Help me decide!

adiBOY

Dec 30, 2013
Singapore
I have my eyes on a few cameras and I can't really make a decision out of the 3. Below is all the 3 models I'm looking at:

1. Sony A7/ 7R
2. Olympus OMD-EM1
3. Panasonic Lumix GX7

I know the A7 series is in a different category as compared to the other M4/3 but the pricing is within my budget with most the features one can ask for with that price.

Personally, I like to do more street photography, landscape and food shot. Portrait is not a necessity for me.

Any feedback and other recommendations are welcome!

Then is it about the features or about the most expensive one? Any camera can be used for any type of photography.. it all depends on the user..

Canon 1Dx is the best . :bsmilie:

But seriously why are you asking CS members?

Just head down to showroom and get your hands on them.

See which one you like the most - for yourself.

Otherwise build a weighted matrix decision table

Then is it about the features or about the most expensive one? Any camera can be used for any type of photography.. it all depends on the user..

It's more about the features for me. I would like to have something with lesser noise when shooting in high ISO and FF lenses are more generally more expensive than a M4/3 lens?

Canon 1Dx is the best . :bsmilie:

But seriously why are you asking CS members?

Just head down to showroom and get your hands on them.

See which one you like the most - for yourself.

Otherwise build a weighted matrix decision table

Hahah if i were you i would go around with my note3 and just take pics..

In the end isnt it about what you want to tell ppl thru your photographs and not bout the camera?

I'm asking opinions from some experts here like the pros and cons of the mentioned camera models and is the more expensive FF lenses more worth it than M4/3 lenses?

Need something with long term sustainability in mind.

Last edited:
I think is better u go down and feel the camera yourself, before u ask for advise here.

Have you try the cameras up yet? From what I have read, the EM1 and GX7 would be a tag faster in Autofocus as compared to A7/ 7r. The lenses are cheaper for EM1 and GX7 and both Olympus and Pansonic could use each others lenses thus expanding the lenses number.

A7/ A7r had better IQ, lower noise in high ISO.

No one here can tell you which is more important because different people had different preferences. So you need to decide for yourself. Go down to the shop and play with the cameras, see which one you like and get that one lor.

Yeah I've tried all the cameras and the Sony and Olympus has the best handling for me. It is very difficult to test the image quality by just looking at the LCD and ISO is difficult to test in shop too. Any recommended shops that I can test all 3 camera models without the boss giving me attitude?

Yeah I've tried all the cameras and the Sony and Olympus has the best handling for me. It is very difficult to test the image quality by just looking at the LCD and ISO is difficult to test in shop too. Any recommended shops that I can test all 3 camera models without the boss giving me attitude?

Challenger and other megastore. Bring your own SD card. Don't buy there though... for smaller shops, normally they don't let you press the shutter button unless you more or less confirmed to buy.

As for noise level... confirm A7/ A7r is going to be better, no question ask... but how much better or was the better warrant for the increase in price, it is up to yourself.

If that the case then you should get quote from few shops, once u set which shop to go then tell them your worry. With a heart of purchase I believe they won't chase u out of shop.

Last edited:
I would also look at the pictures behind the LCD or at websites like dpreview and see how you like the colors from each camera.

An experienced senior once told me any camera can make good photos. (Not being sarcastic here, really I was told this ok)

U said yourself the handling is better for Sony n Oly so out the GX7. Handling is according to oneself and to me very impt.

Next question will be most likely the lens map. One glance and one will know MFT is very mature with a good variety of lens at diff price margins. Getting the Sony will mean u have to be very patient unless u have ready access to good glass from the other brands.

If u get the voigtlander 17.5/0.95 Or Oly 75/1.8 I don't think u can say that Sony lenses are definitely better. Both mounts each have top quality glass that people are willing to splurge on.

Lastly IQ wise , obviously on paper a full frame sensor should be better but the next question comes in which is how often are u going to be needing that perceived 'top notch quality' ?

I suggest u take some time and visit the galleries of photos by A7 and EM1 users in the forum for a feel then move to Funan and happily spend time playing with the bodies till u settle down on one. :)

I'm asking opinions from some experts here like the pros and cons of the mentioned camera models and is the more expensive FF lenses more worth it than M4/3 lenses?
Need something with long term sustainability in mind.
Define "long term". You are going for consumer electronics, not property (ok, some people buy & sell houses faster than others change thgeir lenses here..). New bodies and sensors come every 12-24 months. Lenses takes more time. So what you should look at is rather how to operate the camera (look & feel) and what system you want to get. There are also a couple of sticky threads here in the Newbies Corner, have you checked them already? Street and landscape might require some mobility, have you considered the weight of each system?

As people have been saying that the larger the sensor, the better the photo will look. Does the image quality really have a great disparity when shooting with a FF sensor and a M4/3 sensor which is about 4 times smaller?

I know M4/3 is a more matured system and plenty of lenses can be found. What I am thinking is that to use a FF sensor and probably attached a 4/3 lens over it and achieve the same result for a 4/3 while still retaining the benefits of a FF sensor?

As people have been saying that the larger the sensor, the better the photo will look. Does the image quality really have a great disparity when shooting with a FF sensor and a M4/3 sensor which is about 4 times smaller? I know M4/3 is a more matured system and plenty of lenses can be found. What I am thinking is that to use a FF sensor and probably attached a 4/3 lens over it and achieve the same result for a 4/3 while still retaining the benefits of a FF sensor?

U can't use a M43 lens over d FF sensor as it will not cover d full circle. Sony A7/Rs r for the IQ n noise control while M43 r for d matured lens lineup n faster AF n in EM1 d image stabilizer meaning u get sharp images 90% of d time.

As people have been saying that the larger the sensor, the better the photo will look. Does the image quality really have a great disparity when shooting with a FF sensor and a M4/3 sensor which is about 4 times smaller? I know M4/3 is a more matured system and plenty of lenses can be found. What I am thinking is that to use a FF sensor and probably attached a 4/3 lens over it and achieve the same result for a 4/3 while still retaining the benefits of a FF sensor?

U sound like u have already made a decision my friend. If u already have made the unconscious conclusion that FF will produce better pictures , then I guess as long as u don't get a FF camera , u prob will always be wondering will your photos be better. Nothing wrong with this , this is just being human.

Of course I'm not going to start another FF vs ___ arguments :)

No matter what, technical tests will tell u FF will produce better IQ and better noise control.

Only one thing I've to remind is that the argument of the larger the sensor the better the photos only holds water up until a limited extent. Even for the humble MFT, I've seen users giving images worse than PnS and some images so good that they astound.

Last edited:
As people have been saying that the larger the sensor, the better the photo will look. Does the image quality really have a great disparity when shooting with a FF sensor and a M4/3 sensor which is about 4 times smaller?

Actually that is a misconception. What make up a good photo includes the following,

1) Composition
2) Skills
3) Story behind the photo
4) Image IQ (and that is only after the first three was accomplish).

For example, I can had one of the best system in the world and took pictures that are sharp, crisp and contrasty... however if the picture just looked like any you could download from the net or nothing special about it (or what I call... lifeless.) then it was all for naught. However, if another photographer who uses nothing but his mobilephone (say... a Nokia 1520 or 1020 - I like Nokia and I am not ashame to say so), to take a picture in the same area as me, but in the picture, he put in great thoughts, effort, the angle of the shots, the story behind the shot, the timing, the lighting, everything added in... and the picture had this "wow" effect that would glue audience to it. If you do a 100% crop, of course you will see my super duper sensor camera would produce much cleaner, sharper and contrasty picture... but overall it is just a multi-megapixel piece of crap, while the other photographer with a tiny sensored mobile phone, whose picture had the wow effect would certainly have more impact (visual) on the audience.

So... no... your photo will not look better even if you have a camera with the largest digital sensor in it. But if you are going just for the image quality... then yes, the larger the sensor, the better the image quality (to a certain sense).

However, it cannot also be said that big sensor camera are actually not useful or useless... if that was the case, no professional (photographers) would want to get the big sensor camera seeing that these camera system cost wayyyy more than mobile phone or compact camera. The big sensor camera like any other cameras is a tool and sometime you just need that tool to make your picture work.

I know M4/3 is a more matured system and plenty of lenses can be found. What I am thinking is that to use a FF sensor and probably attached a 4/3 lens over it and achieve the same result for a 4/3 while still retaining the benefits of a FF sensor?

Actually... you are pretty wrong in this area.

m4/3 had more lenses (native)... yes... that is correct. However, Sony don't just started out making camera. They have been making cameras and digital sensor for ages... need I remind you that Olympus fabulous m4/3 sensor are manufactured by Sony nowadays? Also at present moment the A7 and A7r didn't have much native lenses... with adapter though, you could add on other Sony DSLR lenses... which are very good indeed.

Plus... you must first factor in what you wanted to take... what genre you are after. After defining that genre, then you see if A7 and A7r current lenses supported that genre. If it did, I don't see what is the fuss... if it didn't, then you will have to make a choice to either get the adapter and purchase Sony DSLR range of lenses (but you will lost some of the advantage like being small)... or get the m4/3 then.

So TS... Conclusion is... follow your heart... becoz

FF sensor = Better DOF, IQ, noise control and Dynamic Range (if U PP alot)
M4/3 = Better AF and Image Stabilization letting U get the shot most of the time and more native lenses to use (and cheaper)
Photographer = The better U get, doesnt matter what camera U use... The pictures will have soul...

If U R mainly doing street, landscape and food shootings, U dun really need the FF sensor's capabilities as U dun need the DOF, DR and noise control tat much, the M4/3 should serve U well to capture that moment U need. Just my 2 cents worth...