help me decide Canon 5D or Nikon D300

Status
Not open for further replies.

twin fins

Feb 6, 2007
Dear PRO ,
Currently using a 30D , thinking of upgrading to a 5D or D300.

Which is a better cam ? :dunno:

Thx .

if the camera is better or not, you will have to decide by yourself
as everyone has different shooting styles and expectations

thread title edited

no brand war here please ... :nono:

if the camera is better or not, you will have to decide by yourself
as everyone has different shooting styles and expectations

thread title edited

no brand war here please ... :nono:

Dude , not trying to set-up a brand war here . I'm into sport n still pictures , just wana know which one suit me best ?
thx .

Dude , not trying to set-up a brand war here . I'm into sport n still pictures , just wana know which one suit me best ?
thx .

i am talking to everyone, as in please do not start a brand war in their posts
if i taught you were trying to start a brand war, i would just lock your thread instead

Dear PRO ,

Thx .

Why do you need an upgrade? What is the rationale for shortlisting those 2 cameras? If you asked me, you don't need an upgrade at all. You just want to buy something.....

I'm into sport n still pictures , just wana know which one suit me best ?
thx .

back to your question

these are 2 very different cameras

one is DX and one is FX (full frame 35mm)

one makes your 300mm f2.8 look like a 450mm f2.8
while the other just makes it a 300mm f2.8

one makes a 20mm look like a 30mm
and one will still look like a 20mm

so it depends on you and how you shoot.

best is to rent and try out for a day
do a side by side test and see which one you prefer

5D is Fullframe, shoots 3 frames per sec.
D300 is crop sensor, shoot 6 frames per sec.

If you are shooting sports.. I assume you would need to zoom in, a crop sensor will extend the range and the 6 FPS will be useful to capture the action. So I would recommend the D300 for sports.

For portraits. nothing beats a full frame sensor. I just realise you are using the 30D, in that case, do you really wanna change all your lens collection? If you can wait, hold on for the Canon 5D MkII.

Dear PRO ,

Thx .

Don't need to think.. If you already have existing gears, the logical option is to stick with that brand. It's expensive to switch brands unless you intend to collect both. Like Kit asked, why is there a need to upgrade?

If shooting sports is more of your interest, then just stick with your 30D. If shooting landscape and portraits interest you more, get the 5D. If both sports and landscape equally interest you, stick with your 30D and invest in better lenses instead. If you have loads of extra money to burn, and just feeling itchy to try a new system, then go ahead get the Nikon D300 which is just as competent as Canon. If you still can't decide, buy both.

Dear PRO ,

Thx .

Besides the technical specs, which I believed you may have checked, you may wish to consider two other aspects:
i) training aspects: do the company provide training?
ii) service aspects: How is after sales service.
I have 3 camera brands, and some of them really are poor in training and / or service.

Besides the technical specs, which I believed you may have checked, you may wish to consider two other aspects:
i) training aspects: do the company provide training?
ii) service aspects: How is after sales service.
I have 3 camera brands, and some of them really are poor in training and / or service.

Training?!?! Do you get a certificate at the end of the day? "This is to certify that [name] has completed the [Make/model] training and is certified to be competent in handling the equipment."

Why are you so haughty and mighty? The guy just asked a simple and pure query?

I don't think Ortega was being haughty. He is the moderator for Clubsnap so he is telling the posters "DO NOT START A BRAND WAR!" and play nice.....if not, he has the power to lock the thread.

If you already have a Canon system and lenses best is to stick with that brand rather than changing to a completely new system. There will not be any quantum leap or differences in the quality of your images be it taken with 5D or D300 imho.

I agreed with kit. It is so obvious that all good effort in offering advice in this thread will all go to waste. Why am i reading this???

Why are you so haughty and mighty? The guy just asked a simple and pure query?

haughty and mighty ... let me see,
if i was haughty and mighty, i would have

1. close the thread
2. issue TS an infraction

instead, i edit his title and post warning to the rest
so that his thread can stay open and benefit everyone.

and, if i was haughty and mighty, i would also issue you with an infraction for the below

1. Be Nice and Be Civilised - abusing, name-calling, personal attacks on members and/or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated. Be kind to newbies as they may not know the general flow of the forums. Repeatedly violation of this rule will result in banishment.

3. Off-Topic (OT) posts - Please direct all posts not related to Photography to the Kopitiam forum. OT posts will be deleted or moved without noticed if posted in any other forums.
NOTE: Although Kopitiam is meant as a catch-all area for things not related to photography, posts/threads which are:
religious,
political,
racist;
in nature or can be construed as such will also be stamped out, abolished and demolished without prejudice.

5. Flaming / Personal Attacks - We will not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks or self-promoting messages. Please refer to Rule #1. Repeated abuse will result in banishment.

6. Trolls - We will not tolerate anyone antagonising other forum members by posting potentially inflammatory messages. See Rule #1. Repeated abuse will result in banishment. Do not participate in a thread merely to criticize or mock the equipment choice of other forum members in the thread. Examples include Nikon shooters posting in Canon topic areas, Canon shooters posting in Nikon topic areas and anyone posting in any topic area where the result can serve only to insult and inflame regular participants in that topic area.

instead of taking my time from my day job to reply to you
so please read and think before you post

btw you have been in CS for a few years already, so i would expect that you should know better
that this kind of title will soon lead into a brand war

btw just in case you cannot see for yourself

the original thread title was "Re: ____________Canon 5D vs Nikon D300___________"

I agreed with kit. It is so obvious that all good effort in offering advice in this thread will all go to waste. Why am i reading this???

like me....nothing better to do...or just plain kaypoh...;p

Actually, I think and agree that TS need to think about why he needs an upgrade before comparing models. Else he will forever be blowing budget to get cameras

Then again....that's why we have B&S forum...;)

keep your 30D for action shots.

buy a budget 120 film camera for still life and landscapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.