Help me decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrywoo1978

Nov 19, 2009
Hi guys,

First of all I will like to thank all the experts for giving all the expert inputs for the all first time DSLR buyers like me. After reading all the reviews and went to the respective shops to play around with the respective recommended cameras, I have zoom down to the following cameras

1. Alpha 550.
-------------
Played with it, really quite taken aback by the fast auto-focus and photo taking speed (think like its almost instand). The grid is also very nice (cause like alot of bros out there, I also have a very big hand to begin with). Overall the control is quite ok(well never played alot of with the menus, cause I totally don't know what are some of the options).

I also know that the camera have the build in AF motor, so the savings from the lens etc. Well I don't really need to record videos, so thats why i exclude the 500D. Also partly because I don't really like the handle of the camera, too small for me.

2. D5000
---------
Played with it, also felt ok with it, just that it does not come with the auto-focus. The grid is also very nice, but I personally felt the Alpha 550 still have the best grid. Same as the above reason, control is quite ok.

3. K-x
------
Well so far all the infor. I gotten is from reviews, and also quite hard to find a shop that sells this camera. But seems like this camera does have alot of good reviews. Maybe some bros can advise where I can go and get my hands on this camera for a test.

My main req. for going into DSLR is more for lesuire photo (i.e. anything under the sun). Another req. is I would lile to also purchase a long range lens (i.e. 18-200) cause I would like to shoot something at a distance. So as Alpha 550 and D5000 have bundle offers, so might be tempted towards them.

Apart from choosing the camera, one think suddenly came across my mind when I asking at one of the big electronics stalls, when they talking about the purchasing of extended warranty. My question is would anyone in here perfer to purchase at RRP but with extended warranty or would anyone go to the recommeded shops i.e. MS Color to purchase at a must cheaper price?

TIA.

Hi some corrections if u dun mind.
It's grip not grid, and D5000 has auto-focus function!!! Wad u meant is the built-in motor for auto-focusing on older lenses.
Since u're going to get 18-200 lens, D5000 is an acceptable option since it can AF with that lens, D5000 can AF with all lenses beginning with AF-S

A550 also has the advantage of IS on all lenses. I dun really know about K-x, so I wont gv any opinion on it.

U excluded 500D juz because it has video function? D5000 also has video recording feature...

All 3 of em produce stunning images for their class. Many ppl will tell u to buy the one dat u find more comfortable to use.

well.. if you are going to keep the camera for at least 2-3 years and you don't decide to go pro or anything, your best choice, by far, would be the a550

Get the A550. Do it now.

See, I just helped you decide.

Hello...welcome.

I wouldn't be able to help you to decide which to buy becos you are the one paying for it and using it.

I would suggest that you compare the price vs features between the cams and have a feel of the cam to see if you're comfortable with the user interface and features of the cams.

Personally, I would go for the A550 between the 3 cams. The build in IS and fast focusing of the cam is really impressive. Besides there is the tilting LCD which is quite useful at times.

Last edited:
Hi some corrections if u dun mind.
It's grip not grid, and D5000 has auto-focus function!!! Wad u meant is the built-in motor for auto-focusing on older lenses.
Since u're going to get 18-200 lens, D5000 is an acceptable option since it can AF with that lens, D5000 can AF with all lenses beginning with AF-S

A550 also has the advantage of IS on all lenses. I dun really know about K-x, so I wont gv any opinion on it.

U excluded 500D juz because it has video function? D5000 also has video recording feature...

All 3 of em produce stunning images for their class. Many ppl will tell u to buy the one dat u find more comfortable to use.

Hi,

Thanks for the quite reply and thanks correcting me. Well for the video, what I meant was that the reason, at least I gather around from forumers is that why people would go for 500D rather than D5000 is because of the video function. As for me, the main priorty is photo taking, which in this respect, the D5000 will be better.

As for the built-in motor, at least for me, maybe also because I just started to play with DSLR, therefore would not really feel the benefits at this pt. of time. So would like to heard more from fellow bros.

TIA.

Hello...welcome.

I wouldn't be able to help you to decide which to buy becos you are the one paying for it and using it.

I would suggest that you compare the price vs features between the cams and have a feel of the cam to see if you're comfortable with the user interface and features of the cams.

Personally, I would go for the A550 between the 3 cams. The build in IS and fast focusing of the cam is really impressive. Besides there is the tilting LCD which is quite useful at times.

Thanks. This is also my first impression when i played with this camera.

If u hv no intention to go pro, and u don hv an unlimited pocket, go for a550. The in body IS will save u a lot of money in the long run.

Last edited:
If u hv no intention to go pro, and u don hv an unlimited pocket, go for a550. The in body IS will save u a lot of money in the long run.

Actually with regards of going pro, my intention is that I wanted to start off with a entry level camera, which like alot of bros mentioned, play around with the DSLR and then slowly move up.

What I mean is, do u forsee urself becoming a professional photographer in future, to use photography to earn a living? If u r, then maybe u might wanna consider Canon and Nikon, as people still consider them as more professional. Doesn't mean their pro cams definately will produce better photos than others, its just the branding of Nikon and Canon.

However if u r not going to depend on photography to earn a living, Sony alphas is more than enough to satisfy ur needs, not to mention its more value for money. Sony also hv the cheapest full frame dslr, in case u are thinking of upgrading to one in future.

What I mean is, do u forsee urself becoming a professional photographer in future, to use photography to earn a living? If u r, then maybe u might wanna consider Canon and Nikon, as people still consider them as more professional. Doesn't mean their pro cams definately will produce better photos than others, its just the branding of Nikon and Canon.

However if u r not going to depend on photography to earn a living, Sony alphas is more than enough to satisfy ur needs, not to mention its more value for money. Sony also hv the cheapest full frame dslr, in case u are thinking of upgrading to one in future.

Aiyo. This is a bit rubbish lah. There are a lot of pro photogs earning a good living using Sony gear. And a lot of C and N photogs buying the A850/A900 for use with the Carl Zeiss lenses.

Actually with regards of going pro, my intention is that I wanted to start off with a entry level camera, which like alot of bros mentioned, play around with the DSLR and then slowly move up.

Get the A550. Then you can already invest in the Carl Zeiss lenses. When you then upgrade to the full-frame high resolution Sony bodies, you have a killer combo already.

Trust me. You can earn a very very good living as a pro photographer with ANY GEAR. It's the output that matters.

Aiyo. This is a bit rubbish lah. There are a lot of pro photogs earning a good living using Sony gear. And a lot of C and N photogs buying the A850/A900 for use with the Carl Zeiss lenses.

I'm sure photographers will know what u mentioned. But people who are clueless about photography (company or event organisers) will hv the thinking that Nikon and Canon are more professional... so in a way having a pro canikon cam might help in projecting a better image. Like I said, it has nothing to do with the camera. Its the branding...

Of cos with Sony coming so strongly in the dslr market, hopefully this kind of perception will change in the years to.come.

Btw Ts I still recommend the a550. Its a very good camera that seriously can't be beaten by any other camera of a similar price.

3. K-x
------
Well so far all the infor. I gotten is from reviews, and also quite hard to find a shop that sells this camera.

You didnt try finding i guess. I saw k-x in OP, AP-sim lim, AP-funan and the shop beside CP tripod section (I never go in before and dont know its name) on 1 single day. And most of the shops have 2-3 copies on the shelf. I dont think so fast no stock already.

There might be more shops with stock. I wasnt looking for k-x. just saw them on the shelf when shopping for a lens i need.

You didnt try finding i guess. I saw k-x in OP, AP-sim lim, AP-funan and the shop beside CP tripod section (I never go in before and dont know its name) on 1 single day. And most of the shops have 2-3 copies on the shelf. I dont think so fast no stock already.

There might be more shops with stock. I wasnt looking for k-x. just saw them on the shelf when shopping for a lens i need.

Haha, well to a certain extend yes. Cause so far I have only hands on in those big elec. shops. Actually I had quite bad experiences from the shops in SLS, which are rather hard selling. I think I might be going to recommeded shops by fellow bros to try out the k-x.

Regarding whether going pro, actually I am just trying to take photograhy as a hobby. One of my friends did mentioned this. He did mentioned that I might very fast "out-grown" my desire and wanted to upgrade. But with regards on going pro, i don't forsee that.

Haha, well to a certain extend yes. Cause so far I have only hands on in those big elec. shops. Actually I had quite bad experiences from the shops in SLS, which are rather hard selling. I think I might be going to recommeded shops by fellow bros to try out the k-x.

Regarding whether going pro, actually I am just trying to take photograhy as a hobby. One of my friends did mentioned this. He did mentioned that I might very fast "out-grown" my desire and wanted to upgrade. But with regards on going pro, i don't forsee that.

I would suggest that you go for a higher level cam then if you can afford it so that the cam will last you longer. Everytime you upgrade to a new cam, the old cam will be sold at a depreciated value.

I would suggest that you go for a higher level cam then if you can afford it so that the cam will last you longer. Everytime you upgrade to a new cam, the old cam will be sold at a depreciated value.

Like?

thats complete bull cr@p. i know REAL pro's who use canon and nikon .. but sony is such a rarity that it doesnt come into the question

Status
Not open for further replies.