Help! Lexar CF Card Died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffp

May 14, 2004
Siglap
Hi,

My less than year-old Lexar 512Mb card has died on me. Downloaded some images from it (taken over the weekend) onto my Mac. Then after editing, I wanted to load the set up again for transfer to my PC.

But the copy (from Mac to card) process kept getting stopped at a particular picture and the Mac hung. It was late so I gave up and wanted to try today.

But now, neither the Mac nor my PC can detect the card, which I slot into a card reader that came with it. Using Image Rescue (which also came with the Lexar) also doesn't work.

Anyone out there who can help? Bought this card at a time when prices were high...and lost the receipt.

Geoff

Sad to hear dat...

Hmm, had u try using it on your cam again.... possible card reader faulty?

If it's not a card reader problem, can send it to Convergent Systems. They will honour the warranty as long as it's a Lexar card. Good guys! :thumbsup:

The initial 2GB Lexar I got from the CS mass order that time was a lemon (died only after a few uses, reader refused to recognise it). Emailed Eastgear (my pickup point) and they responded very quickly, telling me to visit Convergent Systems. Convergent Systems took my card, tested it on the spot and replaced it with a brand new one immediately, no questions asked (din even need to show my receipt). Great service :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks all. I'll try. Anyone know where Convergent Systems is? May take a drive there today.

Edited Add:
Got it off the Net, posting here for all:

CONVERGENT SYSTEMS (S) PTE. LTD.
1 Rochor Canal Road
#06-12 Sim Lim Square
Singapore 188504
Tel: +65 6337-0177
Fax: +65 6336-2247

Ya my lexar card was also replaced with no questions asked, dont even need receipt. And my problem was actually one of those random type, sometimes will work, sometimes will not work.

Went down today. The technician tested the card on his PC, and then, because they had no stocks, gave me a voucher to collect one later. No questions asked.

I'd say this has become "preferred" brand because of the fuss-free service.

Wonder if SandDisk, Transcend and Kingston offer the same "lifetime warranty".

Thanks again all, who responded to the help call.

Geoff

Geoffp said:
Went down today. The technician tested the card on his PC, and then, because they had no stocks, gave me a voucher to collect one later. No questions asked.

Geoff

Which CF512 did you sent it in for service? If it's the normal CF512, you can come by to collect it on Wednesday.

Kingston is also Lifetime Warranty.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I am impressed!

Convergent Systems said:
Which CF512 did you sent it in for service? If it's the normal CF512, you can come by to collect it on Wednesday.

Kingston is also Lifetime Warranty.

Thnks. Please see PM.

Edited Version:
Its a 40X. Was supposed to be an extra fast one (when I bought it). The counter staff said there was no stock and I'd be contacted when there were stocks.

Geoff

Geoffp said:
Thnks. Please see PM.

Edited Version:
Its a 40X. Was supposed to be an extra fast one (when I bought it). The counter staff said there was no stock and I'd be contacted when there were stocks.

Geoff

It's the services by Convergent that makes me want to get the products distributed by them... (Abit, Kingston, Lexar, etc)

wanna ask does LExar 80X can be used in 10D? Head it cant be used.

Geoffp said:

Geoff

Hi all,

After the kudo many months ago, I think it is only fair to pen a brickbat when one is deserved. Here's what's happend since.

Two weeks after this, I called to enquire, and it was still "no stock, we'll call you". Then I was passed to a product manager who first asked for a week, then more time to sort the matter out. At one time he said Samsung had to destroy a batch of cards and that's why the matter was being delayed.

By and by he stopped answering my calls. Once he said he was driving and that he'd call back. But never did.

Then last Friday, I called the service dept and they said they would replace the 40X with an 80X card. I wondered why no one had ever called me with this. Were they waiting for the customer to forget?

I went down today, and asked to meet the chap I'd been dealing with. When asked why he'd not returned calls. He said he'd forgotten my number and that he had lost it (yes, both). Hard to believe that if he'd cared one milligram for this customer, he could have retrieved it from the relevant document.

On top of that, when the receptionist called this chap to say a customer was looking for him, she said over the phone that a "black-black" man was waiting for him. (Yes, some of us do understand Chinese though we don't look it)

I got my replacement card - but its my last ever product from Convergent. What a pair of customer-repellant, dis-service staff you have, Convergent.

Geoff

I must say this is one of the very few cases of complaints I've heard about Convergent. If its true (not doubting you, but there's 2 -sides to every story) then I must say I'm disappointed in the level of professionalism shown (or rather, the lack of it...) :eek:

People that shows a lack of professionalism should be lined up in front of the firing squad during retrenchment time. :cool:

snowspeeder said:
People that shows a lack of professionalism should be lined up in front of the firing squad during retrenchment time. :cool:
Before you do that, try answering plentiful of customers' calls everyday on your mobile and see if you won't ignore such pest. I'm not suprised he did.

Lars said:
Before you do that, try answering plentiful of customers' calls everyday on your mobile and see if you won't ignore such pest. I'm not suprised he did.

Well, if it is part of his job nature to answer customer calls; he has to find a way to enjoy doing it, or at least professionally (even if it means dealing with the most unbearable customers). Avoidance is anything but professional. Front line jobs are not suited for everybody.

In the 1st place... he shd not be contacted via HP.. If a customer calls, it shd be to the office and transferred to him.

It clearly shows he's not professional enough.

Since Geoff has gotten his replacement card, I believe this thread has served its purpose.

I am closing this thread off before it gets too personal. Personally I believe there no organisation who doesnt make mistake at all. Its all human factor. My only advice is give and take a bit. I am sure all involved parties learnt something from this cust sat experience.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.