Help is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weerong

Nov 14, 2009
Hi all,

I'm really new to DSLR and have been searching and google-ing for some times.

I'm sorry to ask this.. I really dont understand that much regarding about the Zooming thingy!

Ef 18-55 IS and EF 75-300 III USM..

What's the different between them?

EF 75-300 III USM is for zooming if im not wrong? and with x 4 zoom right? and for Ef 18-55 IS with a x 3 zoom?

so the different between the 2 are?
Im sorry to ask this question..
I need to ask because im still new to it.. i hope u guys understand =)

I am new here tot. As for me, how i learn it was to go to courts and some other stores that have the cam that is being put on display, pick up, look into the view finder. Zoom in and out. And take note of the number on the lens. den move on to a different one. And thats how i knoe whats the different. :)
Hope some pro will be able to give some therory explaination.

I suggest reading the Photography notes for newbies that are here in the Newbies corner, as well as a search online for "photography basics". What you are asking about is the "focal length" which is not the same as "zoom".

75-300 is a telephoto lens, i.e. for shooting objects far away. this lens cannot focus on objects that are too close.

18-55 is a standard zoom lens, i.e. for 'normal' objects.

To calculate how many times the zoom is, just take the longest focal length divided by the shortest. i.e. 55/18 = 3X.

hope this helps. you could always borrow some basic photography books if still not sure.

Hi all,

I'm really new to DSLR and have been searching and google-ing for some times.

I'm sorry to ask this.. I really dont understand that much regarding about the Zooming thingy!

Ef 18-55 IS and EF 75-300 III USM..

What's the different between them?

EF 75-300 III USM is for zooming if im not wrong? and with x 4 zoom right? and for Ef 18-55 IS with a x 3 zoom?

so the different between the 2 are?
Im sorry to ask this question..
I need to ask because im still new to it.. i hope u guys understand =)
You obviously came from P&S with those 20x zoom prosumer cameras. The advantage of dSLRs are the interchangeable lenses so the range of the zoom usually will not be that big as compare to the P&S prosumers.

When comparing lenses, you try to look for similar focal length so you can compare apples with apples. The other factor is the aperture (the f/ factor). The bigger the aperture (smaller no.) the heavier and more expensive. And notice those that have constant aperture throughout the zoom, e.g. f/4 for 24-105 or f/2.8 for 17-40 as compare to those with variable aperture 18-55 f/3.5-5.6.

You should focus on those rather than the no. of x on the zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.