Help! Metering Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
I dunno why this happened. Today took out cam to take some shots. I use a Nikon D40

I set to P mode and it was like this:
tndsc0139dy9.jpg

so dark, looks underexposed

But if i set to Auto Mode it is like this:
tndsc0140na9.jpg

Much better! Any1 knows why?

I am going on holiday this Thurs and am afraid to use P mode now?

does it have anything to do with using spot, center-weighted or matrix metering mode?

I dunno why this happened. Today took out cam to take some shots. I use a Nikon D40

I set to P mode and it was like this:
tndsc0139dy9.jpg

so dark, looks underexposed

But if i set to Auto Mode it is like this:
tndsc0140na9.jpg

Much better! Any1 knows why?

I am going on holiday this Thurs and am afraid to use P mode now?

does it have anything to do with using spot, center-weighted or matrix metering mode?

wats ur metering mode? i suspect u r on spot metering..

Looking at the EXIF data, yes. Confirmed the 1st photo on Spot Metering. When you use AUTO, it will over-ride and goes into Metric Metering.

Matrix Metering:

Center weighted:

Spot:

Auto:

Seems like it's fine if it's matrix metering? So is it recommended to leave it at matrix mode all the time? After all, Auto uses Matrix metering also right?

From your initial post, the 2 pics are framed differently. It shows dat you are not using a tripod. :think:

From diz, I deduce itz not due to the metering or mode you are using. Itz due to the point of focus. ;)

From your initial post, the 2 pics are framed differently. It shows dat you are not using a tripod. :think:

From diz, I deduce itz not due to the metering or mode you are using. Itz due to the point of focus. ;)

but for both pics, in fact all the pics here, i focussed on the street sign all the time..

Perhaps you wud want to use a tripod and focus at a different object with a larger surface area... :dunno:

Also ensure the focus point used is the one dat is in the middle. IIRC, these focusing points will take the nearest subject in some modes... :dunno:

All has it's uses.

Matrix is the most advanced as it breaks up area taken into sections, evaluates them and give a meter reading according to the light feedback.

Center weighted takes the center of the area taken into consideration, with falling sensivitity as it moves to the edges of the frame.

Spot metering takes the light reading from a spot on the center of the area taken.

All corrects the reading to 18% grey. Spot is usually used when the area has many light sources and during hard to meter situations. Matrix (known to Canon fans as Evaluative Metering) metering is good for general shots. I don't use nor see the point of center weighted metering as Matrix metering has replaced it as my main metering pattern.

Samuel

All has it's uses.

Matrix is the most advanced as it breaks up area taken into sections, evaluates them and give a meter reading according to the light feedback.

Center weighted takes the center of the area taken into consideration, with falling sensivitity as it moves to the edges of the frame.

Spot metering takes the light reading from a spot on the center of the area taken.

All corrects the reading to 18% grey. Spot is usually used when the area has many light sources and during hard to meter situations. Matrix (known to Canon fans as Evaluative Metering) metering is good for general shots. I don't use nor see the point of center weighted metering as Matrix metering has replaced it as my main metering pattern.

Samuel

thanks a lot for your advice..

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.