help - medium format film back opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkkang

Jan 6, 2007
Punggol 21
I am using mamiya 645 SUPER.

I accidentally open the film back with a roll of film already loaded inside.

Can I still use the rest of the un-exposed film ? Can I just forward or advance 2 shots of the film and still continue to use the rest of the unexposed portion ?

appreciated ,

Billy

It depends on the level of accidental exposure. In bright sunlight or just a normal lit room.
Best bet is to advance 3 frames and continue using.
You'll have to live with the light effects on the sides for those exposed shots...
MF is 16 frames - so if you're near the end might as well just wind it up, bag it and use a fresh roll.

how much does a roll of 120 costs nowadays?
how much is your time worth?

i'd say just load a fresh roll and shoot with confidence

It depends on the level of accidental exposure. In bright sunlight or just a normal lit room.
Best bet is to advance 3 frames and continue using.
You'll have to live with the light effects on the sides for those exposed shots...
MF is 16 frames - so if you're near the end might as well just wind it up, bag it and use a fresh roll.

:bsmilie:

you are quite right... I was shooting until the 2nd shot when my camera suddenly refuse to trigger. I check here and there , and seems like all is well. I have to open the film back to ensure that the film was loaded properly...

If I advance 3 shots, I left with 10 shots only... :bsmilie:..haha...

thanks,
Billy

how much does a roll of 120 costs nowadays?
how much is your time worth?

i'd say just load a fresh roll and shoot with confidence

quite true... but, Hang Zeng Pai brother... must save a bit :bsmilie:

quite true... but, Hang Zeng Pai brother... must save a bit :bsmilie:

if after you spend time shooting and then send for developing only to find all your images foggy then how?

in the end you will be spending more time and money than you are saving

developing cost, transport cost, man hour cost, opportunity costs

it is up to you, good luck

You can't closed it back n forward é film, é frame counter wil b reset once open, everything wil mess up, unless u take é film out reroll it like a new roll in darkroom, than reload into camera back n fast forward.

You can't closed it back n forward é film, é frame counter wil b reset once open, everything wil mess up, unless u take é film out reroll it like a new roll in darkroom, than reload into camera back n fast forward.

:bigeyes: . Yes, very true... the counter is reset after back is opened. good point :thumbsup:

thank you all for your valuable time spend here.

cheers,
Billy

Bro, trash the roll and use a new one, unless you wanna risk getting possible Uber Lomo SFX! :bsmilie:

This is what I got when I accidently opened my Leica (35mm, not MF) under bright sunlight.

3740661417_1593172bf1.jpg

3740661109_4b59f94164.jpg

3740661711_d896a179c4.jpg

Last 6 frames were gone. The rest had rays of light going down hahaha.

Last edited:
Bro, trash the roll and use a new one, unless you wanna risk getting possible Uber Lomo SFX! :bsmilie:

thanks for the advice bro :)

This is what I got when I accidently opened my Leica (35mm, not MF) under bright sunlight.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2541/3740661417_1593172bf1.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/3740661109_4b59f94164.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2630/3740661711_d896a179c4.jpg

wah... quite seriously damaged indeed...

thanks for the advice, appreciated.

with lots of thanks.
Billy

My pleasure, Sir.

thanks for the advice bro :)

wah... quite seriously damaged indeed...

thanks for the advice, appreciated.

with lots of thanks.
Billy

oh hang on.....is 120 film use so rare now that we forget what it looks like or how this format is ?ha hah a :)

regular 35mm film is contained in a sealed film container and accidentally opening camera will affect the exposed portion of the film leaving the balance inside canister unexposed (normally 2 frames fwd is sufficient to continue shooting) and the exposed images very likely suffering from light leak streaks

120 film however has always come with light-leak proof paper backing along the whole roll and the open end is loaded onto a take up spool.....

So when camera back accidentally opened normally the last 2 exposed images will be affected .... the rest of the roll should be ok to use.... just fwd 2 frames (u are using 645 so can afford it... if you're shooting in 690 then take Ortega's advise and just keep old roll and reload a fresh roll)... and the already previously exposed images should be safe and sound except for the last 1-2 exposed images that have not been rolled into the take-up spool yet

less than 10 serious years into digital and we have forgotten the old ways LOL ! :)

remember your 50 year old 6x6 or 690 cameras with little red tinted windows on the back itself to count the number printed on the backing to tell u which exposure you are at ???? :)

Last edited:
oh hang on.....is 120 film use so rare now that we forget what it looks like or how this format is ?ha hah a :)

regular 35mm film is contained in a sealed film container and accidentally opening camera will affect the exposed portion of the film leaving the balance inside canister unexposed (normally 2 frames fwd is sufficient to continue shooting) and the exposed images very likely suffering from light leak streaks

120 film however has always come with light-leak proof paper backing along the whole roll and the open end is loaded onto a take up spool.....

So when camera back accidentally opened normally the last 2 exposed images will be affected .... the rest of the roll should be ok to use.... just fwd 2 frames (u are using 645 so can afford it... if you're shooting in 690 then take Ortega's advise and just keep old roll and reload a fresh roll)... and the already previously exposed images should be safe and sound except for the last 1-2 exposed images that have not been rolled into the take-up spool yet

less than 10 serious years into digital and we have forgotten the old ways LOL ! :)

remember your 50 year old 6x6 or 690 cameras with little red tinted windows on the back itself to count the number printed on the backing to tell u which exposure you are at ???? :)

:bigeyes: my jaw cannot close for 30secs after reading this....

you're the man :thumbsup:

I had the intention to close this thread few hours ago, lucky I didn't...

OK.. I will try to continue shoot the rest of the slides and then process them ( take some risk ). After that, I will post them here for all the gentleman here to see....

thank you all once again to answer my query.
Billy

So its that different... never used MF before.

Apologies.

I'm doubt you can do that, once the film back is open, frame counter is reset, and when you close the film back, the camera will take that you have just load in a new roll of film, so you need to wind the level to forward the film til frame counter shows 1, and you can't shoot before frame counter reach the first frame.

so if you are at mid roll just now, you already coming almost to the end of roll by the time when frame counter reach 1.

FYI, if you accidentally open a loaded 120 film (interchangeable) back, it will affect about two frames before and two frames after, the rest of the roll are protracted by the backing paper.

Yoricko, we all learn and then relearn ha ha ha!!! I think I have forgotten how to load and unload 120film now LOL ! :)

Its very good to see that film (both 35mm and 120 ) is still being used by folks !!

Anyone want to guess why MF film is also called 120 film ? Dont google if u dont know..... make a guess!

I'm doubt you can do that, once the film back is open, frame counter is reset, and when you close the film back, the camera will take that you have just load in a new roll of film, so you need to wind the level to forward the film til frame counter shows 1, and you can't shoot before frame counter reach the first frame.

so if you are at mid roll just now, you already coming almost to the end of roll by the time when frame counter reach 1.

FYI, if you accidentally open a loaded 120 film (interchangeable) back, it will affect about two frames before and two frames after, the rest of the roll are protracted by the backing paper.

What u said bro is also very true.... my old Fuji 690 is like that too.... however in some cameras there are ways .... normally its a lock/trigger/jig somewhere to advance the lever and move shutter count from '0' or '.' to '1' (or '3' to '4' etc etc) without forwarding the take up spool while YET still loading the shutter release .... for the TS's camera, I am not familiar with its technical features so cannot comment (check your user manual) .... some are as simple as unlock the take up spool .... others have more complicated mechanisms or a plain button somewhere.

The reasons are not just because there were also many who accidentally opened their camera backs....... folks then also wanted multiple exposure images...... and you still needed to load the shutter release each time for that 2nd or 3rd or 4th etc exposure

no photoshop then ha ha !!

Last edited:
Yoricko, we all learn and then relearn ha ha ha!!! I think I have forgotten how to load and unload 120film now LOL ! :)

Its very good to see that film (both 35mm and 120 ) is still being used by folks !!

Anyone want to guess why MF film is also called 120 film ? Dont google if u dont know..... make a guess!

12 shots? 22 for 220.

Anyways no MF for me, I'm taking the leap to LF instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.