Help me to find a monopod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman2000

Dec 10, 2008
Pasir Ris
Hi guys. I am currently looking around for a monopod. Considering the Slik Monopod 350 EX. Open to alternatives as well. Preferably should come with a head and be able to support 4kilos max. Budget is 80. Thanks.

try cathay photo at peninsula.

Hi guys. I am currently looking around for a monopod. Considering the Slik Monopod 350 EX. Open to alternatives as well. Preferably should come with a head and be able to support 4kilos max. Budget is 80. Thanks.
Hey Cartman2000, what's your main purpose in looking for a monopod? Travel? Or just lug along easier?
I am asking because I'm not sure yet.. If I were to buy a tripod I would most likely invest in a good one. Just that right now I am not ready for it yet. But a monopod.. well, that's another thing. So I just want your opinion here. Thanks in advance!

Hey no problem. I'm looking for a monopod because I might need the support at events that I use lenses such as the 70-200mm, or lenses that weigh over 1 kg in general. More comfortable with a support lol. I would not use a tripod in this case as it prohibits movement when I want to change my position for different angles.

However, I do use a tripod when I want to shoot night scenes and products. For long exposures, tripod is a definite must.

Yes, I agree.
I think travelling, if I were to do a lot of shots on the go, the monopod would be useful.
How heavy would this SLIK Monopod 350X be?
And is it around $80 as you estimated, brand new?

To be honest, i have no idea how much it costs. Will check asap. Weighs 1 kilo and will hold 4

Last edited:
I use a Manfrotto 680B 4 section monopod + 234RC tilt head. Cost S$100 + S$55 from Cathay Photo. Helped lots during my 9 hour shoot at the zoo. Built really tough and performs really well.

I use a Manfrotto 680B 4 section monopod + 234RC tilt head. Cost S$100 + S$55 from Cathay Photo. Helped lots during my 9 hour shoot at the zoo. Built really tough and performs really well.

Hi Headshotzx, now that sounds interesting. Allow me to ask:
1. This Manfrotto 680B - how heavy is it, eoughly, with the head? And how short is its length when it's completely minimized?
2. 234RC tilt head - what's this? Why is it good?
Thanks for your answer.

Hi Headshotzx, now that sounds interesting. Allow me to ask:
1. This Manfrotto 680B - how heavy is it, eoughly, with the head? And how short is its length when it's completely minimized?
2. 234RC tilt head - what's this? Why is it good?
Thanks for your answer.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=manfrotto+680b&l=1 and click on the first link
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=manfrotto+234rc&l=1 and click on the first link

;)

The 234RC is a tilt head, not a ballhead. The way I use monopods will be the same way that Cartman2000 will use his: to support lenses with lens tripod rings. So portrait / landscape orientation is not a problem. Since the monopod can be easily panned i.e. left and right, that axis has no problem. So what other axis do you need? The vertical motion, of course, angling the setup up or down. That's where the tilt head comes into play.

Ballheads on monopods just don't make sense to me. First, you don't have a stable base because it's a monopod, not a tripod. So trying to rotate a ball on an unstable base with a heavy setup that isn't yours (TS doesn't own long or heavy lenses) is just asking for trouble. It's not going to help your photography.

Now, if you're using a monopod without lenses having tripod lens rings, then it's another matter. But then, my argument would be this: Why use a monopod with such a setup in the first place? Your setup won't be heavy, and it won't give you the stability that tripods will.

Cheers,
Zexun

Last edited:
Zexun,
Great! Thank you very much for the links and your explanation. Visited the links and seen the specs and reviews.

just bought exactly the same equipments as you for S$150 from TK Foto..

intend to use it for Liverpool match on 26th July.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.