help me choose a camera

fcnme

Mar 2, 2008
Hi everyone. Kinda non-active here.

I'm thinking of getting me a camera, but dunno which model to choose.

Have these 3 models in mind:

Panasonic LX-3
Sony DSC-H20
Canon G10

Firstly, I know nuts about photography.. Usually, I just use the scene mode to shoot my pictures. sometimes it turns out well, most times no. Currently am using Canon IXUS 90 IS and not so satisfied with it as I'm not sure how to fully utilise the camera.

Please advise if I should:

buy one of the 3 cameras above that is most idiotproof or learn how to use my current camera.

If I should buy one of the 3 above, which is best for taking photos of animals(cats and hamsters), sceneries(sunset/trees/skies etc) and lastly, people photos. I frequently use for the first 2 actually.

Do bear in mind that it must be easy to use as in not much manual settings to do etc etc..

So I seek advice from all you knowledgeable people here.
Please help me out!! Thanks.
:D

all of these have auto modes, but also manual functions.

the thing is, you can take good pictures with even your ixus 90 is. if you do not seek to understand how the functions and parameters you can change work, then you will just have to rely on luck and whether the camera thinks correctly (for you) and gets the right thing the way you want it.

i suggest reading up a bit on photography. it is not hard, really. and you will get a lot more out of your camera, be it the lx3, g10 or h20. and even your ixus 90.

as nightmare pointed out...i think ur ixus 90 is good enough for your using. the purpose of lx 3 g10 etc..is to use A mode S mode and manual mode. If you dont need those...dont bother...ixus 90 is more than enough.

i see.. If thats the case, can give me a few tips on what to read up so I can take better pics? I tried reading about it before but it was too technical, couldn't understand so I gave up.

If there's sites that you guys could recommend, it would be very helpful.

thanks for your input. Really appreciate it.
:)

i see.. If thats the case, can give me a few tips on what to read up so I can take better pics? I tried reading about it before but it was too technical, couldn't understand so I gave up.

If there's sites that you guys could recommend, it would be very helpful.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

seriously...the only thing to play, using a point & shoot. is composition. with the right composition. ur image will look gd. without it...no amt of exposure correct light will help u

I would say that for compacts, the difficult shots are always the flash photo to avoid high iso and shakes. They often ended to harsh bright, too dark or too grainy as the cam ups the iso due to the wear flash.
In daytime, majority of the compacts does very well in iso100/200. In night shots, if the cam can't do it mean tripod is the alternative.

IMO, using bounce flash or diffuser is one means that can give a compact user consistent natural illumination but at the expense of size. With bounce flash (diffuser), any model with TTL will do very fine.

Hi everyone,

just checked this thread today. I guess I will properly learn how to use my current camera instead of just buying another one.

Glanced through the thread posted by night86mare. It looks comprehensive enough for me to understand. Will slowly read through.

Christan99, thanks for the manual link to my camera. been looking high and low for mine. Hopefully with these 2 sources, I can take better pictures soon.

Thank you to everyone else for your advice, will keep those pointers in mind.

Will post here if I have anything to ask!