Help me decide

BurgaFlippinMan

Jun 20, 2004
OK, so it is a pretty rare thing for me to question my sense of judgement nowadays but I'm in two minds about these photos.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Choosing between the two versions

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
a film noir look

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Tight hallway in house

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
The white spot in the first (original) always bothered me but there wasn't anyway I could get around it in the actual shot due to the physical constraints I had. Being usually a natural light photographer, to me that white spot points to an obvious artificial light source, one that probably would never be there in the apparent setting. However, something in the back of my mind does like the hard black/white local contrast it gives. What do you guys think?

4706940199_cb7615bdd7_b.jpg

1-_DSC2393-Edit-AspectRatio-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the edginess, the leading/radiating lines and the hard side lighting. However, I would prefer to see some parts of the left side of the face, otherwise the model's expression would be lost.

I'm as torn apart as you...wahaha...

But I still find the 1st one more natural...coz the white spot behind the model's head do explain the light source on his face somehow...feels more balance....
*though I would like to see the nice striped shadows on the wall...(I repeat, I am as torn apart..:bsmilie:)*

The white spot introduces the shadow of the back of the guy's head, which I think adds another dimension to the photo.
I vote for #1 !! :)

Thanks! Keep the votes (and reasons why) coming in!

Yea this is one of those rare times where my natural light honed gut instinct (who votes #2) doesn't agree with my occasionally out there aesthetic sense lol. One minute I'm thinking #1 is good, the next its #2. I guess the real question here is which one is 'more noir'. :)

Last edited:
I think the white in #1 detracts from the image, #2 is more compelling.

Thanks. There are valid arguments for both I think. Noir is after all characterized by strange unnatural shadows. I'll probably just flip a coin.

No. 1 for me for the shadow of the guy with the hat on the wall.

No 1,due to t:Dhe shadow of the hat

1st one. The second one look a bit not natural. It look like u got a nice background then u edit in a person.

i actually thought that #2 feels more film noir-ish. reason being that its "fakeness" somehow contribute to the kinda intentionally constructed sense of suspense one find in those films. #1 feels like a good photo that incidentally resembles the theme you want. #2 feels more articulated to suit the theme. i feel. my 2 cents worth. :)

no 1 better... more natural

no 2 got big white spot side to the face... spoilt the picture

Thanks all for the input!

no 1 better... more natural

no 2 got big white spot side to the face... spoilt the picture

Thanks, but the model is exactly the same in the two pictures (same layer), I'm just asking which version of the background works better, ie which is more 'film noir'? :)

if i have to choose between the 2, it will be #1.

Looks #1 will win hands down....... so I will vote for #2! :bsmilie:

On first sight, I thought I would take #1 because it really looks natural.

But I thought again, and said, if there is only 1 light source (at the top left corner), why will the radiating lines suddenly turn into an area of whiteness behind the model's head??
And only to suddenly reappear in the model's shadow..

Thus I found #2 to be more natural. But I would like to see a stronger shadow in #2. And also a bit more of the model's left face, to give more "hints" on his expression.

everyone agrees that #1 looks more natural. I do too.

now only boils down to whether you WANT a natural image. is it noir enough for you?

I would pick #2. although it needs more photoshopping.

I like the 2nd one better. It has a better overall feel to it and is more film noir-ish. The fact that the first one has a white spot doesn't appeal to me at all.
Well, I'm not a full professional photographer, but that's my input. Hope it helps :)

But I thought again, and said, if there is only 1 light source (at the top left corner), why will the radiating lines suddenly turn into an area of whiteness behind the model's head??

Thanks. Well, I think in noir there are always strange shadows being thrown around as the unnatural lighting is part of what noir is. The question is, is it effective? I guess it does come down to a matter of taste sometimes.

I would pick #2. although it needs more photoshopping.

Thanks. What further work would you suggest?