help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alankuik

Jan 26, 2004
Toa Payoh
www.picturesky.com
I can't decide on which camera to buy.

budget is ard $600, i dun want a point and shoot.
size is not an issue.

Maybe something like Finepix 5500 / Lumix Fz4 / fz 5.
4mp would suffice.

but i would prefer AA batteries instead of rechargeable li-on packs.
My previous cam is a A40, and looking at the problems of A70 users and their 'change battery pack' syndrome, i lost some confidence in powershot.
p.s. my A40 suffers from the same problem too.

I would like to have enough manual settings to play and hone my inexistence photography skills...

would any kind soul give some suggestions and street pricing?
:angel:

alan get a fz5 lah :sticktong i go shopping with ya :bsmilie:

Lester!! nice to see ya here.. wads wrong wif ur previous 5500?
i like the feel of FZ5, but i can't convince myself i dun need AA batteries.

What about holiday trips? i dun wanna shoot halfway and run out of juice.

hiya ;) Ermz there nothing wrong with my previous 5500...I like the feel of it after trying a couple of prosumer cameras and its a great cam with enough manual controls but it was not fast enough and I need the higher ISO levels hence got a DSLR instead :)

However that was before the introduction of the fz5 :think: as its about the same price as the 5500, I would go for the OIS, 12x zoom and cheaper SD card it uses but again that's me

You have a very tight budget. Even without going into a point and shoot, you will be hard pressed. DSLR ain't cheap and cheap ain't good. May I just ask how serious you will be? If you are a weekend and holiday shooter, then a P & S DigiCam is not a bad way to go, even with 2 or 3 Mpix would be enough. That would give you more options as to where you want to go.

Well, that's just my opinion

Just got a quote for the following cameras.
maybe u guys can give some comments?

Fuji S5500 - $460
KM Z20 - $498 (+128mb card + bag)
FZ5 - $599 (saw at harvey norman)

alankuik said:
Just got a quote for the following cameras.
maybe u guys can give some comments?

Fuji S5500 - $460
KM Z20 - $498 (+128mb card + bag)
FZ5 - $599 (saw at harvey norman)

alsn, where did u see the price of $599? was told that it was a HN price error. if it is still $599, that means not an error anymore?

danlim said:
alsn, where did u see the price of $599? was told that it was a HN price error. if it is still $599, that means not an error anymore?
i saw $599 at HN (Funan IT Mall). the guys were really unfrenly and didn't even bother to ask me though i stood there gazing for 5 minutes. They were busying convincing this Ang moh guy. i.e. i jsut saw the price there, didn't get to ask them whether it's error or not.

Some updates....

AP at Sim lim tells me S5500 is a problematic camera, going to discontinue soon and that they only have "shui huo" left... grey stocks.. meaning smuggled in ar? (confused) how can someone so widely proclaim that they have "shui huo" ???

Went to John 3:16 (read somewhere in CS they're one of the recommended shops), However, they told me S5500 is very old and also very problematic. not good, persuaded me to get a Dimage Z2.

From my little readings at dPreview, it seems that the Z2 is announced in Jan 04 while the s5500 is in July 04. Does that make the s5500 a newer model?

still torn in between the choices and can't make a decision.

hi guys!

thanks for all the help.
got my s5500 at 480 @ john 3:16.

S2 IS @ 845 @ AP , Funan.

time to go play with my new toy!

alan great for ya~! :bsmilie: so when you wanna go for a walkaround? ;p PM me.

btw grey sets are still original products just that they do not have singapore warranty and are meant for export~ some shops give shop warranty for grey sets hence you can get back to them if there are any problems. still a great deal if you can find it at a reputable shop like TCW

alankuik said:
Some updates....

AP at Sim lim tells me S5500 is a problematic camera, going to discontinue soon and that they only have "shui huo" left... grey stocks.. meaning smuggled in ar? (confused) how can someone so widely proclaim that they have "shui huo" ???

Went to John 3:16 (read somewhere in CS they're one of the recommended shops), However, they told me S5500 is very old and also very problematic. not good, persuaded me to get a Dimage Z2.

From my little readings at dPreview, it seems that the Z2 is announced in Jan 04 while the s5500 is in July 04. Does that make the s5500 a newer model?

I was using the Z2 before I upgraded to the Pana FZ10. The Z2 is a pretty good camera picture wise. The colour saturation you get from the pics are really great. Technically, I had some problems with the auto focusing in relatively bright scenes at full zoom and also the battery compartment seems a little fragile to me. I had to have the entire hand grip replaced (free of charge as still under warranty) because the tiny lugs keeping the door closed broke, though they told me mine was the first incident they had encountered. Also there isn't AS for this camera. Maybe you might like to take a look at the KM Z3 the battery compartment certainly looks more robust (which makes me suspect the Z2 really had this fault that required improvement) and there is AS. I think the zoom range has improved as well.
Or you can also look for a second hand FZ10 (alot of guys in here letting go at quite reasonable prices) A very good camera with a great fixed F2.8 lens.
Just my 1 cent worth. :)

alankuik said:
Some updates....

Er...I just got my S5500 from Alan Photos at $460 before tax...after tax and plus 256 XD card is $540.
About the shui huo thing...and the no warranty because of export set...how come I got a warranty card to be posted to
Fuji Photofilm Pte Ltd
Service Centre
10 Industrial Road
Fujifilm Building
Singapore 536201

Er...I got got coned by them anot har? Cos I was supposed to get the S7000 and they say no stock...even if got stock come its just export set with no warranty....but he never mention for the S5500 leh...

Pls advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.