HELP!!! Is my CCD dirty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Realise that the pic I took using my 300D happens to have these specks. Is this caused by the dirtiness of the CCD?

Will Canon clean the CCD for me if my camera is still under warranty?

Please advise me and attached is one of the pic (apply auto-levels and contrast in PS to make the specks more obvious). :(

Thank you in advance.

specks.jpg

Looks like CCD dust to me...

Hi,

CCD Cleaning is $21 with GST. This service is not covered by Canon Warranty.

I just sent mine in for cleaning yesterday and the lady at the desk advised me to go Cathay Photo to get "equipment to clean the sensor myself but of course, the user will have to assume the responsibilities if anything were to go wrong. We just use compressed air to blow off the dirt and you could do it yourself if you want".

You might want to check out Cathay to see if they could give you any good advise.

FYI, you just need to wait for 15-30 mins for the sensor to be cleaned.

Thank you for the replies in such a short period. Thank espn & nexus17.

I think I will rather come out wil $21 for the cleaning by professional rather than getting the kits to clean myself.

Just to confirm, nexus17, you get the same outcome as mine? That bad? where did u send urs for cleaning? Funan? Harboufront? or Bukit Merah? Will they confirm this is due to the dust on the CCD before they clean? What if the problem still un-solved after the cleaning, if there any warranty in this case ;p ?

Thanks.

I did mine at Harbour Front.

They will let you check by taking a test shot; loaning their lens and CF cards to you if needed. The image is then viewed on a PC. If you are not satisfied with the state of the CCD, they will clean again. They mentioned before cleaning that they will be unable to remove stubborn stain on the CCD..... May be that's why she advised us to check with Cathay Photo on this...That's all I gather yesterday

Could also be your lens not your CCD, perhaps you can check?

Nikon's CCD cleaning is free during warranty period :D

espn said:
Looks like CCD dust to me...

Wait...i tot it is CMOS? :p

Anyway, last time the service center did waive off the cost of cleaning the first time i send the camera in when it was within warranty.

Not sure what is their policy now, but DONT quote me if they cannot waive off the charges. Probably because some pple abuse the "free" cleaning service last time, until they rather ask the user clean the sensor themselves or charge you for the cleaning service

i think its just some dust. Should be able to clean off.

I got the same problem on my fuji 602z(not that serious as ur case) also but send in to clean, now no problem. :)

canon charges are definately much cheaper compared to what i paid for cleaning :bigeyes:

nexus17 said:
I did mine at Harbour Front.

They will let you check by taking a test shot; loaning their lens and CF cards to you if needed. The image is then viewed on a PC. If you are not satisfied with the state of the CCD, they will clean again. They mentioned before cleaning that they will be unable to remove stubborn stain on the CCD..... May be that's why she advised us to check with Cathay Photo on this...That's all I gather yesterday

You mean Cathay Photo can clean the CMOS sensor better than the Canon service centre? :confused: or she got some kind of business with the CP?

Yup, looks dirty. I guess you need to confirm first if it's CCD dust by stopping down to f22 or so, MF to infinity and then you choose a blank white wall and fire off a shot from like 20cm away.

The dust should look like this, this is a cropped version of mine. Been abusing the equipment. ;p http://www.pbase.com/image/34709852/original
I mean shooting lots...

For Nikon, they clean the viewfinder too FOC other than the CCD. Very good job done, i had like 12 elephants in the VF and came back kosong. Kudos to Nikon servicing centre. :thumbsup:

sumball said:
Realise that the pic I took using my 300D happens to have these specks. Is this caused by the dirtiness of the CCD?

Will Canon clean the CCD for me if my camera is still under warranty?

Please advise me and attached is one of the pic (apply auto-levels and contrast in PS to make the specks more obvious). :(

Thank you in advance.

specks.jpg

Just wondering from your pic whether you're using some kind of WA lens like the Sigma 12-24? I've seen the same kind of specs on some of my shots using this lens. It appears sometimes, and other times - no.

I don't know if it's the result of some flaring or something for me. Anyway, reading from the bros here, I'd better get my CMOS sensor cleaned as well just in case :confused:

$21 or $80 for a cleaning trip, factor in the time, going during office hours, and the taxi fare... I'll say, clean it yourself. Search the internet for sensor cleaning. So many people are doing it, I am. Cathay has sleaning cloth and solution, the set is a little more than $20, good for up to 1 hundred cleaning trips. But don't try the 3M tape on sensor routine...

Thanks 2100 for guiding me of the test. Wow, your CCD was really dirty :bigeyes: .

Hi knoxknocks,
Was using the Tamron 24-135mm lens

Now I know why are there so many ppl turn to the dark side now... Free to clean the sensor and Viewfinder,.. :think: too expensive for me to be at the dark side. :D

Hi yowch, thanks for the suggestion, you have got the kit? It works very simple and straightforward? The output is just nice and pleasing? I dun want to commit myself of doing it myself is because what happen if I did something wrong to the sensor? Very expensive... :D But if it is really "safe", I wont mind doing it myself ;)

In fact, there is one statement courtesy from sfhuang on how to step-by-step DIY CCD cleaning, our CSer.

Thank you so much for all the solutions and suggestions.

p/s: Hi nexus17, do u think the ppl at canon check your firmware or something, do i have to revert back to the original firmware? cos i am a "hacker" hahaha

Erm,

I have no idea if they will check your firmware when they clean your sensor.

OT on the part which Nikon provide free CCD cleaning during warranty....dun think that is a strong pull to get me over to the dark side...... :nono:

:bsmilie:

Sumball, u better revert back to yr original firmware. Else if they checked, they can void yr warranty :bigeyes:

gryphon said:
Sumball, u better revert back to yr original firmware. Else if they checked, they can void yr warranty :bigeyes:

thanks for remiding, my warranty is expiring soon... mid of Nov :D

what i m afraid is they refuse to repair for me in future, play safe, to be a good boy, revert. hahaha ;p

Someone suggested you use Canned Air, this is a bad idea as some canned air can discharge a liquid when used and this will totally mess up your CCD. Use a blower first and then if you don't have choice use a Sensor Swab with Eclipse fliud with the copperhill method. Or try the Visible Dust sensor brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.