Help me in my first step...

Status
Not open for further replies.
plastic said:
Welcome to humid Singapore.

I just inherited 2 lens from a friend, the 28-80 mm lens is deem useless due to the fungus , and the 300 mm zoom also useless as the rubber material has melted so badly the lens is stucked most of the time...........he never used a dry box

Cliffy said:
I'll just analyse the offers, and what I need to buy

E-1 + 14-45mm @ $900 + $400 (40-150mm lens) + $70 (CF Card) = $1370

E-1 @ $950 + $400 (40-150mm lens) + $70 (CF Card) + $200 (14-45mm lens, just a guess) = $1620

E-500 @ $800 + $400 (40-150mm lens) + $70 (CF Card) + $200 (14-45mm lens, just a guess) = $1470

I really makes no sense at all! $230 away from a totally new camera with tons of free stuff,lol.

I guess those offers would suit only one with his own equipment ready.

Of course I'll be happier with an E-1 (actually went to every shop at peninsula and funan last week to ask for E-1s, to no avail), but I am just too paranoid.

Hmmm.....does that mean you'll buy new?? :confused:

Cliffy said:
There isn't much of a rush, I am set on Olympus, and its only either the E-1 or the E-500. I don't want to ask more and post more just to drag my time. All you nice people have helped me enough, and its about time I make the desicion myself...:)

I started doing research about a month ago, and decided upon the E-500, it was only much later did the E-1 come in. I am not taking chances, if there is no assurance that the camera will work perfectly, I'd rather get a new one. Honestly, budget is not a problem, its just that I want to save, the more I save for one thing, the more I have for another.;)

I guess I'll just get the E-500, its very good value with two lenses, and it has tons of functions that'll prepare me for the DSLR world. I'll just have to sacrifice my rainy city walks, or just do them with my C750UZ(Olive), hehe.

All along,
my heart went for E-1
while my brain went for E-500

Yes.....E500....;)

Cliffy said:
Oooooo I just opened my dry cabinet (which as been closed for 3 years), the smell of the air inside is so wierd, lol.

Wow.....clearing it to hold your brand new E500?? ;)

I found a stash of my old banknotes(am a collecter), a binoculars, and a practially unused Cannon Ixus Z65 in my drybox. Better plug it in, before my notes start to mould...

Cliffy said:
...sacrifice my rainy city walks, or just do them with my C750UZ(Olive)...
I had no idea that is also weather proof. Just get a bigger weather proof bag, so you can carry both cams. If raining, use C750Z, if not, use E-500.

Cliffy said:
...my heart went for E-1
while my brain went for E-500
True, true brother. That was actually the way I was looking at it, three monts ago. Only, my brain said also 'I am old, but E-1 is like my grand ma in a DC world, while E-500 is so young, it is almost illegal to put my hands on'. So I went for E-500. Go for it Cliffy before E-500 becomes a grand ma too. ...or just wait for E-X.

PS. Nothing bad about grand mas, just that usually, one does not select grand ma as partner. They may be strong, beautiful, cleaver and so on, still...

If you use your pixs mainly for the Web, the E-1 is more than capable for any task.

Cliffy said:
Well, thanks for all the Advice.
I am now the proud owner of a brand new E-500!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Congrats! :thumbsup:

You got the dual lens kit? :)

Next up get the 11-22mm and the 50mm macro.. hehex -evil grinz-

Cliffy said:

Waiting anxiously for your pictures.....;)

VR Man said:
Best 7-14mm lens price so far is John 3:16. Abt $2.5k. If anyone knows of another place with a better price please share.

Thanks for the info. Wonder what's price for the body alone.

Cliffy said:
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you have large and the fastes CF also.

Keep it well, remember, not weather proof, so don't shower with it.

I hope you are not reading this forum for a few days at least. Don't sit at computer, just to unload CF and out, out, out... take pics to show.

OlyFlyer said:
So, you are saying in Singapore there are no Canons, Nikons, Minoltas, Hasselblads, Mamiyas and so on, only Olympus? Not only that but only E-1s? I have never been to Singapore but it would be an interesting visit. I bet I could take a lot of pictures with people holding the above mentioned cameras, specially the first three. The funnyest part would be to take pics of the same people from behind, since they must have a huge rucksack on their back carrying a cool box to dehumidify their cameras after each picture and lense change.

BTW, even E-1 people must carry the same package to de-humidify theirs after lense change. Not that I understand how to do that, once the lense is on, the camera is weather proof, meaning hunidity can not get into the camera, but it can not get out either. So, they have to dismount the lense again, put it in the dry box with lense on the side. Big problem, how to take pictures with SLR, assuming changing lense, without letting some humidity enter the camera.

I remember this kind of discussions among the photographers back in the 1970s also. Then it was about how to save films from humidity when you are out in the wilderness, claiming fungus will grow and eat your silver grains. Well, I still have all my thousands of negatives and slides left, both B/W and color, not one is thrown out due to fungus or humidity.

Sorry for the long answer, finishing off with: I may be wrong, I have never been to Singapore, I have to take your word for it.

For someone who has never been to Singapore, you sure have some very strong opinions on how photogs should look after their equipments here.

How about this? Send your beloved lenses and negatives to Sigapore, and I will lovingly keep these in the usual Singapore household for a couple of months. No aircond. No dry box.

See how your stuff will fair. And how stupid your opinions are on looking after equipments in Singapore.

Many years ago,in a place east of Singapore...

I placed some negatives in the open for 2 weeks. Guess what? While scanning them, I discovered small little dots and "stuff" in my digitized images. Thinking it was dust, I tried to clean them up in Photoshop but the dots were just too many. I inspected my negatives and OMG there they were! :bigeyes: Little fungus colonies growing all over. :angry:

After that, I always placed my negatives, trans and camera gear in my dry box. I have no problems with fungus ever after. :D

End of story.

PS: Singapore is really a humid place. Photography gear beware! :nono:

Cliffy said:

Congrads and dont forget to buy your LCD screen protective sticker and dry box :)

Status
Not open for further replies.