help me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
pie say lay, just as i was trying to rewind the negative in me canonet QL17 GIII, i think the film broke off from the canister. now the crank can rotate freely.

i have a changing bag. is it advisible to unload the film from the camera, into a black film container, the whole process done inside the changing bag. than pass the container to the shop?

No worries Dennis. I've done it many time before (albeit, not for the same reasons).

Go to the changing bag option, and if you want to be ultra Singaporean, do it in a darkened room under an additional cloak of a thick, dark coloured blanket.

Wash and dry your hand thoroughly (to prevent possible oil marks on the emulsion) and gently extract the film.

Roll the film ONLY handling by the edges all the while, and place in a black Kodak canister. Cap and seal with any kind of tape. Colour doesn't matter at this stage.

Apply a second sealing tape and clearly mark it 'OPEN ONLY IN DARK ROOM' and be sure to tell your processing lab that's it's unprotected film in there.

Hope this helps.

thanks Dream Merchant, handling by the edge of the film shouldn't be a problem, but i tried putting my hands inside the bag, my hands tends to sweat because it is stuffy inside the bag. will this be a potential danger? how bad will it be? thanks again.

If the bag is that small, and causes your hand to get swaety, the possible sweat droplets should be your main concern.

If the film you used in not rated above ASA1000 or IR, you probably could forget the changing bag entirely, and use multiple sheets of dark fabric/blanket, in a darkened room, with the lights in the adjoining room all shut off just to be safe. Use the blanket as the layer closest to the camera as the lint of most blankets often help to break up any possible scattered light rays (if any managed to get in in the first place).

In my early days of a poor-man's 'dark-room', I got away with much less light-tight security. Also, use your arms, body or whatever to bear down on the surrounding edges of the material as a further safety measure.

If you're still not confident of doing it, a possible option is bringing the unopened camera to the lab, tell them what happened and ask them to extract the film in a changing bag...but unless you have a very careful technician, don't expect them to apply extreme caution or delicacy handling your film....or camera. Chances are, they will not be responsible for any inadvertent damage either to film or cam.

All the best...and thanks, in the past for sharing with me your focusing screen modification instructions for DSLRs.

CHEERS!

Why not use latex or rubbyer gloves to remove the film since you are afraid that sweaty hands may stain the emulsion?

Hope you're able to salvage your film.

Ha ha ha, just "unloaded" the negative inside the changing bag without gloves because i dont have one:( . Pretend to be able to see through the bag while performing the operation knid of makes it feels easier:bigeyes: . May have accidently touch some part of the film:sweat: .

i have a changing bag. is it advisible to unload the film from the camera, into a black film container, the whole process done inside the changing bag. than pass the container to the shop?

You may go to any film printing shop they have dark room should be able to do it for you with a charge. :(

Last happen to me many many year back they charge FOC. :)

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.