's something wet inside. My rechargeables apparently has leaked inside.

PCB replacement cost me $260. ouch. Bad bad bad, coz I have a wedding coming up in 3 weeks when the flash is with Nikon. And it's near the Christmas holidays.

Dont look like battery leak to me. $260 for a replacement is preposterous! Hope mine will cost less. How long did the repair take?

When it came back, I used it once and suffered hotshoe breakage. And I had a wedding to do the next day. Luckily my friend whom I am shooting had a SB25. Phew!

Always have backup equipment. :)

Pray that I have better luck. Will be flying off to NZ on the 27th, hopfully with my trusty SB28.

Originally posted by cyanbloodbane

It does but to got to manual zoom the SB28.

What irk me most is that while fill flash with F90x (w MF26) is a breeze, I find it tough with the S1. More often than not, the meter is out and I need to do a -2 ev.

Will be bringing the S1 for a check up soon. Any S1 user with similar complaints?

Dont look like battery leak to me. $260 for a replacement is preposterous! Hope mine will cost less. How long did the repair take?

Pray that I have better luck. Will be flying off to NZ on the 27th, hopfully with my trusty SB28.

The replacement took like 2 weeks. Had to rush them a little coz of the urgency. Apparently, this kind of corrosion is very common, as is hotshoe breakage. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by rayman
Yo CK,

Same topic on different forums :)

Say, you won't be using GP batts by chance, would you? Cos that's what I swear by too... thanx :)

I try to. :p I just wished the battery manufacturers would make batteries that don't leak. :)

Regards
CK

Say, you won't be using GP batts by chance, would you? Cos that's what I swear by too... thanx :)
Hmm.. GP batts haven't given me much good experience. A whole batch of mine leaked... luckily, they weren't in any equipment at that time.

Damn............ Looks like I better rid my camera of my GPs this very moment................................................ Still nesting in there after a wet evening shoot

Anyone tried the Sony ones for sale at ~ $40 + charger at CP? Also 1600 and looks good. Charges faster too!

Damn............ Looks like I better rid my camera of my GPs this very moment................................................ Still nesting in there after a wet evening shoot

Anyone tried the Sony ones for sale at ~ $40 + charger at CP? Also 1600 and looks good. Charges faster too!

Fine print of that charger says "1 hour for 2 batteries at 85% charge". Something like that. So it's not really 1 hour, and definitely not 1 hour for 4 batteries.

I wonder whether the Rayovac has this limitation.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.