HELP! My Canon EOS30 hangs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameslhc

Feb 25, 2005
SINGAPORE
HI! Got a question; hope you guys can help...

My Canon EOS30 has been acting up for a while now.
I use it with a Canon EF Ultrasonic Lense 28-200mm with a BP-300 battery pack. Occasionally, I will also use the 420EX Speedlight.

Here's the problem - sometimes (i.e. I couldn't repeat it when I went to the Canon tech center) when I'm about to take a shot, the camera just goes dead and displays the low batt signal.

I hear half of the "full" camera click when this happens (the click in the click clack), but (from looking at the frame counter and the subsequent developed film) the film actually does not advance and neither is that frame exposed. I can only assume tthe mirror moves but the shutter doesn't actually open.

I have to physically "reset" the system by turning it off and switching it back on. Btw, when I do this, I hear the clack in the camera click.

Any ideas on why this is so?? It has started to happen more frequently now, to the point it's frustrating. :confused:

I brough it to the Canon service centerm but they couldn't figure out anything wrong with it.

Any ideas at all on this problem???
Pls help.

Thanks...
James.
9686-9998

I have used the eos 30 and now 30v.

I have never encountered such a prob.

Were ya batteries at full strength when ya prob occured?

Have u ever exposed ya camera to moisture ? If so, moisture can harm the electronic circuity. Just like our HP, prolonged dropping and prolong exposure to wet hands also will affect the electronics.

It could be your battery contacts, both in the battery pack and the boxy. Clean them and see, the problem should be solved. I've seen this happen once on my EOS-30.

jeff49er said:
I have used the eos 30 and now 30v.

I have never encountered such a prob.

Were ya batteries at full strength when ya prob occured?

Have u ever exposed ya camera to moisture ? If so, moisture can harm the electronic circuity. Just like our HP, prolonged dropping and prolong exposure to wet hands also will affect the electronics.

HI Jeff49er,
Well, it's never been dunked ;) but yeah on rare occasions, it has been exposed to damp weather conditions before. anything I can do to fix this problem? Canon can't seem to identify the problem even.

Batteries are at full strength - in fact, when i 'reset' it by turning on and off, the battery indicator shows full strength again.

HI Sriram,
when you say clean the contacts, how do you do that? alcohol swabs?

sriram said:
It could be your battery contacts, both in the battery pack and the boxy. Clean them and see, the problem should be solved. I've seen this happen once on my EOS-30.

Hey there! I played around with it again, and now i CAN reproduce the problem!!!

It only hangs when i zoom my lens within the range of 70mm - 135mm markings on my 28-200mm zoom lens.

Any ideas?

this is just a possibility
maybe it's the lens and not the camera?

I've had a similar problem with my 50mm 1.8
I take a picture and the camera sort of hangs.
the apeture blades close and are stuck in position
happens with both my film and digital slr
no time to take the lens to canon service centre and it doesn't really bother me that much because i use the 50 for still life more than anything.

try using another lens and see if anything similar happens.

Yes battery contact. It was also a complain on EOS50 previously and later they realise 1 or 2 famous battery (one being energiser) is alittle too short and this happen after awhile. Sounds like the same causes for EOS30.

You can fit it by using a pincer to slightly bend the contact higher or if not pad some paper and the end of battery to make it tighter.

No harm trying to see whether it works.

send it in for servicing.

user111 said:
send it in for servicing.

Yes, I did send it for servicing.
And Canon said there was nothing wrong abt it. They couldn't detect the problem. :confused:

In fact, thanks guys, from the responses here so far, I have got a better picture of what the problem may be...

Anyone else had such a problem?

see if you experience the same problem without the BP300...my EOS50E used to have that problem with the BP50....

GitS said:
see if you experience the same problem without the BP300...my EOS50E used to have that problem with the BP50....

YUpz, still does - tried not using teh BP300; and use good 'ol CR123 batt during the singapore dance masters last nite...

it hung often enough that i had to grind my teeth! :rolleyes:

thanks, tho... :)

send it back to Canon centre and show them the problem on the spot. Ask them dun use their test lens ...

My EOS30 hang before too when mount to certain lenses. After few test with various lenses, the concusion that the camera will hang when I mount plastic made mount lens. Metal mount no problem. Send the camera for service, the service man cleaned the contact and its ok after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.