Help me decide on the camera to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapO

Jun 15, 2003
Visit Singapore Sometimes
Hi,

I am looking to buy a digicam next week when I visit Singapore.
Budget is around S$750 - 1500.

The camera I'm looking at are(in my preference order):
1. Fuji F602Z
1. Sony V1
2. Canon G5/3
4. Sony F717

I like/dislike the:
Fuji - powerfull zoom, 30fps video / Discontinued model, 3.3MP.
V1 - small and cool / Not enough tele.
Canon - Great Image Quality / Not enough tele.
F717 - Great overall / Weird Shape.

I do all sorts of photograhy. A bit here and there.
Sports, night, birds, portrait, candid, etc, etc.

I like all of them and don't know which one to buy.
Can you guys help me choose which one to buy, but please don't advise any camera above my budget.

<This of it this way, image you are me(got 1500MAX, NO camera), which one will you buy>

Cheers and TIA!

For I have $1.5k I would take Fuji then the Canon.

Fuji, being discontinued, u can probably get a better price.

Canon, get the G5 if u need 5MP, else get G3 2nd hand. If need more tele or WA, get the original attachments, else there are 3rd parties attachments too.

Reason why get G5 new instead of G3 new is that G5 is cheaper new. :)

With the teleconvertor.... do I need to attach it whenever I want to use it .... or can I just leave it in the camera when not in use?
.... I'm talking about Canon's G of course.

to AJ> Being discontinued... they'r harder to get new.:confused:

why not wait a while if there's no hurry? thhe replacement fuji, if any, will probably be better and yet cheaper ;p

There hasn't been any talk about a replacement for S602 I guess..... there's only that "something-700" or whathever it is called using the new CCD. I don't think that'll be as good as the S602Z anyway.

I have been waiting long enough I guess.... after I sold my Finepix 50i 4 months ago , I have been using a sony camcorder to take my "digital" pictures.... how convenient.
:confused:

$1500? Nikon CoolPix 5700 :)

Think it can suit your photography needs has the tele, the mp, the speed.

CP5700..... heheh u want me to store the pictures taken in the provided memory?
My money where got enough?

How about a second hand D30? With a few hundred dollars left for a zoom or 2 primes. Plus a lot of expandability in the future. :D

The V1 is a strong contender if you need fast AF speed. The AF speed is unmatchable by any digital prosumer cams on the market (even faster than the S602 IMO).

4x (34mm - 136mm) zoom should pretty much cover almost everything you need to shoot normally.

Noise wise ISO400 from the V1 is very usable (comparable to ISO200 from most other cams). ISO800 is usable after some post-processing.

I will put it at the top of my list. ;)

Drawbacks are MS instead of CF (expensive and not as widely used, but very good if you are using other Sony products like the Clies or VAIOs) and proprietary batteries.

yeah... a second hand D30 will be the best for me.
But I think they'r impossible to find during my 4 days transit to Singapore.... and I'm only willing to pay $1250-1300 for a used D30.
:)

Memory Stick are the worst media IMO.
If V1 is using CF then it will be the top of my list.

Does John 3:16 has a website?
How does J3:16 prices compared to the others(AP, MS, CP...)?

J3:16 doesn't have a website. And their prices is not the cheapest, but IMO their pre-sales and post-sales services is one best if not the best around.

And yes, I agree with u, MS/MS Pro is one of the #$@#$@# media around, not in terms of performance, but in terms of price and proprietaryness. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.