HELP - Is Nikon D40 good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiamH

Oct 7, 2006
Sengkang
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get my first dSLR, after some researching, I decided to get a D50. Unfortunately, the shops said that it has been discontinued!
So, I am thinking of getting a D40 instead. I know that it is smaller. Are there any major bad points about it? Is it compatible with the other Nikon lens?
Thanks for the help.

I tried my friend's D40 lastnight. Camera is small but grip is ok, quite comfortable. Its a really speedy camera, we shoot raw and the continuous shooting is good. I think we shoot around 10 pics then it starts slowing down.. Pic quality is great as usual(with all Nikon Dslr). Its well worth its price and is an excellent addition to the Nikon family.. I am very tempted to get one myself, the perfect travel/go anywhere camera. It can use all the Nikon lens available in the market nw, just that u can't autofocus on non-AFS or AFI lenses. But I guess your 1st lens is the kit lens which is AFS so u wun have any problem with this. In future, when u decide to upgrade/buy new lenses, there is still a considerable number of AFS lenses for u to choose from. I tried Nikon 85mm F1.4 on the D40 and although there's no autofocus, manual focus is a breeze.. And the image quality from this camera is really great, definitely not inferior to the D50 or D70s.

whatever DSLR produced by Nikon is good :thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get my first dSLR, after some researching, I decided to get a D50. Unfortunately, the shops said that it has been discontinued!
So, I am thinking of getting a D40 instead. I know that it is smaller. Are there any major bad points about it? Is it compatible with the other Nikon lens?
Thanks for the help.

There are still D50's out there. In some shops. Go hunt for them.

For the D40, it does not support auto-focus for non AF-S lenses. Other than that, all the other lenses can still be used on it (abeit without auto-focus)

It is also a very simplified DSLR, more for those who want a better performing camera than the prosumers or PnS... Try it and you'll see.

Best @ Great World still selling too

hi, can i juz save the trouble to post a new thread...
cos i oso wanna ask the same qns too...

nikon D40, D50 & D70 which is better for newbies...

hi, can i juz save the trouble to post a new thread...
cos i oso wanna ask the same qns too...

nikon D40, D50 & D70 which is better for newbies...
all are good for newbie... for the most budget get d40/d50. for a little more feature go for d70(noise control ain't as good as the other 2 tho)

:eek: so if i get a D50 will b fine rite... cos i did saw some store still got D50...

although i am a canon user, i will still recommend you getting a d50 over d40 or d70 for a beginner / person on budget. it is a superb camera and i have seen some really amazing shots using it.

:eek: so if i get a D50 will b fine rite... cos i did saw some store still got D50...
D50 is more than fine ... for whichever model u eventually buy, just make sure u read the manual thoroughly and explore the functions/features well ;)

although i am a canon user, i will still recommend you getting a d50 over d40 or d70 for a beginner / person on budget. it is a superb camera and i have seen some really amazing shots using it.

oh izit... but D50 price is abt $1.4k++ rite.. den izit come with kits anot...

but apologize to KiamH, i abit like stealing ur thread... :cry:

oh izit... but D50 price is abt $1.4k++ rite.. den izit come with kits anot...

but apologize to KiamH, i abit like stealing ur thread... :cry:
wow expensive... i bought mine nearly 9mths ago @ about $1250 (with kit lens)

i personally find the D40 a better choice, i actually find that the D40 produce better images with lower noise level and its large high-pixel LCD screen is really useful ^^

I've that read manual focusing on the D40 will not be easy due to it's vf. Is manual focusing very difficult to pick up?

The lens issue is the only thing holding me back. Other den that, it's practically the dslr I've been waiting for.

Although I don't forsee loading up on glass anytime soon but I do wish to upgrade to something that will offer me a longer range. Any recommendations and clue on pricing?

I've that read manual focusing on the D40 will not be easy due to it's vf. Is manual focusing very difficult to pick up?

The lens issue is the only thing holding me back. Other den that, it's practically the dslr I've been waiting for.

Although I don't forsee loading up on glass anytime soon but I do wish to upgrade to something that will offer me a longer range. Any recommendations and clue on pricing?

if d40 got a problem, d50 is worse... d50 viewfinder is even smaller than d40.

The price guide is just a few post above, in #14.

And if you are on budget and 1 longer range, try this, price taken fron the above guide:

AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G DX ED - $300 (TK, Dec05 - mcn)

Courts and Harvey are still selling D50 mah....

the last i rmr.... the ones in courts & harvey still selling the kit set ( with lens ) for $1388.. a couple of months before that, ms color was selling it for $1188, but now they dun stock it already. So if you were to ask me, for an additional $200+ just to buy the D50 over the D40, i would suggest you save the $$ and get the D40 instead. Anyway, it will take u a while to get used to the camera and by then, Nikon would have release more AFS lens... so nothing much to worry about lor.

AF on D40 is fairly quick even though its a 3-area AF, as for lenses, there are tons of AF-S lenses available, both for wide-angles and telephotos ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.